2002 jetta tdi oil change

AviDos

TDI
2004 Jetta, BEW
HI all

was going to do my first oil change in my 02 jetta tdi, and i know that there are alot of people doing it by extracting it from the top side.

i was wondering if you can drain it the traditional way as well from the bottom pan. if so is there a special proccess to this.

i took a peek under there and there really isnt a oil pan screw that stands out to me.

thanks

AviDos

TDI
2004 Jetta, BEW
Thank you...took about an hour or so but i took my time the first time took some pics as well with the belly pan and top cover off.

one thing is new though, the oil wentinstantly black right after i started the car. I hear that is normal, because not all the oil gets poured out, wonder if top extraction gets more out and Oil stays cleaner longer.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
The black oil is normal. No problem.

As far as top extraction vs bottom drain, there is no agreement. I suspect the real issue is not top vs bottom but which one does best for which engine. I would also suggest that the difference is just too little to worry about. At my age, I have found that most of those things that worried me when I was 16 don't worry me now at 64.

As it was when I was 16 some people worry over even the smallest of issues and some don't even address the really big ones.

Good Luck