Show what you tow!

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
I've already gotten a request to make them bigger which I have not yet done and now a request to make them smaller. As you can see the scale slip pic has been fixed.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Well you still have on huge pic of loading that lathe.

Just for everyone else's benefit post a smaller pic 800x600 that is clickable to the larger full size image. Then you don't blow the page limits out and those that want high resolution can have it too. I am on a 22" monitor and still blowing my screen out by more than half. I have no idea why someone needs a weigh slip the size of Texas to look at.

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta GL IDI, 2010 Jetta TDI (Sold)
Since this is the towing thread I thought I'd ask about my wiring issue here.

I have a uhaul hitch installed by the previous owner. When I hook up my trailer all the lights work for a couple seconds and then I get a lamp sign on the dash and the running lights go out on the trailer.

My brake lights and turn signal lights still operate. It's just the running lights on the trailer that won't work.

Any idea what it could be?

From my research is could be a bad ground connection or one of the wires got frayed as the previous owner did not run the wire to the hitch. Its just sitting in the trunk so I assume he just placed it out the back of the trunk and closed the lid on it.

dandywriter

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon 6M
Try replacing some of the incandescent trailer bulbs with LEDs. This decreases the load (if you add it up, it can be a lot of amps). You can also replace the wiring with a powered wiring kit which takes power from the battery directly; the draw from a trailer is too much for the electrical system. I left the running lights with incandescent bulbs - if you go all LED, the lack of load is interpreted as a burnt out bulb.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I've already gotten a request to make them bigger which I have not yet done and now a request to make them smaller. As you can see the scale slip pic has been fixed.
don't worry about it, thanks for posting pics, man

nice lathe, btw
I'd trade my left nut for a good gearhead

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
@phantom1260 Bulb monitoring on the car is getting mad that there is the additional load from the all the trailer bulbs. Ideal solution is a factory trailer light module (control module that provides the trailer light signals, INDEPENDENT of the car light system). But a powered trailer light module will take load of the car and works for most people.

Jason

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the input. This is why I wanted to post here and get vehicle specific feedback before I went hunting down loose ground connections.

Is there any pre-existing grommet or access I can run the trailer wire through to the hitch. To avoid running it out of the trunk?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I'd just run it out the trunk, the amount of times it gets closed in the trunklid pales in comparison to being exposed to the weather full time.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Yeah, there are grommets, but they are kinda pain to reach. Unless you tow daily or have OCD, then just run it out the trunk like [486] said.

Jason

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Rented a "jumping jack" compactor...

Dropped it off at home and then loaded 960 lbs of #57 stone...

The lid is out of view, but I always cover my loads if I can, especially loose stones and dirt...

I'll use the compactor today, shovel the stone directly from the trailer and into a slab form (maybe compact it?), then put the compactor back into the trailer to return it to the rental place.

Busy days!

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks!

Lock it? No. I suppose I could put some hinged devices that accept padlocks. I may do that if I travel and need extra security on an overnighter. Still, I'm sure that could be easily defeated with bolt cutters or a crowbar since the box is just wood. Otherwise, the lid is just held in place with ratcheting tiedown straps.

Scott

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Thanks for the input. This is why I wanted to post here and get vehicle specific feedback before I went hunting down loose ground connections.

Is there any pre-existing grommet or access I can run the trailer wire through to the hitch. To avoid running it out of the trunk?
With the JSW, I ran the wires out of the drain hole in the spare tire well. The plug drops between the tire well and the rear bumper. Sometimes, I have to fish it off the lip of the rear bumper but it's not a big deal.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
With the JSW, I ran the wires out of the drain hole in the spare tire well. The plug drops between the tire well and the rear bumper. Sometimes, I have to fish it off the lip of the rear bumper but it's not a big deal.

I use this on both my vehicle side and trailer side connectors: Hopkins 48095

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
That would work if there were any metal in the bumper skin! Maybe it would stay on the side of the trailer hitch receiver.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
That would work if there were any metal in the bumper skin! Maybe it would stay on the side of the trailer hitch receiver.

As long as the receiver is steel or iron, it will. Mine works fine with my Bosal Oris hitch.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Is this why they're called "slipper springs?"

I have no idea how long it's been like this. I heard some squeaking over bumps today and found it when I got home. I don't think the retainer is broken. I'll know for sure when I get the wheel off. It looks like it just slipped out. Has anyone ever seen this?

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Yeah. Check bushings up front, and tighten down nuts on spindle.

Then I boxed mine in.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks! What's the spindle? Is that where the spring is attached to the axle? And what do you mean by "boxed in?"

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I meant axle.

I used Square tubing so it can't go side to side.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Okay. Thanks for clarifying. Since I practically have to remove the spring to reinstall it, I may switch back to my 1000# springs since I've been carrying heavier loads lately. Not only should the stiffer springs be less likely to flatten and push through the slipper mount, the leaf is also thicker and may hold its position better. Here's the difference between the two springs:

Someone in another forum speculated that my larger wheels/tires may have contributed due to their higher unsprung weight. I hadn't considered that. The stiffer springs should help mitigate that, too.

Thanks Again,

Scott

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
What's the normal coolant temp for when you're towing.

I was towing a 725 lbs load over the weekend and I saw the coolant temps crawl up to 103 C (217 F) compared to the normal 90 C (194 F) without a trailer.

The needle on the dash didn't really move at all but the digital reading I was getting on my HU through OBDII was reading from 98 C (208 F) to 103 (217 F) Celsius.

Is a 10 C (50 F) rise in temperature negligible?

The weather outside was around 10 C (50 F).

Earlier this year in the summer I took a trip across the US and the weather hit temps of 50 C (122 F) and the coolant temp only ever went up to 93 C (199 F) - This was without a trailer of course.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Nobody’s going to believe that I’m saying this, but downshift and see if you’re coolant temperatures come down.

Assuming you’re cooling system is working properly, not blocked with anything? If you’re at 103c, what are your egt’s and oil temperatures?

Quanger

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 ALH TDi
I miss my 01 golf so much that I had to come check up on tdiclub.com. I haven't been on for almost 2years since I sold my 2dr golf due to the growing family. Here's our new tow pic. Not a tdi. Not even a vw.

Last edited:

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
TDI Tiguan

This is our CJAA converted Tiguan towing a Casita travel trailer. I bought the Tig from the guy that converted it. CJAA with 6 speed.
It had H&R springs on it when I bought it. I changed out the suspension, using Suplex towing springs in the back, standard springs in the front. Bilstein shocks/struts.
It does well towing the Casita, except it really doesn't like taking off on an incline. We now have a TDI Touareg, so I doubt I'll be using the Tiguan much to tow the Casita.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
All fixed! I rented to a 6x12 utility trailer to transport my broken trailer to a local welder. The new suspension hanger is installed and just needs paint. This is the second time my baby trailer has taken a ride in this trailer. The first was when I had the original fenders removed three years ago.

I didn't notice until now, but I'm glad to see that I had enough threads on the U-bolts to accept the thicker 4-leaf springs. It's raining here now. I'll swap the left side springs and paint the new hanger this weekend.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Nobody’s going to believe that I’m saying this, but downshift and see if you’re coolant temperatures come down.

Assuming you’re cooling system is working properly, not blocked with anything? If you’re at 103c, what are your egt’s and oil temperatures?
I usually drive in 4th on the highway with the trailer and keep the rpm's around 2,500 to 2,700. When towing in 5th, the car seems to lug and smoke a lot more. I do notice the temps go up when dragging the trailer uphill and if I turn on the AC, the temp comes down.

Our trailer is such a huge sail, it takes a lot of power to move it.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I just hauled 13 60# redi mix bags in my wagon for 1hr.

Didnt notice anything different Temps or mileage.

Drove 60mph in high gear.

'15 with a dsg

Last edited:
TDI
'13 JSW Tdi, '06 A3 3.2Q
I just picked up a used Harbeck sailboat trailer. German, late 80's.
Seems very solid. Has a funky brake setup that i am going to ditch. I think it was used for a star class boat. I am putting my rhodes 19 on it. Its only going 6 miles, twice a year.

Boat and trailer weigh 1800 lbs. Is this too much for the tdi dsg sportwagen with a curt hitch?