Buyback/Replacement redux thread - high mpg replacements?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip>
It seems A LOT of TDI owners are not going back to the TDI. Why is this?
I've read there has been almost no drop in fuel mileage, and no drop in hp or torque.
<snip>
There are many people involved in Dieselgate (I think 480,000 just in the U.S.), and there are people in different circumstances and with different motivations from thee and me.
For myself, I'm in my '70s, have owned a dozen and a half vehicles, and our Passat is the first diesel. It's been a good car, no question, but diesel savings has become a far more dubious proposition with the higher cost of ULSD fuel, and the repair costs of certain components and systems in these common-rail cars can be hair-raising. By the time we turn this car in, we'll have around 80K miles on it, and VW is going to pay us just a few thousand less than we paid for the car in 2013. To me, that means it gets turned in, and given what's available out there, we'll be going to a gas car. Will we take an mpg hit? Sure, that's the breaks, but we'll do fine.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I take the DSG is step 2 in the 'update' path?
I want an SEL. I find using Google Maps on my cell phone a pain in the butt. Much rather have it on a big screen. Seat presets, and the 18" wheels are other likes. I really don't care about the sunroof, but whatever.
I tried to get the sales guy to consider the fact that the car is now 4 MODEL YEARS OLD. No budging.

Yes, the 2015 is a 2 step process. I think the first is software and the second stage is the hardware. I'm not sure when it starts, but I assume it'll be sometime this year.

The thing is that dealers know there are people out there willing to pay for a 2015 TDI. These 2015's on the lot are 'new' cars, so they are trying to sell them as that, since they know they may get lucky. If they drop the price a few thousand, then they know they'll get snatched up, so seeing as they been sitting for 2+ years already, they don't mind letting them sit a little longer till that 1 person comes to pay full price for the car.

I'm not a fan of the sunroof either. It's just something that can leak. We had the sunroof leak on our 2010 Jetta TDI when it had less than 10k miles. They resealed it the sunroof and replaced the headliner for free since it was under warranty. It was stained in a few areas and the dealer since they didn't want us to take a chance with mold growing. After that we never had issues with it. I'll still never use mine, just like we didn't in the Jetta.

Even getting used car salesman to drop price can be hard, unless they have the price really high. I only had 3 silver ones in the state. Drove up to Jacksonville and the salesman didn't like my offer, so told me nicely he wasn't dealing with me. I called him back 2 days later and he said it sold. It didn't because it was on Autotrader for another week till it sold.

The other in Miami was $18.5k certified. I would have bought this one, but I didn't like the color of the interior. I ended up driving down to Miami and it was $16,898 (right under $17k if I'm wrong). It needed an alignment, but I could not argue with them because I had to have it. Either I was going to take it as is, or I wouldn't get the color car that I wanted. Also, the other SEL's in the state were much more expensive for the same, or more amount of miles on the car. I figured for the price I paid I can get an alignment, do the DSG soon (had 34.5k miles), and still be content after paying them since the other SEL's in the state were in the 20's.

If you like a car, I would probably jump on it pretty fast. It's really hard to find a car with all the options you want after one you liked sells. People want these cars, so you really can't wait around on them hoping they'll go cheaper, especially the SEL's. I wouldn't recommend paying full price for a 'new' one, unless if you can afford it and don't mind, then go ahead, otherwise, $21k for a certified Passat TDI SEL with 20k miles isn't a bad deal.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
I want an SEL. I find using Google Maps on my cell phone a pain in the butt. Much rather have it on a big screen. Seat presets, and the 18" wheels are other likes. I really don't care about the sunroof, but whatever.
I tried to get the sales guy to consider the fact that the car is now 4 MODEL YEARS OLD. No budging.
Buy a 2016+ TSI
Use android auto for your navi. Add 18" wheels, if the model doesn't come with them.

You can find a 2017, ~10k miles, for ~$15k (and that's in SoCal)

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 2-door 6MT (BB - 4/18)
There are many people involved in Dieselgate (I think 480,000 just in the U.S.), and there are people in different circumstances and with different motivations from thee and me.
To me, that means it gets turned in, and given what's available out there, we'll be going to a gas car. Will we take an mpg hit? Sure, that's the breaks, but we'll do fine.
You don’t need to take an mpg hit. I’m like you, in my 70s (my driving needs for this car has changed) and seriously considering a plug-in hybrid. In particular, the Kia Niro plug-in hybrid, to replace my ‘13 Golf TDI. If you prefer a sedan, then take a look at the Kia Optima plug-in hybrid. The advantage of a plug-in for me is that in my typical daily drive it’ll be on pure electric for over 80% of the time, but still have a gas engine for longer trips. The mileage for these cars is better than the diesel.

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You don’t need to take an mpg hit. I’m like you, in my 70s (my driving needs for this car has changed) and seriously considering a plug-in hybrid. In particular, the Kia Niro plug-in hybrid, to replace my ‘13 Golf TDI. If you prefer a sedan, then take a look at the Kia Optima plug-in hybrid. The advantage of a plug-in for me is that in my typical daily drive it’ll be on pure electric for over 80% of the time, but still have a gas engine for longer trips. The mileage for these cars is better than the diesel.
Now that we've moved into a condo building with an underground garage, plug-ins are a no-go, at least without paying for a charger installation and having cable run, the cost of which would likely wipe out any fuel savings that might accrue. And if we were going to pay for a charger installation, we'd probably be looking at a Tesla. A likely candidate (when it appears this Spring) is the Honda Accord non plug-in hybrid. Should see 40 (although several reviewers have said no way it'll do the 47 Honda claims), just a little less than we have averaged over 68K miles with our Passat.

Last edited:

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
Now that we've moved into a condo building with an underground garage, plug-ins are a no-go, at least without paying for a charger installation and having cable run, the cost of which would likely wipe out any fuel savings that might accrue. And if we were going to pay for a charger installation, we'd probably be looking at a Tesla. A likely candidate (when it appears this Spring) is the Honda Accord non plug-in hybrid. Should see 40 (although several reviewers have said no way it'll do the 47 Honda claims), just a little less than we have averaged over 68K miles with our Passat.
Good heads-up about the new 2018 Accord Hybrid! Based on reviewers, and winning ‘18 car of the year by multiple car organizations, this car now on my short list. The performance / efficiency and interior design are excellent; the only negative to me is that it’s a sedan.

Last edited:

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey everyone.
So far all I have found are:
Accord hybrid
Camry hybrid
Fusion hybrid
CX-5 diesel (if it ever shows up)
Looks like I’ll have to ditch the manual transmission finally. I don’t feel like searching the country for a 2015 manual Passat TDI. I’m also looking to keep costs down in the pricing area.
Open to your suggestions.
You don’t have to ditch the manual transmission if you don’t want to. The 2018 Accord hybrid can be had with manual at all trim levels. Watch the video below:
https://youtu.be/IxyWhKFGZz4

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
i thought i'd never say it, but props to honda keeping the MT, even though its on the option sheet, are they going to be as rare as a '15 TDI SEL with 6spd?

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
As the Original Poster of this thread I am posting this post in both of my threads about "what car are you looking at" since I have finally decided and made my purchase earlier this week...

I purchased a 2018 White Honda Accord Sport 2.0T with a manual transmission. The car is rated at 22 city / 32 highway but I see some people get in the mid/upper 30s with a good amount of highway driving which is my target. I'll miss my 13-14 years of diesel driving and high miles per gallon but it's time to move on.

The MSRP with destination charge is $31,200. I was able to pay $31,000 out the door with tax, title, license, and dealer add-ons. After my buyback from VW I'll be paying 18-19k out of pocket for what has won a ton of "car of the year" or similar awards. I'm very happy with my purchase and deal I was able to make.

TwosDay

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9 PD 5-Speed with the van Gogh fix, 2012 PassIt 6-Speed PLATNUM Grey (scheduled for buyback), 2013 JSW 6-Speed Platnum Grey, 2018 Chevy Equanox TD to replace '12 PassIt!
2012 Passat replaced by Chevy Equinox TD

]

I have purchased a Chevy Equinox TD to replace my 2012 Passat TDI 6-speed manual.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Keep reporting the MPG of the Chevy. I can't stand the styling of anything with bow tie but its great knowing they have a diesel option. Maybe some day they will offer on in the Atlas.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
You don’t have to ditch the manual transmission if you don’t want to. The 2018 Accord hybrid can be had with manual at all trim levels. Watch the video below:
https://youtu.be/IxyWhKFGZz4
There is no manual with the hybrid. It is not even possible to do such a thing with how that powertrain works.

You can get a NON-HYBRID with a manual transmission. The one in the video was the NON-HYBRID 2.0 Turbo.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As with most manufacturers, Honda wants you to buy a CUV instead, and has an ample choice of them ...
They have an ample choice of them because that is what so many people are buying. Just driving around our midwestern city, I can see how many of the vehicles being driven (or parked) are pickups, SUVs, and vans. Our two cars (the Passat sedan and our SAAB wagon) are fading fast.
Choice in the marketplace of "drivers' cars" is becoming more and more limited, and a lot of those are too pricey for us.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
As with most manufacturers, Honda wants you to buy a CUV instead, and has an ample choice of them ...
Yes, wagons are becoming an 'extinct species' in North America unfortunately. In the future one might have to import one from Europe (a diesel mid-size wagon for example).

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
My new car is my old car

Changed from buyback to fix. It took two weeks from changing the selection, to having it all done.

For some reason, the old wagon (2012 w/ DSG) feels like a new car. I made sure to step on it right after the fix: it's as spunky and torquey as before. Today we drove it in the snow: no problems either. Having the new warranty feels pretty good as well.

Electric cars don't seem to be quite there yet, non-VWs just weren't up to par, and the 2015 TDI wagon either forced you to get the sunroof, or be underoptioned. Plus, the pricing is just ridiculous. Closest to being a viable option was the new Alltrack, but I think winter tires are more important than 4-wheel drive, plus I really like the mileage and having to refuel only once a week. Another big plus: no car payments.

I'm really happy with the new old car. Getting this car turned out to be a really good decision, thanks to VWs emissions shenanigans.

Last edited:

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
There is no manual with the hybrid. It is not even possible to do such a thing with how that powertrain works.
You can get a NON-HYBRID with a manual transmission. The one in the video was the NON-HYBRID 2.0 Turbo.
Ooops, I stand corrected!

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
With the uncertainty of my TDI (which I just got emission mod done, waiting for check)... I bought a used 2015 Nissan Leaf. It is VERY high mileage. I have driven it everyday for almost 5 months and have NEVER filled it up at the fuel station... :)

With that said my electric bill has bumped up slightly.

Since I had the MOD that was my decision to keep my TDI.

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
I’m seriously considering waiting for the 2018-19 Honda CR-V Hybrid 2.0 Liter that was released in Japan and China late last year. The engine / trans appear to be taken from the new Accord Hybrid (not sure if this is what we get in the US); hope not the 1.5 Liter engine.

https://youtu.be/6_fuyYMFtcw

pfennig

TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI w/ Sunroof
I completed my buyback almost a month ago now, so likely won't be frequenting this forum much in the future. But who knows, I'm a little OC.

I replaced my 2014 JSW with a 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, GT trim, because:
- Very easy to do 90% of my driving within the 22mile all-electric range
- Very easy to drive as a pure EV. It is an EV. Kia Niro likes to turn on the engine.
- AWD and small but usable towing capacity
- Nice systems -- android auto, cross traffic warning, adaptive cruise, 360 cameras, etc
- Waaaay cheaper than other plugin wagons/CUVs (Niro + euro luxury models only!?!?)
- Dealer gave me a great deal on the GT trim with the bells & whistles
- No transmission!
- Proven track record in Europe and elsewhere.

We picked it up with 12 miles on the odometer and a full tank of gas. Done about 600 miles so far, still have half a tank of gas. It's set to charge at 220v after midnight.

Cons:
- After we get the rebate, still a few thousand more than my JSW trade in, boo hoo.
- Definitely taller and more CUV-like than the JSW. Handling not as "tight", hood looks huge after the JSW.
- It randomly beeps sometimes. This is a known 'thing'. I pretend it's an intentional driver awareness aide :rolleyes:

So no manual transmission, but it's a (lifted) wagon and comes in brown (well, "ruby black pearl", but it's brown in the right lights). Next year's model will have a few pct more battery range and a stronger petrol engine, but it's not here yet and I've got no regrets.

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
The Kia Niro plug-in hybrid (new this year) is also in the running for me. It has a 26 mile EV range that suits my daily retirement routine; probably covers 80% of my city driving. I’ve a garage and charging is no problem, it’s easier to just not worry about frequent charging. I’ve another car assigned to longer distance travel.

Last edited:

JoshMcMadMac

TDI
NMS Passat SE
I completed my buyback almost a month ago now, so likely won't be frequenting this forum much in the future. But who knows, I'm a little OC.

I replaced my 2014 JSW with a 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, GT trim, because:
- Very easy to do 90% of my driving within the 22mile all-electric range
- Very easy to drive as a pure EV. It is an EV. Kia Niro likes to turn on the engine.
- AWD and small but usable towing capacity
- Nice systems -- android auto, cross traffic warning, adaptive cruise, 360 cameras, etc
- Waaaay cheaper than other plugin wagons/CUVs (Niro + euro luxury models only!?!?)
- Dealer gave me a great deal on the GT trim with the bells & whistles
- No transmission!
- Proven track record in Europe and elsewhere.

We picked it up with 12 miles on the odometer and a full tank of gas. Done about 600 miles so far, still have half a tank of gas. It's set to charge at 220v after midnight.

Cons:
- After we get the rebate, still a few thousand more than my JSW trade in, boo hoo.
- Definitely taller and more CUV-like than the JSW. Handling not as "tight", hood looks huge after the JSW.
- It randomly beeps sometimes. This is a known 'thing'. I pretend it's an intentional driver awareness aide :rolleyes:

So no manual transmission, but it's a (lifted) wagon and comes in brown (well, "ruby black pearl", but it's brown in the right lights). Next year's model will have a few pct more battery range and a stronger petrol engine, but it's not here yet and I've got no regrets.
Are you willing to share what you managed to get the GT for?
Keep in mind the $7500 is a credit, not a rebate. So, you have to "owe" at least $7500 at the end of the year to see that money.

pfennig

TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI w/ Sunroof
It's friday and i'm lazy. And/or had a mai tai. So I'm not digging the actual sales slip out... but it was approximately $40500 total. I.e. including taxes fees, delivery, everything.

The tax credit also won't be 7500, the battery isn't that big. I think it'll be around $5600.

So *approximately* I'm looking at $35k for the Outlander. And VW paid me $30.5k for the JSW (which I didn't pay that much for originally). I'm making out like a bandit.... as well I should be given that VW cheated.

It's a shame really, we liked the JSW, no complaints other than that they cheated. Being green was part of why we bought. But I'm not religious about diesel, and I _really_ like our new car/cuv/suv. I'm sure the mitsubishi isnt for everyone, but right now it's the only thing like it less than $70k (some Volvo, which I'm sure is really nice but !@$!@!@%!@ $70k!!!!)

Last edited:

Jaestar3000

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagon
I replaced my 2014 JSW with a 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, GT trim, because: ....
Our last JSW got buybacked 3 weeks ago and we just took delivery of a loaded AWD diesel Equinox tonight. With the VW money it was like affording a used car with a new warranty (wife tends to keep a car + 5 years).
I had my Jetta buybacked in 2016 and bought a Volt so I was encouraging her to get an Outlander, she drives about 40 miles a day so she'd be dipping into the gas every day but that'd still be something like 60 mpg. However, she didn't have a good first impression of it and hates plugging in the charger (drove my Volt since her car got sold). She wanted the CX-5 too but bit the bullet and drove the Equinox and found that they cloned a lot of stuff from the JSW and felt at home. I also wanted her to just get a 2015 GSW TDI which would have cost us $0 as a stopgap until better EV / PHEVs come along, but she sat in one and was just really turned off. Hybrid SUVs were out of the question, wrong economy for her, bad hwy, good city MPG.
She told me about her decision which was revealing and maybe helpful for others:
If VW had a Tiguan hybrid in the US like they're sending to China it would have been a done deal. Ultimately she said she was frustrated with US automakers for not making a sporty (with a manual) wagon or small SUV with long range that she doesn't have to take to the gas station all the time. The Equinox was the closest we could get at this time. So the timing is good for the last diesel we'll have, in 5 years there should be plenty of plugin options. But man do I hate still having to burn fuel from the ground and not getting to take advantage of the tax credit before it runs out.