XTOOL VAG 401 Question

cqk56

TDI
2011 JSW TDI
I bought one of these Xtool Vag401 for fuel filter changes and to read codes, I tried to run the fuel pump following the procedure on the youtube video, all that happens is the glow plug light goes on then off, also the screen looks different from the video. Does anyone know if the fuel pump code is different on this tool?

Also tried to get an update online at the xtool website but I have a better chance of winning the lottery then getting this thing updated. Any advice from someone who has one of these is appreciated, I really don't want to spend 300 or 400 dollars for a ross-tech to just do filter changes. Thanks

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Unfortunately, that's the price one pays for sub-par equipment.

I'm not trying to be mean, but we have all gone through the cheap equipment then realized just how much better the genuine cable is.

Not only do you have full support from the company, but you also have a LARGE customer base that can answer just about any question because we are all so familiar with the product,

I cant think of anyone who uses the Xtool product so I dont think anyone is familiar with their software or customer service.

I hate to say it, but i think your only chance of help is with Xtool. And I genuinely wish you luck....

sprinks

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta tdi (gone); now mk7 gti
Having used this tool before and run the fuel pump for a prime, i can say it should be near identical to the steps of running the fuel pump with vcds. i'll see if i can review my notes on the procedure in the next day or so, alas, no longer have a tdi, but should be able to go through and check into it.

And as for updating it, this is the best walkthrough on that bit. Go to the xtool website, www.xtooltech.com, choose english, there should be an image link that says "update tool" and it'll install the update application.
This is the best walkthrough to update it.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7133582-Xtool-VAG401-VAG-scan-tool-review

Link the device using the microsd in a reader or plug your reader in via usb (you'll need to look at the serial number on the tool's menus anywho).

Certainly not as much of a cake walk as a vcds, but as everyone says, it's a "you get what you pay for" situation. It really is a shame powerslave's old thread with all the walkthroughs has gone to the ether.

Last edited:

cqk56

TDI
2011 JSW TDI
Thanks for the reply's. I tried the update and entered the serial number but the site wants a dealer number too. Maybe its because I have a mac computer that it dosn't work.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Thanks for the reply's. I tried the update and entered the serial number but the site wants a dealer number too. Maybe its because I have a mac computer that it dosn't work.
If it's asking for a dealer number, you're doing something wrong, probably trying to register for an account. You don't need to do that.

The updater is a windows application, so you must be able to run Windows. I have it in a virtual machine using Parallels on my Mac, but there are other ways to do it.

From inside Windows, launch a browser, go to www.xtooltech.com, set the language to English, and scroll down a little bit until you see the image for Update Tool. Click on that. It will download the setup program (setup_en.exe) to your computer.

Once the file is downloaded, launch it. It will run the installer. Once the installer completes, click the "Run UpgradeTool" button.

Remove the microSD card from the VAG401, insert it into the microSD reader that came with your VAG401, and plug the microSD reader into your computer. Make sure your virtual machine connects to the reader (it should show up as a removable drive).

When the upgrade tool launches, it will prompt you for a username/serial number and a password. The username is the serial number from the back of your unit (I entered vag in lowercase). The password is found on the "About" screen on your unit and is 8 digits long.

Once you log in, the program will show which updates are available. For me, right now, it's showing version 8.41 for "VAG401", dated 8/10/15, and version 7.0 for "DISPLAY", dated 9/20/12. Check them both, make sure the drive letter for your card reader is shown next to the SD Card drop-down, and click the Upgrade button at the bottom of the window. A new window will open, and the upgrade files will download (very slowly, if my experience is any indication).

When the download finishes, a window will pop up saying, "Upgrade files which have been downloaded continue?" Click the Yes button. It will copy the files, then say "upgrade successfully." Click OK. Close the updater, eject the SD card, and replace it in your VAG401. You're now upgraded.

I can't help with the fuel filter replacement as I don't (yet, anyway) have an A6.

cqk56

TDI
2011 JSW TDI
If it's asking for a dealer number, you're doing something wrong, probably trying to register for an account. You don't need to do that.
The updater is a windows application, so you must be able to run Windows. I have it in a virtual machine using Parallels on my Mac, but there are other ways to do it.
From inside Windows, launch a browser, go to www.xtooltech.com, set the language to English, and scroll down a little bit until you see the image for Update Tool. Click on that. It will download the setup program (setup_en.exe) to your computer.
Once the file is downloaded, launch it. It will run the installer. Once the installer completes, click the "Run UpgradeTool" button.
Remove the microSD card from the VAG401, insert it into the microSD reader that came with your VAG401, and plug the microSD reader into your computer. Make sure your virtual machine connects to the reader (it should show up as a removable drive).
When the upgrade tool launches, it will prompt you for a username/serial number and a password. The username is the serial number from the back of your unit (I entered vag in lowercase). The password is found on the "About" screen on your unit and is 8 digits long.
Once you log in, the program will show which updates are available. For me, right now, it's showing version 8.41 for "VAG401", dated 8/10/15, and version 7.0 for "DISPLAY", dated 9/20/12. Check them both, make sure the drive letter for your card reader is shown next to the SD Card drop-down, and click the Upgrade button at the bottom of the window. A new window will open, and the upgrade files will download (very slowly, if my experience is any indication).
When the download finishes, a window will pop up saying, "Upgrade files which have been downloaded continue?" Click the Yes button. It will copy the files, then say "upgrade successfully." Click OK. Close the updater, eject the SD card, and replace it in your VAG401. You're now upgraded.
I can't help with the fuel filter replacement as I don't (yet, anyway) have an A6.
Thanks, I will give it a try on a windows machine.

cqk56

TDI
2011 JSW TDI

I ran the upgrade. But the only update is for the display, 7.0 dated 09/20/12. My hardware version on the tool is 5.3 and the upgrade doesn't show any updates like the above stated version 8.41. I guess I will send this back, seem like some people have had success with this tool, this is my second one I ordered thinking the last one I had was defective.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I really don't want to spend 300 or 400 dollars for a ross-tech to just do filter changes. Thanks
On what planet is VCDS $300 or $400? For your car the MicroCan is $249. If your time has absolutly no value, than the Xtool might be for you.

Last edited:

cqk56

TDI
2011 JSW TDI
On what planet is VCDS $300 or $400? For your car the MicroCan is $249. If your time has absolutly no value, than the Xtool might be for you.
True, but I would need a laptop too as I have a Mac. I sent the xtool back and I will now wait and see what happens with dieselgate before I buy a vag-com.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
True, but I would need a laptop too as I have a Mac.
So use Parallels or VirtualBox to install a Windows virtual machine on your Mac. Or pick up a cheap used Windows laptop that will just be used for VCDS.

nole76

TDI
2013 DSG Sportwagen
I just did the update, following the directions by DanB36 - worked great, when you go to the main page and click "diagnosis" it uploads the new info, however, on the "about" page it will still show the old software version, even though it is using the new updated version. Just a heads up because that confused me for a few minutes.