VAG-COM OBD Scanners references/FAQ

dgetta

TDI
2005 getta
Mr. Lee Taylor. Sometime back you sent me a link for a diagnostic scanner and I lost the info. Could you please tell me again, I think it was a can bus tool for about $350, it's for an 05 TDI that I'm having trouble with. Thank-you,dgetta

dgetta

TDI
2005 getta
dgetta a question for Lee Taylor

Awhile back you sent me a link for a diagnostic tool for my 05 TDI, I think it was a can bus tool for $350 and I lost the info, could you please give me that info again. Do you have to have this tool to reset the computer? Thank-you much.

SoKYTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 4-door
...and the light came on!

Just goes to show why I'm here. I was stumbling in the dark with my VAG-COM (VCDS now I guess) -- I could do basic stuff but couldn't figure out the logins for changing stuff. Truly, if I weren't so lazy and could think about going to Ross-Tech's site, I wouldn't be here on this forum. Thanks, Derf!:cool:

BiobobVO

TDI
1996 Passat TDI 1.9L
i have a actron 9180 what is the injection pump timing number with this tool engine running at about 900

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
BiobobVO said:
i have a actron 9180 what is the injection pump timing number with this tool engine running at about 900
Can your actron put the engine into "Basic settings" to remove the computer-controlled timing advance? Didn't think so...

NRath

TDI
2000 NB
I need to know which OBD protocols the VCDS will talk to. I've got a couple Jappers and being able to talk to them would help justify the cost of the VCDS. One is PWM, the other is CAN(ISO 9141, I think). Given that one is CAN, I assume I'd have to get HEX-USB+CAN. But, if it won't talk to that one, I could save a hundred by getting the Kii-USB.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Can this thread be deleted and regrouped to serve it's original purpose (i.e. VAGCOM references/FAQ)? Because as it stands right now it seems to accomplish none of this after the OP. Just a suggestion.

NRath

TDI
2000 NB
If you're referring to my post, I'd have to believe many people could benefit from knowing what protocols VagCom will read qualifying it as a good FAQ.

I would have to agree that there are many FAQ threads that are full of "thank you's" and what not (much like this post and yours) turning them into 18 page monsters that it takes 2 hours to get through only to find the FAQ you're looking for isn't answered. The info in this forum is incredible- if it's broke, someone's posted how to fix it. Just got to find it. I bet there are a billion posts. A newb like myself would probably have to dedicate a lifetime to get through it all.

Thanks Club members!

slam

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI B4V Wagon
I've been on the forums for a couple hours today trying to wrap my head around VAG-COM and various cheaper alternatives. Can anyone give me a more detailed run-down of the comparison between the cheap eBay cable and the full VAG-COM? I also see cracks on thepiratebay.org, thinking about that.

I need to pull and reseal my IP, and there's no way in hell I can afford the full retail VAGCOM to do this. I can afford the eBay version, cracked version, or else I am going to need to find a local loaner in Humboldt County CA. =(

Keithuk

TDI
Golf GTD 2.0 (170)
Ok guys its my first post on here.

I know its early and I shouldn't need it on a new car but I'm an old scout and I like to be prepared.

Now at work we use Crypton ProScan diagnostic equipment. Under the normal system checks Volkswagen isn't listed for anything. It has an EOBD / OBD II option and VW's are listed in there.

Now I've search eBay and there are many types available as well as full scanners. I have a Vista laptop and most of the software only works on 95 to XP. There are plenty of OBD USB cables showing different types and numbers, some come with the software DVD. I'm assuming its going to be 409.1. Some only show Golfs up to 2004.

The other day I bought ElsaWin 7.0 along with ETKA 7 of eBay. I downloaded ElsaWin 3.6 a while ago but it obviously doesn't cover newer models. I've also downloaded ProScan and PCMSCAN.

Now I need the USB to OBD socket test lead. eBay show quite a few again but can anyone recommend a particular USB lead with good software. Some leads come with software but I'm not sure which is the best.

What do you recon of these OBD2's that can remap the ECU for you?

OBD 1 OBD 2 CAR DIAGNOSTIC SOFTWARE DVD OBD 1 & 2

OBD 1 OBD2 CAR DIAGNOSTIC ECU Chip Tuning Software

Any suggestions will be greatfully accepted. ;)

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Keithuk said:
Ok guys its my first post on here.

Any suggestions will be greatfully accepted. ;)
Best suggestion, none of the above. The best thing for ALL VW products is VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System). All of those cheap alternatives are not worth the price. A generic OBDII scanner will only see some of the possible trouble codes - not all of the VW specific codes. If you can afford a new car , you can afford to get the best diagnostic tool (it will do "tricks" that even your dealers testers will not do).

Click here:http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=VAGCOM

Welcome

Don

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Keithuk said:
Your profile says that you have a 2010 VW. Unless you are an expert with diesel control systems (specifically the new Bosch EDC17 controller) remapping your own ECU is downright dangerous. The EDC17employs encryption and other goodies that make it very easy to "brick" if you don't know exactly what you are doing. I doubt that these cheap (perhaps bootleg) software packages know anything about your engine. Proceed at your own risk. You would be much better off buying VCDS and leaving ECU tunes up to the experts.

P.S. If you are an expert - have fun - and let us know how it works out.

Keithuk

TDI
Golf GTD 2.0 (170)
Ok thanks for the advice guys. Its a new motor and I was just curious what could be done and read from the ECU.

I still think I will get a USB to OBD2 lead for use in my Vista laptop so I test the software that I have at the moment, ProScan, PCMSCAN and VAG-COM. ;)

DetroitDiesel06

TDI
2006 Jetta
I have an '06 Jetta TDI and my current OBD2 (usable on all 3 of my '97 Audi A6) reads "ERROR" when scanned. I have an engine indication light light. Is there a newer style OBD2 I need for the '06 vintage or TDI vs. gas?

adocars

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagon
VCDS and Bentley CD

DetroitDiesel06 said:
I have an '06 Jetta TDI and my current OBD2 (usable on all 3 of my '97 Audi A6) reads "ERROR" when scanned. I have an engine indication light light. Is there a newer style OBD2 I need for the '06 vintage or TDI vs. gas?
I have a totally worthless ebahn manual. It does not run on Windows 7 and Bentley does not reply favorably with a reliable workaround. They speculate with user reported workarounds (like a $90 upgrade to windows) that might work. It's no the $90, it's the might part that irritates me.

So I have a CEL
Autozone scantool say P0183 fuel temp sensor.
circuit might be open, might be short, might have a bad sensor.

It reset,
it came back in two weeks.
It resets with the ignition key, switch 4 times on-off without starting.

I don't mind laying out the money for the VCDS and dongle, but will it be useful without the Bentley manual?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
adocars said:
I have a totally worthless ebahn manual. It does not run on Windows 7 and Bentley does not reply favorably with a reliable workaround.

I don't mind laying out the money for the VCDS and dongle, but will it be useful without the Bentley manual?
In my opinion the eBahn manual is mostly useless with any Windows version. It has some serious bugs with printing (and other things), plus the DRM is a real PITA sometimes. I strongly suggest the paper manual from Bentley. (I have both)

That said: VCDS is can still be useful even without the manual.

Have Fun!

Don

adocars

TDI
ebahn manual , VCDS

JSWTDI09 said:
In my opinion the eBahn manual is mostly useless with any Windows version. It has some serious bugs with printing (and other things), plus the DRM is a real PITA sometimes. I strongly suggest the paper manual from Bentley. (I have both)

That said: VCDS is can still be useful even without the manual.

Have Fun!

Don
Yes, indeed, $125 frisbee (CD)
Paper manual is as much, and Bentley is the only resource. Right?

thanks,
WES

adocars

TDI
VCDS now seat heat

Po183 problem now solved. Exactly what I said it was. The dealerships charged me $100 diagnostic, then backed that out of a $243 bill to change out the fuel temp sensor. Net was $143.
However, a little 2 pin plug was left dangling near the port. And my drivers seat heater went off-scale high. Tried to pull a plug and got the airbag one angry at me. Another $100 reset. Changed this to general topic thread. "Holy Smokes..."

ampsfse2009

TDI
2001 vw jetta tdi
VW Derf said:
Below are the links to VAG-COM FAQs and references. If you are aware of others that should be here, let me know.

If you have some technical references or FAQ's for other OBD Scanners, let me know and I'll start a "sticky" for that as well.

Here is the current "list":
<ul type="square">
[*] VAG-COM FAQ
[*] Common Diagnostic Procedures
* Ross-Tech TDI section
* 1998-2003 VW MkIV Golf/Jetta/New Beetle Information Page
[*] TDI Timing Checker (not for PDs)
[*] "Aftermarket Radio Problem"
[*] "Butt Dyno" Instructions
[/list]
where can i find the measuring and block code numbers? please help! thanks. 2001 vw tdi.

Warthog

Veteran Member
TDI
see Bio
Cost justification

adocars said:
Po183 problem now solved. Exactly what I said it was. The dealerships charged me $100 diagnostic, then backed that out of a $243 bill to change out the fuel temp sensor. Net was $143.
However, a little 2 pin plug was left dangling near the port. And my drivers seat heater went off-scale high. Tried to pull a plug and got the airbag one angry at me. Another $100 reset. Changed this to general topic thread. "Holy Smokes..."
Which is why we buy the VAGCOM and learn to dink around with our own vehicles. It only takes a couple of dealer-workshop (?) errors to easily equal the cost of your own tools. They are notorious for this sort of thing.

jjcsnlynn

Veteran Member
TDI
02 & 03 Jetta TDI,99 Beetle TDI, 04 Chevy Duramax 2500HD 4x4
There is plenty of boost information, it is called MAP (manifold absolute pressure) and measured in millibars.
You are used to seeing boost in psi, probably. You can find conversion data online. Remember to subtract atmospheric pressure.

If you print out the label files with a text reader, such as notepad, you can read through the groups and find what you need. It is best to log RPM, specified MAP and actual MAP, and N75 duty cycle.
I just bought the VAGCOM cable to try to fix my wifes 1.8T. I'm trying to find a list of groups. Can someone tell me how to do the statement above?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Hook up the VCDS to the car. Turn on the key.
choose Select, Engine, Measuring blocks, look in the upper left corner of the screen for the file named xxxx.lbl.

Double click on that file and it opens up with NOTEPAD. Then you can print it or note the path, and do whatever you wish with it.

Chappy99

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI MK IV (Manual)
I know it's been a while since anyone's posted in this tread but just wanted to let anyone in the West Central Illinois area know that I've got a VAG-Com. I have no clue as to how to use it, still learning that part but I've got one if anyone in the area needs to use it...and knows how.

ronaldleemhuis

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I too am playing around with my new scanner and the VCDS Release 10.6 software. Yesterday I hooked it up to read and log the temperatures before and after the DPF along with the elapsed time in seconds from a cold start. I then plotted a graph of the temperatures before and after the DPF vs. elapsed time in seconds. This was for a suburban drive of about 1000 seconds and 5 miles.

I am not sure what to make of this, but it appears that on average the temperatures after the DPF are greater than before, and that the peak output temperature for this short jaunt were about 300 deg C.

This record is in a spreadsheet, and I'd like to include the graph in this post but can't figure out how to make the picture show up on the post. Well... you can use your imagination for now.

I was trying to see what kind of temperatures were being attained in short trips around town. It appears that the average inlet temperature was about 225 degrees even in this short trip.

Sevenjays

TDI
2004 Jetta
One thing I haven't figure out from Ross-Techs sight or threads here on the forum is if the VCDS system can be used on other manufactures. I own a 1999
Chevy Suburban with a diesel in it (so it sort of applies, right?). Will it work on that? I currently own Auterra software and have a OBD II cable that connects to my laptop. It doesn't do much of anything for either vehicle. I would like to buy one thing, not a special system for the TDI and another for the 'Burb.

Can VCDS do both?

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
One thing I haven't figure out from Ross-Techs sight or threads here on the forum is if the VCDS system can be used on other manufactures.
Depends. If other cars use the same protocol of OBDII that VW and Audi use, then yes, you can pull generic OBD II data with VCDS:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/obd-2.html

Generic OBD-II functionality is "Supported" only on VW, Audi, Seat, and Skoda cars. It will likely work on many other brands of cars. We'd be happy to receive feedback as to what other brands and models of cars it does and does not work on, however, we do not feel obligated to make it work on other manufacturer's cars.
I have personally done this on Honda, Volvo, Subaru, BMW and an older Jeep Cherokee.