Fuel Pump Relay location???

ItsADiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
i have a 2002 Jetta TDI that wont start and im pretty sure its because its not getting fuel. i want to check the fuel pump relay but i have no idea where it is and everywhere else ive looked online hasnt given me ANY help at all. i figure you guys are the experts when it comes to TDIs. PLEASE HELP! thanks!

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
What makes you so sure it's the relay?Have you checked the filter,fuel lines for bubbles,pressure at the injectors?

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Given the year of your car and possibility of it have a C or D level fuel sender and the temperature there right now,you may be experiencing geling

ItsADiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
it died on me while i was driving about 2 weeks ago. i assumed it just gelled up on me, its done it before. so i replaced the fuel filter and waiting for a "nice day" (about 50 degrees) to try and start it. it will crank all day but wont start.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did you break the "O" ring around the Thermostatic Tee when re-installing it,it happens and you won't even know it,I'd start there

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was talking about the fuel filter first, you said it was fine right,this is the fuel level sender in the tank

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Look closely at the sender,this unit not only transmits fuel level,it is also where the pick up is for the fuel filter,look close you'll see it

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The little triangle section and a check valve,that is what gels up and prevents flow

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
You need to loosen the injector fuel line nuts and bleed the air out before it will start.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Make sure the "new filter" is primed.

Then as MoGolf suggested, bleed the system lines at the injectors. Have a friend crank it over as you bleed the lines......... messy job. But, it shouldn't take long.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
AndyBees said:
Make sure the "new filter" is primed.

Then as MoGolf suggested, bleed the system lines at the injectors. Have a friend crank it over as you bleed the lines......... messy job. But, it shouldn't take long.
Damn it ,I missed that in Post #5

ItsADiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
yea the new filter is primed, yes the glow plug light comes on when i turn the key to the "on" position. im charging the battery right now cuz its pretty dead. so i should bleed them one at a time with a buddy?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Crack open a couple of them and crank the engine until you see the fuel squirting up. Stop, tighten those nuts and try to start. If no start, bleed the other two.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is this car sitting outside or in a garage?
Is it cranking slow or normal speed?

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What the hell did you do to your car?
Normally this is an easy process with all this help you should have had it running by now.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
ItsADiesel said:
it died on me while i was driving about 2 weeks ago. i assumed it just gelled up on me, its done it before. so i replaced the fuel filter and waiting for a "nice day" (about 50 degrees) to try and start it. it will crank all day but wont start.
How did you get it home? (assumes garage is at home)

Is the anti-shudder valve stuck shut?

Did you crank it a bit more after you tightened the fuel line nuts after getting fuel out of all four of them?