02 Jetta was running fine and died and won’t restart

KyleMillione

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta, 03 Jetta
Hey guys,
So my wife took the Jetta out last night and it died and wouldn’t start again. It was 6f outside so I had thought possibly the fuel gelled in the line, although the fuel was treated with howes. I went back to it today, it’s 20f out now, and it still won’t start. I checked the fuel filter and it was almost empty. I filled it with diesel and still no start. There is a large air bubble in the clear fuel line to the pump. Am I boned? I’m afraid that the IP has died.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
Sounds like your problem could be....

Your sending unit/fuel pick-up, that is in your fuel tank, has a very small orifice at a check valve that can and often will bridge/plug with debris, ice, and/or gelled fuel.
When this happens the vacuum created by the inj pump trying to suck fuel will cause air to be sucked into the fuel system at the weakest link, usualy the thermo T at the filter. This all happens more commonly in cold temps.
See....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRMTEAKsScE
If this is your problem search "ALH TDI blocked check valve in sending unit".
The check valve can be drilled out and removed.
After checking for and fixing blockage replace your fuel filter with a new one, filled with fuel, and prime the inj pump and the injectors because you will have air in the system.good luck.If you don't know how to prime the ip and injectors....search.

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Also you will have to bleed the system.
If the filter hasn't been changed in a while now might be a good time.
Taking it out and to a warm place to drain it and any water that may be in the bottom.
Easiest way to bleed it is with a vacuum pump to suck fuel through the filter and injection pump.
After that you have to loosen the injector lines at the injectors and crank the engine until fuel comes out with little bubbling.
Have rags around the base of the injectors to catch the fuel.
There's posts with detailed steps if needed, search for bleeding injector pump or such.

KyleMillione

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta, 03 Jetta
Thanks guys,
I just towed it home on my trooper. Unfortunately since I don’t have a garage to work in, and it’s supposed to snow tomorrow, i’m gonna have to wait a bit to take it all apart. I’m hoping that’s all it is, but it seems logical because she didn’t make it far, and it was probably running on the fuel in the filter. I’ll keep you posted.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Definitely sounds like your sending unit check valve, reason is you said you're fuel filter was empty. That leads me to believe your issue is well before your IP.

Bajan

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
If the filter was nearly empty you probably have a restriction (e.g. gelled fuel, given the temperature) and the vacuum pulled was enough to open up a seal somewhere and get air into the line (e.g. at the Thermo-T on the fuel filter)

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
The fuel may have gelled at 6˚. Once it gels it will stay gelled below freezing. They make chemicals to help fix the gel, but a nice warm 40˚ garage will do the trick. I'd rule that out before going thru all the fuel system. An empty fuel filter is what makes me interweb diagnose gelling.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
What Bob said -- usually if the filter is empty (or has air in it even if not completely empty) you usually have a plugged fuel flow and the lift pump's suction drew air past the Thermo-T seals and into the filter.

If it's cold (below 32F) then the usual cause of that is gelled fuel -- not always, but quite frequently.

KyleMillione

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta, 03 Jetta
Hey guys,
So I ordered a new fuel filter and mickey clip (because it’s lost on the side of the road:mad:) from Bora Parts. When it stops snowing I’m gonna take a mityvac to the fuel line and check for restrictions. The fuel should flow relatively easy from the tank right? If it seems restricted I’ll pull the fuel pickup and drill out the check valve. Thanks for all the help and I’ll keep you posted.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
Hey guys,
So I ordered a new fuel filter and mickey clip (because it’s lost on the side of the road:mad:) from Bora Parts. When it stops snowing I’m gonna take a mityvac to the fuel line and check for restrictions. The fuel should flow relatively easy from the tank right? If it seems restricted I’ll pull the fuel pickup and drill out the check valve. Thanks for all the help and I’ll keep you posted.
Yes, it should flow very easily, virtualy no resistance at all.
Even if it seems to flow easily, you may want to check the check valve anyway...if it was gelled/waxed up at that spot it may have thawed enough if things warmed up to flow again. I guess what I'm trying to say is if it was mine I'd drill out the check valve anyway as a preventitive maintenance thing.
One tip try to do it when the tank isn't full to the brim or you may get some spillage.

KyleMillione

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta, 03 Jetta
Hey guys,
The Hess trucks back and it’s better than ever! It finally got above freezing and I was able to dig out and work on it. I drilled out the check valve and primed the system and she fired. I didn’t change the filter as it only has 3000 miles on it and it didn’t seem damaged (no gel/water). Unfortunately now I think I killed the fuel gauge. I guess I’m gonna have to take it apart again and check the cables to the sending unit.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Yes he does; it's in the IP itself and draws fuel through the filter.

What he doesn't have is an in-tank pressure feed pump.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Please shed some light on this, maybe I got it wrong. So to be clear your saying the lift pump is built into the injection pumps ?

Bajan
He must be just saying it acts as a lift pump.
...................... Unfortunately now I think I killed the fuel gauge. I guess I’m gonna have to take it apart again and check the cables to the sending unit.
I apologize, I meant to warn you. There is a small, delicate plastic lever in the fuel pick-up that is real easy to break. I did. Hope it's just a loose wire.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Please shed some light on this, maybe I got it wrong. So to be clear your saying the lift pump is built into the injection pumps ?

Bajan
It is a lift pump. It's a positive-displacement vane pump in the IP and provides the fuel feed to the high-pressure side. Everything prior to the IP on the ALH vehicles is under suction.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
It is a lift pump. It's a positive-displacement vane pump in the IP and provides the fuel feed to the high-pressure side. Everything prior to the IP on the ALH vehicles is under suction.

Ok I understand what your saying, technically it is providing both suction and pressure.

Bajan