Red brake lite flashes

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
This is to speedo's right. It flashes for about 10 sec and then goes out. This has indicated the parking brake was pulled up when the light was on constantly. What does the flashing light mean because pushing down on the lever [which is already down] doesn't stop the flashing? Any help would be nice. Thanks.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
Correct me if I'm wrong but .....I believe that if more than one abs sensor is malfunctioning that light will also flash.
Is your abs light on too?
Did you scan for codes?

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
Max, I believe the BRAKE and ABS lights would both light (and/or flash) with any ABS fault.
That's not my experience....if one abs wheel sensor is out the abs light lights up but not the red brake light.
I've seen two different vehicles that had two sensors out and a flashing red light as well as a sold abs light...once the sensors were replaced all lights went out.

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
flashing red light

I have had an ABS light on. It was the left front, which I fixed. This same ABS light has been on lately, but has been off for 2-weeks or so lately. I just added some fluid, but the level wasen't really low. We'll see if that makes a diff. There's been no ABS and red at the same time, weird. Thanks for the replys

Last edited:

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
Does your abs work properly?
Do you hear/feel it pulsing when you skid to a stop on snow?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
This past Sunday as I was leaving the Shell station on a slight upgrade that had not been plowed my brake light started flashing and the ABS light lit up. They went out after I restarted the engine a while later. Must have been snow build up on one of the ABS sensors.

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
flashing brake lite

I think the issue was low fluid because the flashing was only on at the steep up hill to my house. Added fluid-light now gone.