[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
any deals on oil lately? Seems like it's been awhile since a mail-in was out

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
any deals on oil lately? Seems like it's been a while since a mail-in was out
The Mobil Delvac and TDT rebate ended on Dec 31st. But there will probably be a new one soon.

selbmn

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen Manual
Hey Gang

Pretty new to the VW and TDI life. 2013 Sportwagen with the 6spd manual and about 75,000 miles.

Recent problem with clutch...downshifting from 6th to 5th, pushed the clutch pedal down, was hard to shift gears, pedal didn't come back up. Was able to pop it back up with my toe and get it home after some moaning and grinding. Getting it towed into the dealer this evening to try to figure out what's going on.

Any thoughts/suggestions on a favorite shop? I'm hoping that, being as it seems like some sort of catastrophic failure and not just normal wear (no signs of slipping or anything before this happened) maybe they'll feel nice and cover at least part of it under the CPO warranty, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks!

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Hey Gang

Pretty new to the VW and TDI life. 2013 Sportwagen with the 6spd manual and about 75,000 miles.

Recent problem with clutch...downshifting from 6th to 5th, pushed the clutch pedal down, was hard to shift gears, pedal didn't come back up. Was able to pop it back up with my toe and get it home after some moaning and grinding. Getting it towed into the dealer this evening to try to figure out what's going on.

Any thoughts/suggestions on a favorite shop? I'm hoping that, being as it seems like some sort of catastrophic failure and not just normal wear (no signs of slipping or anything before this happened) maybe they'll feel nice and cover at least part of it under the CPO warranty, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks!
If it has the CPO warranty it absolutely should be covered. The extended emissions warranty doesn't cover the transmission / clutch though.

selbmn

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen Manual
If it has the CPO warranty it absolutely should be covered. The extended emissions warranty doesn't cover the transmission / clutch though.
I've only had the car for a few months and haven't even had it in for it's first oil change yet. It did come with the 2yr unlimited mile CPO as well as the extended emissions... I'm hoping you're right!!

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Hi fellow Minnesotan's,
I hope your all enjoying this snow or are on vacation right now lol.
I am looking for a really cheap tdi for a friend of mine. he's looking for a summer car that will get good millage, but he doesn't wanna spend a lot of money. and he'd like to try the tdi diesel game! condition doesn't seem to be real important as he's looking for cheap and neither are miles. It cannot need heavy engine work, but light problems would be ok. thinking 98-03, so any alh would be cool. but let me know if you have anything you'd like to sell.
Thanks,
GlowBugTDI

Last edited:

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Not much out there in the Upper Midwest, but this one down by Dubuque seems to have been well cared for.

https://dubuque.craigslist.org/cto/d/zwingle-2002-volkswagen-jetta-tdi/7043206888.html
Thank's! ya, your right there's only one alh on cl right now under Minnesota. My buddy isn't in any rush, so were going to keep an eye on cl. but he's hoping to find one for about a grand or less. Thus the not really caring about condition or miles. I told him i'd post something here to see if anything comes up.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Thank's! ya, your right there's only one alh on cl right now under Minnesota. My buddy isn't in any rush, so were going to keep an eye on cl. but he's hoping to find one for about a grand or less. Thus the not really caring about condition or miles. I told him i'd post something here to see if anything comes up.
Any TDI under $1000 is going to need at least $2000 more to make it reasonably reliable.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
ya, i can see that, ive had to put 2500-3000 into mine over the last few years. mainly cause i sent it in for a few things due to not having the time to do it myself. Most for under a grand have at least 4-5 problems usually rusty MN brake and drive components stuff, but he was just looking to see whats out there. doesn't need to be anywhere near mint, he's just looking for a cheap toy he can drive around the field's and up/down the roads. He's 16 so he doesn't mind doing some work, and isn't gonna be driving far (at least to the extent of my knowledge). I know it may never happen, but i figure if we look long enough something will come up, and i told him i'd throw something on here just in case anyone has one they don't use often/anymore . it'll be harder now tho, because tdi prices have gone up in the last year.

Last edited:

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Hi fellow Minnesotan's,
I hope your all enjoying this snow or are on vacation right now lol.
I am looking for a really cheap tdi for a friend of mine. he's looking for a summer car that will get good millage, but he doesn't wanna spend a lot of money. and he'd like to try the tdi diesel game! condition doesn't seem to be real important as he's looking for cheap and neither are miles. It cannot need heavy engine work, but light problems would be ok. thinking 98-03, so any alh would be cool. but let me know if you have anything you'd like to sell.
Thanks,
GlowBugTDI
I am selling my 2003 Jetta Wagon just after timing belt refresh. This car is an auto bone stock with 200,000 miles on it. The auto has the torque convertor fail to lock up error but it works ok. That is why in the classified I am offering as part of a 5 speed swap

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
why, getting a CR car?
Nick thinks the 5 speed swap into the 2003 is not worth the money. So when I will either sell the 5 speed swap parts alone and drive the 2003 until it dies or sell it now and maybe buy a GM Spark

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Nick thinks the 5 speed swap into the 2003 is not worth the money. So when I will either sell the 5 speed swap parts alone and drive the 2003 until it dies or sell it now and maybe buy a GM Spark
well, they have been 500 dollar cars for 5-10 years now
I'm probably into mine... a lot of thousands if you count time

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
sorry to hear that. well you could run er into the ground! unless it makes more sense to sell it. unfortunately cars aren't really an investment. they only go down in value until they hit $500 range...:(

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
if i was looking for a fun project to do it would be kinda neat to try tho!

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The 5 speed with WaveTrac LSD is a riot to drive. No more one wheel drive both wheels drive. A member in Ohio who then went to work for a auto company and then I think he wrecked his car, put it in for me and did the welding of the parts that usually come apart. When Nick drove my car he thought I had a different tune as there is no wheel slippage.

captaintofuburger

TDI
03 Golf TDI | 2014 JSW
What shop doesn't ****ing suck for working on a TDI? Mine's been dead in my driveway for way too long. I just don't have space or time to **** with this thing anymore. I have a single car garage that's taken up by my mk3 trailer park queen.

Last shop I went to, due for a timing belt, brakes were ready as well, and I had enough suspension parts worn down I had them chuck on an ECS coil over kit. I mean, 240k on what I'm assuming was from the line suspension isn't bad. I bought the car at... 195k? Had also told them for the 4th time in, turbo still ****ed up. WOT or under load I go into limp mode. Again, I tell them, I'm pretty ****ing sure the actuator is rotted out. And they are just baffled by this idea.

Get my car back *fixed*, turbo issue all fixed "again". Had to replace my lower intercooler pipe iirc. But to be fair... I may have busted that... I was snow plowing one day and bashed a big chunk of ice real good. It did make it better, but never "fixed". More or less like it was the first 2 times around.

Then I find a ****ing yard MAF on it... and after them having the ****ing thing for like 5 god damn months, I'm missing shifts like an ******* all the time. I take the benefit of the doubt, I mean... I have only driven manual for... 17 years? But I guess it's been 5 months, maybe I do keep missing.... 1st... No. 3rd starts becoming real hard to get into, then 5th ****s off and dies. I'm sure the linkage is just hosed, they shouldn't have even been in that area to start. But the fast onset of the problems, as it had been flawless previously, I'm sure they just ****ed something up.

****ing rant. /rant. I don't have time to work on this. Who can I take it to that won't dick around?

Southern MN here.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't have time to work on this. Who can I take it to that won't dick around?

Southern MN here.
Who have you had working on it?

And how far are you willing to travel?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
if you'll drive to Milaca, MN nick is real good. At precision imports. does a good job and it's cheaper then city rates. unfortunately I don't know anyone down in the city's area...

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
There's another Nick on the north end of the cities that works on TDIs?
oop's i meant to write that there's you (in cambridge) and the other guys name is Tony in Milaca. Apparently I shouldn't post on here right after an algebra test... can't get my thought's together lol

BTW. sorry I never back to you on having those injectors rebuilt. They've been doing good, so i just keep putting it off....

Last edited: