2.0 Gen 1 post fix impressions, issues, etc.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Read the settlement. The states are specifically prohibited from making the modification a requirement for registration. The only people saying otherwise have been basing it on FUD.

the_janitor

TDI
2011 Golf Highline DSG
Houston!! We have a problem. Check engine light came on yesterday while driving home. Dropped it off at Volkswagen this morning. My service advisor just called and said that the DPF, EGR Filter, and the NoX Cat will need to be replaced again under warranty :mad: Keep in mind that EGR Filter and NoX Cat was replaced under the Emissions Recall back in August 2017! NOT GOOD! It didn't even make it a year.
I'm pretty ****ing pissed! Not only will it take up to 10 day's to get the parts from Germany it's going to be a 2 day job.
This is ****ing ridiculous!!!
Summary of my Journey with my 2010 Jetta TDI
DPF replaced at 81,881 ( Warranty )
Injector Plates, Covers, and Seals replaced at 100,185 ( Warranty )
Exhaust Flap replaced, DPF, EGR Filter replaced at 119,994 ( Warranty )
Emissions Modification Software update NoX, EGR Filter, Exhaust Flap, and Rear 02 Sensor replaced at 131, 330 ( Warranty )
At this point I'm just dumbfounded! The Jetta now has 146,000 miles and although it does have an extended warranty it looks as if I will be looking for a new replacement. It will be sad to see it go, but I just can't continue down this path. I hope I'm not giving everyone a sour taste in their mouth but just wanted to give my feedback on the Emissions modification and my current experience.
Didn't know these post emissions fix warranty parts are being shipped from Germany. Took my car in last Wednesday (4 business days ago including today) and was told I'll be getting the DPF replaced. Still haven't heard back from the dealer. Anyone else have to wait more than a week for your parts to arrive?

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I feel like it is doing a more short Re-Gens... I have digital OBDII monitor and see EGT's, water temp, boost, .... It is definitely doing more Re-gens, but it seems for shorter period.

Before it would Re-gen once every tank (about 600-650 miles) and take significant time, say 10 minutes more before Re-gen finished. Now I see EGT spike and then go down in a few minutes. It repeats even in the same day or next day.

jmat

TDI
2012 TDI Premium
The fix screwed my Jetta Up.

Pre 45 MPG avg.
Post 36 MPG avg.

Plus , all kinds of CEL codes.

texsize

TDI
2013 jetta DSG.
That’s a big difference. I haven’t checked the MPG with the changed ECU but for drive ability I noticed it tended to surge more often. Probably due to more regenerations.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
I had the fix done in September. A few days after the fix I got a CEL and they had to replace a clogged heatercore. It cost me $1100. VW would not pay for it. Last week I got another CEL and it was the heatercore again. This time VW paid for it. I'm wondering if this will become a recurring issue. I'm getting 2-3 mpg less per gallon than before the fix. No other noticeable differences except more frequent regens.

herbz

TDI
2011 Jetta Highline TDI
Had ours done a week ago.

No noticeable difference in performance other than it seems to hold 1st gear a little longer when taking off from a stop.

Filled it up right after and so far I've got the same number of miles on the tank at the same level as before the fix.

cinbearcat

TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen
I sold back a 2010 JSW TDI 6 speed manual back to VW (~190K Mile) and bought another one from a dealer with 80K miles. My "new" one has the emissions mod. The cars are identical (with exception of no sunroof on the new one). My old 2010 averaged 41 mpg. My new one is averaging 36.4 mpg. Driving conditions are the same mix of highway and city. The new mpg seems a little low to me. I was expecting about 3 mpg less based on research that I did. What are others experiencing? (I calculate my mpg manually at each fill up)

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Cars are mass manufactured but they vary. Alignment, tire inflation, tire model, engine break in, minor engine problems, missing under car aero can all make a difference. So you might want to check the basics as well.

cinbearcat

TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen
Individual vehicles can differ. I actually swapped the wheels and tires from my previous JSW.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Realized I should have put this here instead of in a new thread.

I have 161,000 miles and had the fix ~8000 miles ago, I got a check engine light and a P2002 code and the dealer says I have a clogged DPF. It's covered under warranty! But I think it's interesting and wanted to share with all of you.

The service writer indicated he typically sees this on the TDI cars between 150K and 200K miles. Glad I got the fix and the warranty before this happened! I changed to a mostly shorter commute the last couple of years and suspect that may have contributed.

I didn't run a scan of my own yet, but I did one at Mile:122,947 and I had Oil Ash Volume: 120 ml. So I suspect I'm around 160 ml, maybe a bit more, considering my shorter commutes this last couple of years.

One more note, the check engine light went off just before I went to the dealer. The code was stored, so the dealer still had the information and I could see it on my P3Cars gauge. I cleared the fault twice in the past, because I was away on vacation and hated looking at the check engine light. When it came on again at home, I scheduled the appointment at the dealer. Then, on Sunday before my appointment on Monday, the light went off on it's own.

vfrn1

TDI
2010 Jetta
I took my 2010 manual in for the repair around 72,000 miles. Around town I've noticed a little loss in power but didn't think much about it. I've only had two fills since the fix (both city driving) and I have lost between 6-8 mpg.

What's more concerning is the performance. I'm in the middle of a trip from Phoenix to Flagstaff (1500ft to 7000ft). On the drive up while going up the mountain passes I had the car floored and unable to maintain my speed if the RPMs dropped below ~2000. Before the "fix", the mountains didn't affect the car at all. I felt like I was driving an under powered gas engine not a turbo charged DIESEL!

I can't comment on the MPG from this trip yet but I plan to call the dealer and see how the "you broke my car" conversation goes when I get home. Based upon all that I had read on here and the VW brochures before deciding to get the fix, I expected to only loose a couple MPG and hardly notice a change in performance. It seems like I'm one of the unlucky ones.

Has anyone had a similar experience and has the dealer been able to "fix" anything?

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
I had my 2011 jetta with nav. sunroof, kessy.. blah blah 60,000 miles fixed about 6 months ago..no noticeable loss of power.. actually seems a little better...(really has GREAT pick-up/torque).but I believe I did lose 3-4 mpg's.. regen. does NOT seem more frequent..still love my car.. (compared to the other 2 I own.. fixed 2015 and 2013, wife's and daughters) they seem to do alot more regens than mine..but mpg's seem still great...more on the 2015 though...am curious about people with more problems after fix though and any resolves from dealer...my 11 is a salvage title...knowing i will NEVER recover when or if I sell it.. just love it.. BUT I put in a complete 2015 jetta gli interior..power heated seats seats, the seats are the ones with the red trim and faux carbon fiber trim..wonderful.. and really snug your body..and the flat bottom st. wheel with the red trim also..just great! ONLY thing I wish I had is the mfd (information display) that are in the newer ones..I like that! If all goes well during the emissions warranty when it ends...Tune here I come!!.. also have a 2001 jetta with a RC2 tune..boy! That rocks!!

Last edited:

foggedz

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Im am planning to get my car fixed in mid Aug. I happen to have a spare ECU for the car. Has anyone just swapped in a un fixed tuned ECU and brought the car back to its "pre fix" performace/economy?

Would the dealer be able to tell if this was done down the line, if I just put the fixed ECU back in the car if for any reason it had to go to the dealer?

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
I drive Uber and Lyft in my fixed Passat. So I'm cranking out a LOT of miles.

Since the fix I've noticed ZERO change in highway mileage, averaging in the upper 40's on long highway trips, mostly 46-49 mpg. (I Drive to Colorado 3-4 times a year to visit family) and have gotten 765-780 miles out of a tank.

In city mileage which I tend to do a lot with Uber/Lyft, I'm solidly in the mid to upper 30's. Most of the time averaging 37-39 in combined driving around the city with some stretches of highway.

Since I bought 3 of my 2015's new, but after the first phase fix from a VW dealer, I have nothing as far as a True "Before" baseline. But after the 2nd Phase, There was zero difference in mileage from before the 2nd phase was done.

I've got 68,000 miles on my Uber/Lyft Passat, so I feel like the engine is broken in, so I think this is the mileage I'm going to get from now on.

The Golf Wagon has 19k on it, so it's still seems tight, but the on board computer reads 46 most days on my wife's 30 mile highway commute to work. ( I know.. it's a bit higher than true mileage). The Beetle Convertible isn't driven enough to tell any difference, and with 3400 miles, the engine is still too new to give consistant mileage, as is the other Passat (5100 miles).

Overall, I'm not displeased with the car's after-fix performance or mileage. It seems to shift well, accelerate well, and doesn't have any real issues. The DEF usage seems a bit higher, with the car barely making the 10k oil change interval before counting down to 4-500 miles left on DEF range.

Graham Line

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Golf TDI 6M
After several months (fix in April) and one 5000-mile road trip, the car ('12 Golf 2D, 6M) seems to have stabilized at slightly higher highway fuel economy (was mid-40s, now high 40s to 50) and worse city (was 35, now 32).

Fuel is general Chevron, with 4 oz of Power Service White every other fill, which generally happens at the 1/3 remaining mark. Car is a little more finicky to drive around town, and strong at 60-70 mph.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
What I am reading is the GEN 1 FIX IS A WINNER!!!

Why do I say this. Look at this thread.

1) MPG dropped a bit? No real rigorous numbers. I lost a few MPG, but I have no hard numbers. Power seems fine even great.

2) Shifts at higher RPM? I have DSG and have not noticed.

3) My observation, more short RE-GENS, which you would not notice unless you were monitoring EGTs (Re-Gen EGT ~ 1200F, normal cruise 500-800F). Before I got one 7-10 minute Re-gen every tank full-up, which for me was about 3.5 weeks or +600 miles. Now I see several short RE-GENS ever tank. They seem to last only one to three minutes. Do many short Re-Gens cook the Turbo? Time will tell. Again 4 year and 40K mile warranty is pretty good. At the end of warranty I will consider doing things with the Turbo and HPFP. (BTW I do a turbo cool down when I park, wait until EGT is below 400F. Also if a Re-Gen is in process while driving, I will drive until it ends if I can.)

Bottom line so far the FIX WORKS and COMPLAINTS are small. (If you disagree let us know.)

Last edited:

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^For me, the fix isn't a winner, but the cash and the extended warranty are big winners!!! I don't enjoy the extra regen activity. Even the shorter ones make the car run in a jerky uneven manner. I think it also cost me a dpf and some time without my car, but it was covered under the new warranty and it might have happened anyway.

And I never liked the long regens. It seemed it happened most often just as I was pulling into my neighborhood or into my driveway after a long commute home from work. Like you, I'd drive around to let it complete. Driving around for 10 or more minutes is the last thing I wanted to do after an hour commute to get home at night.

But I still love driving my car and the fix provided the extra money and the warranty. I'm good until 2021! That will be 11 years and more than 200K miles for me in the car. That will be a very good run for a car. After that I might do an experiment with the tune delete thing to rid myself of the regens, or I might skip the experiment and just get a new MK8 GTI.

Last edited:

AronS

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Sedan Premium 6 Speed Manual
I had my 2014 Jetta 6M fixed back in November. Other than a 1-2 MPG dip in fuel economy, performance differences have been minimal or not noticeable. The only issue I've had occurred at the beginning of the summer: a P0401 code (related to EGR, and a few others posted about similar issues), but, again, the repair was fortunately covered by the new warranty. I only hope that this is not a recurring issue from the fix as it would cost a fortune to do it after the warranty expires. Other than that, I've been very happy that I did the fix over the buyback.

It sounds like most performance related complaints on this thread are from those with DSGs?

Also, my low coolant indicator came on about halfway on my 2 hour drive home after picking my car up for the above-mentioned warranty repair from the nearest dealer. When I called the the dealer, they said it was common issue after the coolant system has been flushed. Is this true? I bought coolant and topped it off. No issues since.

Last edited:

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
In general, I am satisfied with the fix for my 2010 TDI. The long regen can be a bit annoying especially if I am about to park the car. This almost always forces me to hit the highway or find some free road and drive another 10-15 minutes.

rfortson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Surfwagen TDI
Just checking in to report on my wife's 2012 Jetta. She had the fix and we finally took a roadtrip to check it out. Checking numbers on fuel used vs miles driven, her mileage dropped about 9-10 mpg, from ~46mpg to ~37mpg. Overall, she's still happy and she likes having the extra warranty.

She also had an occasional diesel smell in the cabin during regen (that of course the dealer could never replicate/fix), but that seems to be gone since the fix. So all in all, the fix isn't terrible given all the perks, but the car isn't the miracle machine it seemed to be before.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I just got back from a trip up to door county. The mileage had some freeway, but plenty of rural and crowded up in Sister Bay type driving. I filled it before I left. I just filled and did a manual calculation. It says 45.18 mpg via pencil and paper. My car's computer says 46.7 It seems good by me. Car runs decently in my view. Lets just hope it stays that way. I had the second fix done a week back.

Last edited:

Galo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta 6mt, Malone Stage I, Goals
Bottom line so far the FIX WORKS and COMPLAINTS are small. (If you disagree let us know.)
I disagree.
Gen 1 fix SUCKS. Malone Stage 1 two weeks after the fix (aka neutering) and I am still mucho happy.
Owain and Mark Malone are my TDI Heroes

Last edited:

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
Extended warranty is paying off. I had the fix performed at about 150k miles (currently 174k miles). Took the car in last week to see about soot in my tailpipes.

Replaced under warranty:
DPF (had P2002 code and visable soot in tail pipes, no CEL though)
EGR Filter (P2004 code)
Intake Manifold: took off Jim's P2015 repair bracket before I took the car in to see about getting a new DPF. CEL tripped.

I had a loaner for 6 days (2018 Jetta Wolfsburg edition). Hewlett VW in Georgetown has always done phenomenal work and they didn't let me down. Car was diagnosed and declared covered under warranty within about 2 hours. Already ordered a Malone Stage 2 tune (emissions intact) and DSG tune to bring back some fuel economy and add some power. Hoping to keep this DPF from cracking like the last and smooth out some of the jerkiness when driving around town. I have a road trip to Fort Davis, TX this next weekend so I'll report back what about 430 miles of 70-80 mph driving nets me. Happy driving!

Last edited:

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^I also got a new DPF and a new manifold with the fix warranty!

VW earned a repeat customer from me! One of these days, I'll be buying a new VW GTI. That is after my warranty is done and my TDI finally gives up.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Extended warranty is paying off. I had the fix performed at about 150k miles (currently 174k miles). Took the car in last week to see about soot in my tailpipes.

Replaced under warranty:
DPF (had P2002 code and visable soot in tail pipes, no CEL though)
EGR Filter (P2004 code)
Intake Manifold: took off Jim's P2015 repair bracket before I took the car in to see about getting a new DPF. CEL tripped.

I had a loaner for 6 days (2018 Jetta Wolfsburg edition). Hewlett VW in Georgetown has always done phenomenal work and they didn't let me down. Car was diagnosed and declared covered under warranty within about 2 hours. Already ordered a Malone Stage 2 tune (emissions intact) and DSG tune to bring back some fuel economy and add some power. Hoping to keep this DPF from cracking like the last and smooth out some of the jerkiness when driving around town. I have a road trip to Fort Davis, TX this next weekend so I'll report back what about 430 miles of 70-80 mph driving nets me. Happy driving!
I too have always had good service from Hewlett. Sales, not so much. Glad to hear they did good for you, neighbor!

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
I too have always had good service from Hewlett. Sales, not so much. Glad to hear they did good for you, neighbor!
I purchased my car from Charles Maund on Burnet Rd back in 2010. Within the first couple of thousand miles of ownership it was in the shop twice for a check engine light. After the second time in and the CEL came back on I took it to Hewlett. Within the same day they let me know that all it needed was a new EGR valve. The factory one was faulty. No problems since then. From that day on they have been my dealership of choice for warranty work. Happy driving and see you on the roadways!

Mike777

TDI
2013 VW Golf TDI (6MT; 2-door; black)
Last night driving home the Engine MIL came on steady; 814 miles/24:42 hours since the emissions modification was completed.
Just checked the DTCs and the fault code is P2457, EGR Cooling System Performance.
Off to the st(d)ealership in a few minutes - being a Friday before the holiday I wonder what level of service I'll get now.....fun times ahead nonetheless.

I haven't run the numbers yet but ballparking it I think I'm averaging about 40.5 mpg since the mod, where before I was averaging 42.6 mpg. No complaints if it's going stay north, even slightly north of 40.0 mpg.

Last edited:

DHud13

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition 6MT
Post Fix Update #1

I had the Emissions Modification and Snow Flap Recall completed on April 3rd, 2018.
2010 TDI Cup 6MT with 142,250 miles.
She was already in regen mode when I picked her up from the dealer. First impression was that power was down, especially during regen. I drove around until the regen completed. I did not notice any increase in engine noise (as some people have noted), but I can tell that they changed the fuel mapping and turbo boost timing. Drives as smooth as always, but I do have to give it a little more RPM's to get the old power level (easy to do with the manual trans). I will probably get a Stage 1 tune once the extended warranty is up. VW money cleared the bank by Friday. I am still waiting on the Bosch payment. Unfortunately most of the money will be going to some needed repairs I had been holding off on (timing belt/water pump and AC compressor). I have only driven 250 miles since the repair, but I will update again once I have a few tanks under the belt.
It has been 5 months and 6,500 miles since the Emissions Modification.
Here are some observations and mileage/fuel log information.
My daily commute is an average of 40 miles each way, during rush hour, so mostly low average speed or bumper-to-bumper driving, very little highway speed driving. Computer typically says my average speed (from fill up to fill up) is 35 mph.
Before the fix (January 2018 to March) 3 fill ups, 1,611.60 miles, 42.147 gallons = 38.24 mpg
Note: I did not drive the car much in 2017, due to needing the timing belt service. I do have extensive records dating back to the day I bought the car, but the commute distance and driving conditions would differ.
After the fix (April to June) 4 fill ups, 2,101.60 miles, 57.805 gallons = 36.36 mpg
Observations after the fix: overall down on power, occasional acceleration hiccups, really down on power during regens, and would occasionally stall when starting from a stop (possibly/partly user error).
Based on my observations I decided to try a cetane booster. After some research I decided to try the Hot Shots DTE & EDT additives.
After the fix using DTE & EDT (June to August) 7 fill ups (1 tank with DTE & 6 tanks with EDT), 3,403 miles, 100.472 gallons = 33.87 mpg
Note: Before fix and After fix, without additives, are months that I typically do not use the AC at all. I am a windows down/sunroof open type person. Being in Phoenix, I can see a significant change in mpg just based on the average outside temperature, then add in the use of the AC compressor, and summer mpg's go WAY down. I take the 34 mpg number with a BIG grain of salt until the outside temps drop down to normal.
Using the additives did help with the "After the fix" issues I was having. Got some of the power back, runs much smoother, and regens are less noticeable and less of a burden on the engine.
I will update again after what we like to consider as the somewhat chilly season here.