01 Jetta, Hard to start when hot

merkerguitars

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta
Well I bought an 01 Jetta TDI with 270k on the clock. A little previous history about the car, at 268K it had the timing belt, all idlers, and tensioner replaced. The car was also a previous grease car (I don't run it that way anymore). When I bought the car the thing started really hard when cold and when it was hot, it was really bad. First things I did was replace the starter/clutch/flywheel. The clutch slipped like mad and the starter was making horrible horrible grinding sounds, so I figure it was time to replace them, well that helped it start a little better, then I cleaned out the fuel sender and drilled out the rollover valve (lots of nasty black gunk in the sending unit. Also the car had 3/4's of a tank of fuel in it. Also I replaced the ECT which helped a little. Well today I drove it around and to work and back put about 275 miles on it, (and now down to about 1/8th of a tank). Get to my second job, when the coolant temp is 190, it won't start a bit, put in a new ECT it will take about 1.5 seconds for it to start (hot or cold). I'm thinking I need to do the following now. BTW when started, the car runs fine

Take it to work and compression check it.

Look inside with the boroscope.

Run it off of straight diesel purge.

Double check to see if a decarb is needed.

Any other ideas? People have told me my injectors could be messed up.

Last edited: