Need opinions for a quiet, LRR tire please

quadboss74

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, reflex silver
Yes, another tire question. Currently running Kumho Ecsta 711's (225/45-17). Wasted one of them the other day with a huge gash in it. I don't really care for these tires much; I find them loud, don't really have a comfortable ride, and I have taken a mileage hit. They do handle pretty good though.
So I am debating between replacing 2 of these tires or maybe just buying a whole new set of something else. The 711's are tough to find now, most places only carry the asx model.
Anyone running a good a/s tire in this size that they are happy with? And not too pricey?? My top priority is a quiet/comfortable ride, not too sticky/LRR. Recommendations appreciated!

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
stay away from the performance summer tires or performance all seasons. best bet is all seasons with a long lifespan (harder rubber = lower rolling resistance and less noise). If you can find some with kevlar belted radials, and a decent directional pattern.

ottoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon ALH
I have been running 225/45-17 Continental ContiProContacts on my '03 Jetta for the last two years and love them. I notice no mileage difference between these and my winter tires (50-55mpg), handling is great, and they have tons of tread left after 30k miles. My snow tires go on in the winter, so I cannot attest to their cold weather handling.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
2 of the top five Tdi club A/S favorites:

• Michelin Pilot Exalto: 4-season A/S
  • Nokian I-3: 3.5 season A/S
Both are LRR, excellent handling. Check out reviews at Tire rack and elsewhere.:)

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
Can I see where the Pilot Exalto is listed as a LRR tire?
Michelin doesn't say anything about it on their site.

quadboss74

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, reflex silver
Well I ended up going with the Exaltos. The Contis had poor reviews on Tirerack and the Nokians were not available in the size I needed-at least what I could find. Hope to get them installed this weekend. I have run these tires briefly on another set of wheels, don't remember what my thoughts were on them though.