Lost power to my lift pump

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
Well my lift pump was intermittently working the last month, when it has issues I can feel the lift pump relay erratically going in and out. But now there isn't any power getting back to the lift pump. Also when it was having the power issue I pulled the relay housing out and was playing with the wiring to see if I could detect the culprit and it would seem to be fine, then when I reinstalled the housing it would start going in and out again. So I've had to just stick my old sending unit in there.
I've double check all my connections, 3 of them are soldered, and 2 have butt end connectors. Maybe I need to get rid of the butt end connectors and solder everything. It's been fine for 6 years. I've also changed the relay out with no difference.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Sure the pump isn't bad?

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
When I pulled the pump out, I connected power to it and it runs. When I get a chance I'm going to see if I can chase it down. Hopefully I'll find the culprit.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Running the pump out of the tank and in the tank are 2 different beasts as the fuel creates a drag with can stop the pump from working, but when out of the tank and no drag, it will operate.

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
I ran the pump when it was full of fuel and it run stead with the amount of fuel that was in there.