Brake and Fluid Flush - DIY

tncrom

TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Manual (Took Buyback), 2015 TDI Passat SE Manual
Brake and CLUTCH Fluid Flush - DIY

Hello,
2015 Passat TDI SE w/ 6 spd Manual
I'm using a pressurizing method to flush and replace the brake fluid today. I understand the procedure for the brakes as there's great info on youtube and in forums.
My question is about flushing the clutch slave cylinder. Is it located underneath the battery box? Or under the air box? Looks like I will need to remove the airbox to locate I'm thinking.
Or can it be found elsewhere? Guidance appreciated. It's Saturday, so I'm in the midst of this right now -- here I go! Can't wait much longer as weather is getting colder ever week here in Iowa.
Thanks in advance.
Chris

Last edited:

Swinging Steel

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Sportwagen 6M, '15 Passat 6M
I just did it on our 13 wagon. I was surprised to find the bleeder on the slave was plastic and held in with a circlip. I know this is the nms thread, but it might be similar. Did have to take out the air box for access. And it helps even more to have a nice length of tubing. The fitting on the wagon was a 1/4 turn I believe, maybe 1/2. Did it by hand, but you could put a wrench on it.

tncrom

TDI
Thanks for the info. Meantime yesterday, I kept searching for it and made a couple of pictures that will hopefully help others if they run into this too. There isn't much mention anywhere of a bleeder valve block on the internet. ECS makes an aftermarket bleeder valve block which helped me find the OEM version on the car. It's exactly like you describe, Swinging. Underneath the airbox and with a plastic "nut" / valve. The two pictures show the location of the clutch bleeder valve for the slave cylinder underneath the airbox and the second shows a closer view of the valve itself. Mine has a yellow plastic nut which is shown by the arrow.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/161263043@N06/30226281437/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/161263043@N06/44442509734/in/date
posted-public/

Swinging Steel

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Sportwagen 6M, '15 Passat 6M
Yeah, it's pretty cheesy if you ask me... But in reality, how much do you really need to do that job in the first place? It's not like you're ever going to boil the fluid in the clutch.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
going to the way back machine, this is from my 2010.

Did fluid flush once at Nov '11, so just over 2 years service, def came out milky white I did have to pull the air box.

tncrom

TDI
going to the way back machine, this is from my 2010.

Did fluid flush once at Nov '11, so just over 2 years service, def came out milky white I did have to pull the air box.

Thanks for that additional info. Did the fluid coming out at the brakes also have the milky white appearance or was it only at the clutch bleed location? Thanks again. Chris

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
i remember the clutch being more milky than the brakes, something like 2-3" of fluid in the tubing on the clutch compared to 1/2" or less and way less milky from the calipers.