Stage 2 PD170 (GT TDI) Misfire

vrap

TDI
GT Sport (PD170)
Hi everyone,

Thanks for adding me the forum, long time lurker, never thought I'd be here in such a panic.

I am having really annoying issues with my 2008 Golf MK5 GT Sport (BMN PD170).

I am on a Stage 2 tune by Malone and I have a misfire occurring under full load/acceleration. Sometimes it misfires a few times before continuing forwards.

A log:
http://log.malonetuning.com/chart/3...DrMOzw6XDi2kywqnDo8OAwrZ9bGPDvABoIcKDORcBAAA=

My injector deviations seem okay, and they were replaced maybe 3-4 years ago under the recall.

Has anyone had this before? How can I find exactly what is wrong? I tried putting a stock map back (for a little bit as it doesn't have the delete mappings) and the issue doesn't occur, however this tune is so common and I haven't seen the issues elsewhere.

EDIT: Ps. no errors in VCDS

V

Last edited:

nosmoketoday

TDI
MK6 Golf GTD
Hmmm, could be boost leak somewhere between the turbo and the intake? Do a little visual inspection and look for cracks or gaps along the tubing. Boost leaks due to increased boost doesn't show that well on stock map so you might want to put the Stage 2 tune back in when/if you find a leak. Good luck!

vrap

TDI
GT Sport (PD170)
Hmmm, could be boost leak somewhere between the turbo and the intake? Do a little visual inspection and look for cracks or gaps along the tubing. Boost leaks due to increased boost doesn't show that well on stock map so you might want to put the Stage 2 tune back in when/if you find a leak. Good luck!
Hi mate, I am not very good at this, what is the best way to go about finding a boost leak in this car?

nosmoketoday

TDI
MK6 Golf GTD
Hi mate, I am not very good at this, what is the best way to go about finding a boost leak in this car?
Hi again! I don't remember exactly how the intake tubing and piping is arranged in your engine bay but if it looks something like my MK6 GTD there is a combination of pipes and connections from the turbo via intercooler and up to the intake. On my car, the pressure side of the turbo (where you want to look) is on the right side when facing the car from the front. Here you can follow the piping around the engine and down to the intercooler which is mounted low in front of the radiator. From the outlet on the left side of the intercooler you can follow the last bit up to the intake.

So, first of all I suggest you check if any of the pipes are loose or misplaced/not connected. Then check or change all the clamps along the piping described above.

If all seems good, try testing your turbo actuator as well. The rod could be prevented from working as normal which gives uneven pressure readings. Disconnect the pressure hose on the top of the actuator and connect a bicycle pump or something to the niple to use as a pressure source. Then see if the rod moves in a smooth motion.

Hope some of this helps and that you figure out the problem. If not, I'am sure there are someone here on the forum that are more experienced than me who can give you some helpfull advise! :)

vrap

TDI
GT Sport (PD170)
Hi again! I don't remember exactly how the intake tubing and piping is arranged in your engine bay but if it looks something like my MK6 GTD there is a combination of pipes and connections from the turbo via intercooler and up to the intake. On my car, the pressure side of the turbo (where you want to look) is on the right side when facing the car from the front. Here you can follow the piping around the engine and down to the intercooler which is mounted low in front of the radiator. From the outlet on the left side of the intercooler you can follow the last bit up to the intake.
So, first of all I suggest you check if any of the pipes are loose or misplaced/not connected. Then check or change all the clamps along the piping described above.
If all seems good, try testing your turbo actuator as well. The rod could be prevented from working as normal which gives uneven pressure readings. Disconnect the pressure hose on the top of the actuator and connect a bicycle pump or something to the niple to use as a pressure source. Then see if the rod moves in a smooth motion.
Hope some of this helps and that you figure out the problem. If not, I'am sure there are someone here on the forum that are more experienced than me who can give you some helpfull advise! :)
So I gave it a go, but no leaks from what I could find.