GTG May 5-6th -South San Jose

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
Hey All!
Matt (Matt-98AHU) - our wonderful traveling guru!- is coming up to the Bay Area to do some work on my car the weekend of May 5-6, so we thought we'd make it a GTG and see who else needed work or who just wanted to come hang. I know it's a little short notice, but hey! sometimes those are the best one's!

I'm supplying the work space for Matt and socializing. The only thing I ask is that people respect my home and the space, as I also live with 5 other people. I'll try to get the grill up and running (though no guarantee's) and I have some chairs, enough for about 10 people.

Don't show up empty-handed. :) I'm a poor school teacher and can not afford to supply food for everyone! Help us all out and pitch in if your coming. Please sign up for foodage and any work you wish to have done by Matt. We'll set up a schedule as time get's near and post any updates on this 1st post.

WHEN: May 5, 9am-11pm for socializing (work schedule pending)
May 6, 9am-8pm for socializing (work schedule pending)
Phone: 401-378-2391

I live on the edge of Bay Area civilization! So for those of you farther up the peninsula or East Bay, make it a fun road trip! C'mon down to the South Side (that's actually a dive bar within walking distance of my house! *hint hint*) and stop in for a visit! I hope to see a bunch of people's there! :cool:

SCHEDULE UPDATED!
As always, the schedule is subject to change, based on the state of the jobs. Please remember, Matt is only 1 man (though, sometimes he works on a level of 5 men, so it seems). So patience and flexibility are a must have. You're all welcome to work in the driveway as space allows. I only have some tools, so make sure to bring whatever you need for the job you're doing. And of course, please clean up and take away all your parts, fluids, and trash with you.

Saturday May 5th, 9am - Whenever

FOOD:
1. Zippy - Salad, veggie platter, crackers, bagels, fruits, cous-cous du jour, other assorted tasty's, Gatorade, water
2. smendick - beer
3. OnePutt - something tasty

Work done by Matt:
9am - Zippy - Timing Belt, Drive Train drama (axle?, ball joint?, sticky brakes?), adjust the linkage (clunking into gear?), balance
and clean the injectors, and still tracking down the oil leak. :eek:
**OnePut - Limp Mode Issues - There's a spot in the driveway for you.
Late saturday: smendick - squeaky roller, skid plate install

Sunday May 6th - 9am - 8pm

FOOD:
1. Zippy -whatever's left over! :p
2. Skully - Meat!
3. ZenT - Fruit

Work done by Matt:

Skully - compression check, put on my dieselgeek FMJ side-skirts, and if there's time drill a hole for my EGT probe.
ZenT - final drive output shaft seal leak
10am - Treyca - Some big stuff!
Afternoonish - "Bruce" - sound diagnosis. '98 Jetta

Last edited:

smendick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf ALH 5-sp manual
I have a squeaky upper roller from a previous TB install that I want Matt to check out. Put me down for Saturday AM-ish. I know that doesn't pay the bills for Matt, but I'll bring some beer.

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
On Cinco de Drinko weekend?!?!? Come on Zippy. Pick a better date! :p
Sorry, Noel. I work when the guru's available. I put my first trip diving on hold for this day (can't dive without a car to transport the gear!). I want my car back! :(

Besides, Cinco de Mayo... in a place names San Jose! C'mon! Bring some decorations, we can make sombrero's and I can play the part of senorita. In the evening, when all the work's done, we light some cigars, play some music and celebrate TDI style!

**edited out my cultural ignorance, based on Noel's kind correction. :p

Last edited:

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Besides, Cinco de Mayo... in a place names San Jose! C'mon! Bring some decorations, we can make sombrero's and I can play the part of senorita. In the evening, when all the work's done, we light some cigars, play some music and celebrate Mexican Independence TDI style!
Oh Zippy... where do I start?!?!?! Cinco de Mayo is NOT Mexican Independence Day. It's a battle won in the city of Puebla. Mexican Independence Day is in September.

So you can play the part of a senorita, huh? Oh so many dirty thoughts! lol Any more senorita's in your household?!?!? :D ;)

skully

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2013 GLI Autobahn w/nav, 2014 BMW 328d wagon
I'm in for Sunday. I have plans for that Saturday already I have to go to.

Put me down for a sunday afternoon slot to do a compression check, put on my dieselgeek FMJ side-skirts, and if there's time drill a hole for my EGT probe.

I can bring meat to grill. Sadly Dittmer's is still closed but I know a couple places to get good sausages and brats still.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
5 roommates? That sounds like a party! Wish I could make it; I have an exam on the 5th that I need to get 99% on or better!

Baumeister

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Beetle Convertible, '03 New Beetle TDI 5sp, '94 Audi Cabriolet(AFN swap in progress)
Wish we could make it, but I've got a show running both days. The NB is finally running great, I just want to tap the timing back a touch. Looking forward to just hanging out, but still need to install my skidplate BEFORE my next trip to the Bay Area!

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
5 roommates? That sounds like a party! Wish I could make it; I have an exam on the 5th that I need to get 99% on or better!
ouch! So come on Sunday and drink yourself into oblivion to decompress. lol
My roommate, Andy, will have the new Ducati Panigale on display (with a 40 ft fence around it!) :eek::cool:

Oh Zippy... where do I start?!?!?! Cinco de Mayo is NOT Mexican Independence Day. It's a battle won in the city of Puebla. Mexican Independence Day is in September.

So you can play the part of a senorita, huh? Oh so many dirty thoughts! lol Any more senorita's in your household?!?!? :D ;)
Damn! :eek: I knew I should have looked it up. Still, any day is a good day to celebrate Independence! Thanks for the update to my knowledge data bank.

And, as a matter of fact, there are 2 other Senorita's in the house. 1 older than I with a 10y/o daughter and on-again-off-again boyfriend. The other is slightly younger than I, with a 4 y/o son. Both divorcee's. I wouldn't suggest hitting on either one of them, however, for reasons I shall keep to myself. :rolleyes:

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
And, as a matter of fact, there are 2 other Senorita's in the house. 1 older than I with a 10y/o daughter and on-again-off-again boyfriend. The other is slightly younger than I, with a 4 y/o son. Both divorcee's. I wouldn't suggest hitting on either one of them, however, for reasons I shall keep to myself. :rolleyes:
Well at least I know they put out!! lol

Wonder what those reasons are.... hmmmm????

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf (Silver) | 2005 Jetta Wagon (Spice Red)
I could use some help diagnosing and fixing a limp mode issue if there is time. I might try to get under my car this weekend to see if it is something I can fix, but other wise I am thinking this is a great time for me to have a professional give it a once over.

And I can bring some food...does it have to be home made? I am a father of a 2 year old...I have more money than time.

I'll PM matt to see if he has time.

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
Damn! I'm going down to Morro Bay for their car show this weekend & to hang out with the old gang from grade school. Have fun!!!

ZenT

TDI
2003 Jetta
I would like Matt to check if I have a final drive output shaft seal leak. I can come by on Sunday. I will bring fruits.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Wish I could make it! I haven't been out to the west coast in years!

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Contact info updated. A work schedule is pending from Matt. I know he had a few others who had contacted him originally. I'm waiting to hear back and see what he's planning so I can post estimated work times. I'll keep you updated as I know.

Lawson! Bummer, I'd love to see you and Jason out here! I've got couches and plenty of floor space to crash on if you change your mind. ;-) I say: ROAD TRIP!

smendick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf ALH 5-sp manual
Thanks for organizing Zippy! Can you also add in a skidplate install to my job queue for Matt? All in all, a replacement roller+skid plate install won't likely take more than an hour or so if everything goes as expected.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Hey all, just going to post a preliminary schedule. It is still in the works. Had a crazy weekend with family and a heater core job yesterday that ate up a bunch of time. Doing my best to catch up.

Saturday:
9 AM) Zippy--timing belt, diag sound?
I'll take time wherever I can to give OnePutt a diagnosis on his limp mode issue.
~1PM) OnePutt -- Limp mode diag
2 PM) smendick -- Skid plate install, possible upper roller on timing belt, or at least get a solid diagnosis on the source of the sound.

Beer o'clock!

Sunday:

10 AM?) Treyca -- Lift pump and injectors.
Gentleman by the name of Bruce will stop by sometime in the afternoon to pinpoint a sound, just give a solid diagnosis on his '98 Jetta.

Get under ZenT's car at some point to check out the fluid leak.

2 PM) See what we can do for Zach (skully). Compression check and FMJ won't be a problem. I'll do my best to figure out what I can do about the EGT probe time-depending, but should be able to get to it.

Trey is coming from a ways away, so he may be a little later in the morning, so if someone with one of these smaller jobs wanted to show up early (like, say, 8 AM Sunday) I could likely take care of it first thing.

I may stick around the area on Monday to take care of a couple other random things outside of Zippy's GTG and take care of any leftover work if need be or just do some junkyard diving (several Pick-n-Pulls in the area!), Tuesday I need to be in L.A., though.

Last edited:

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds good. Thanks for sending this out.

Zippy - is your work area big enough to have two cars on jack stands? If so, I can bring my own we can work concurrently to help ease Matt's load.

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Updates on 1st post!

SCHEDULE UPDATED!
As always, the schedule is subject to change, based on the state of the jobs. Please remember, Matt is only 1 man (though, sometimes he works on a level of 5 men, so it seems). So patience and flexibility are a must have. You're all welcome to work in the driveway as space allows. I only have some tools, so make sure to bring whatever you need for the job you're doing. And of course, please clean up and take away all your parts, fluids, and trash with you.
Zippy - is your work area big enough to have two cars on jack stands? If so, I can bring my own we can work concurrently to help ease Matt's load.
It's a 2 car garage, but we'll want to make sure Matt has plenty of space to work. I have a short driveway that you're welcome to use. But be aware it has a slight slant to it, so we'll see we can do for some chocks to prevent sliding.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
On Trey's car, I'm doing lift pump and injectors. So not quite as large a job as I thought. There was talk of turbo swaps and other jobs at first, but parts won't arrive in time for the weekend.

I've done a quick update to the schedule in my original post.

Sent a PM to ZenT. ZenT and Bruce are both diagnosis jobs on Sunday, not necessarily doing work. So I've told them both a rigid schedule isn't completely necessary, I can take a few minutes out of whatever job I'm working on at the time to give a diagnosis, figure things out from there. I may have someone jack the cars up for me and put them on jack stands to help me out and save time.

I will be on the road tomorrow and will do my best to stay in touch and finalize the scheduling.

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Woo hoo! Gettin' her done!
anyone else can feel free to stop by and be social. You don't have to be getting work done to visit! We'll be here, hiding in the garage all weekend, feel free to pop in! :D

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
OK! Matt has arrived safely, we're a go for wrenching! woo hoo!
AND... a bonus... my roommate got the grill working! So, yay! Grillables are possible.
See y'all then!

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey guys...running late. I don't think I am on the critical path today...I should be there closer to 10:30/11...I gotta pick up food.