Gtb 2260vklr

Festa

Veteran Member
TDI
Vw t5 van
Hi guys :)
Managed to pick up a gtb2260vklr for a reasonable price but since it's off a mb the exhaust snail doesn't work for me as the inlet turns the same direction as the outlet, so I had the snail altered to suit my manifold. If I didn't go this route what other possible snail could I have used that would have fitted ?
The reason I ask is because now the snail body is rubbing the back of the block and it could have done with having more of an angle cut off the top of the inlet before the flange was welded on so it falses the snail awayfrom the block.
Any possible suggestions please.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Could you grind the flange face to increase the angle and give it more room?
The bolt holes can be relieved to accommodate the angle change.
If that isn't feasible then start stacking gaskets, I guess.

Festa

Veteran Member
TDI
Vw t5 van
I could possibly do that as the flange that's welded on is 3/4" thick and I would need to take of at least 3/8" on one side to nothing. The holes that are tapped in the flange would have to be infilled and re drilled/tapped to accommodate the change of angle. Didn't want to multi gasket as didn't want to increase risk of blowing gaskets.

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
The best way to do it is to get a GTB2260VK exhaust housing and have it machined to fit the VKLR. This is what I did with my gtb2060vklr. If you look up JTT on facebook or google. He does machining and is located in Germany. Then it bolts to any of the tubular manifolds along with a few log type manifolds. The biggest challenge you will face is oil supply and return. This is my current issue.

Turbo Z

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A2 mercedes c270
The best way to do it is to get a GTB2260VK exhaust housing and have it machined to fit the VKLR. This is what I did with my gtb2060vklr. If you look up JTT on facebook or google. He does machining and is located in Germany. Then it bolts to any of the tubular manifolds along with a few log type manifolds. The biggest challenge you will face is oil supply and return. This is my current issue.
have not avd kits for the oil?

Festa

Veteran Member
TDI
Vw t5 van
I haven't a problem with the oil supply or the water pickup other than it gets a bit tight with the hoses on the unions that are mounted on the adaptor plate. I may have a problem with the water return as I didn't want to use an 'o' ring and clamping bracket but if that's what I have to do them so be it. Does the oil have to be restricted a bit or is that done internally to the turbo as I don't want it finding another way out of the core..
One other question is the vnt arm...does this get shortened to suit the actuator as it appears that the movement of the actuator won't match that of the arm.....if that makes sense. Thanks for the replys

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
have not avd kits for the oil?
They do but I wasn't a fan of it. The oil supply line will interfere with your oil return. It should really be a banjo bolt. which is what I'm going to.

I haven't a problem with the oil supply or the water pickup other than it gets a bit tight with the hoses on the unions that are mounted on the adaptor plate. I may have a problem with the water return as I didn't want to use an 'o' ring and clamping bracket but if that's what I have to do them so be it. Does the oil have to be restricted a bit or is that done internally to the turbo as I don't want it finding another way out of the core..
One other question is the vnt arm...does this get shortened to suit the actuator as it appears that the movement of the actuator won't match that of the arm.....if that makes sense. Thanks for the replys
The oil should be restricted. Mine has a ~5mm hole that restricts it in the fitting on the turbo.

The actuator arm plunge isn't the same amount of movement as the arm swings. This is the same across all turbos. I made mine so that at full vacuum it just hits full close.

Festa

Veteran Member
TDI
Vw t5 van
They do but I wasn't a fan of it. The oil supply line will interfere with your oil return. It should really be a banjo bolt. which is what I'm going to.

The oil should be restricted. Mine has a ~5mm hole that restricts it in the fitting on the turbo.

The actuator arm plunge isn't the same amount of movement as the arm swings. This is the same across all turbos. I made mine so that at full vacuum it just hits full close.
Ok so the the vnt arm on the gt is around a 1/3 shorter than that of the vklr so surely it would have less movement :confused: does it open enough to clear emp:confused:
I have two vacuum actuator's...a adjustable rod from a gt and a fixed lenght from a gtb so which one would be prefered as to keep the actuator at 90degree's to the arm as it looks like it's going to get a bit tight.
Also been looking at the lack of stop screw and if people just use the actuator as a stop as per the electronic or fit one some how :confused:
There seems more than one way to achieve this but is there a prefered.

Thanks for the reply's so many question's as everyday's a school day :)

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
The one I was provided is adjustable and I've set it up to provide fully movement. I would swap your's to the adjustable vacuum. My turbo also has an adjustable stop screw that was welded on. I can take pictures and post them tonight if you want.

Festa

Veteran Member
TDI
Vw t5 van
The one I was provided is adjustable and I've set it up to provide fully movement. I would swap your's to the adjustable vacuum. My turbo also has an adjustable stop screw that was welded on. I can take pictures and post them tonight if you want.
Ok that would be great :) I have a actuator off a gtb1749 and it's a fixed length rod where as the gt2260v that I have has an adjustable rod which I will probably use as it has more adjustment.

Festa

Veteran Member
TDI
Vw t5 van
Did you manage to get the vklr to fit?
I have a 5 into 1 manifold made a few years back and I had decided to keep this rather than start again. In doing so the turbo flange is wrong for the new turbo and so I cut the neck off and started by having a new flange welded to the turbo, this was all done when the engine was in the vehicle.
Now the engine had a major issue with oil loss and I lost oil flow to the top end..(including the turbo) I thought I would stick in on but the exhaust snail hits the water section on the back of the block:( Now as the flange has been welded to the snail I have had to mill off 0mm-12mm across the face and have another flangle cut out off 15mm plate incase the angle wasn't enough...it's not. I have to weld the 15mm plate to the top of the existing flange and mill it again from 0mm-7mm to increase the angle.
It's going to get a bit tight around the back of the engine with the turbo to the fire wall as the vklr is a bit larger than the gt2260, then that's another problem with the actuator. I will have to clock and re pin the snails once I know what angles I need and then sort the actuator but what I was going to use might not have enought clearance from the rod adjuster and the conversion plate of the turbo.
Going to fit the gt2260 back for the moment as it's in bits as this is the last weekend before I go on my summer break and need the vehicle.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Go to dealer and byy the water return pipe then just gey a hydraulic shop to cut and crimp a new braided hose to it so you can tee into the heater matrix pipes...