2006 New Beetle Headlights Out

DieselDriver2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle GLS 5spd
Okay, I haven't logged onto this site for almost a year, and it WAS a good thing. But, now I'm back because I have an issue with the headlight. I'm not sure what happened but both my headlights do not work all of a sudden, and I checked the fuses and they seem to be good. Could it be that the relay had gone bad? Does anyone know what the # is for the low beam relay underneath the dash?

Here's what I think it happened: a while back, to disable the DRL (relay 176?), I had removed the relay for several months and then decided to put it back. After that, the DRL would only shut off when the key is removed from the ignition or turned towards the driver all the way. Prior to this, I was able to shut off the DRL by applying the emergency brake.

Any expedient help would be greatly appreciated.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
Well the first thing I'd try is taking that relay back out... I used to mod that relay with electrical tape over the magnetic connector inside in, so the Brake warming lamp still worked (req. for inspection I believe) but the DRLs didn't....

If that fails it's not uncommon for both to blow at the same time. Do you have high beams?

I see many 06's with just one working eye running around.

DieselDriver2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle GLS 5spd
I haven't checked the high beam yet, but around lunch time I will go outside and test it. I think it may actually be that relay 176. I can remove it now because I do not have the torx bits to remove the plastic cover underneath the dash board; which means I have to get home before sundown pilgrim!
Well the first thing I'd try is taking that relay back out... I used to mod that relay with electrical tape over the magnetic connector inside in, so the Brake warming lamp still worked (req. for inspection I believe) but the DRLs didn't....

If that fails it's not uncommon for both to blow at the same time. Do you have high beams?

I see many 06's with just one working eye running around.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
for testing purposes, you could use a flash light to find those 4 (I think it's only 4) screws, remove the cover, and put it back the next day in the sunlight... that's usually how I do it.

DieselDriver2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle GLS 5spd
Okay, sorry for the late posting. Here's what I found. Both regular high beam and flasher does not work, although I do see the high beam activation indicator come on, I don't hear any clicking sound from relay activation (don't know whether I should be hearing it). I doubt the both bulbs are out at the same time, so my guess is that there must be another relay or some sort or even a fuse that may have tripped maybe on top of the battery?
for testing purposes, you could use a flash light to find those 4 (I think it's only 4) screws, remove the cover, and put it back the next day in the sunlight... that's usually how I do it.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
You're logic is following mine. Check your owners manual, there should be a wiring diagram that explains the fuses. I don't know what changes occured from 98 to 06, but I'm sure many exist. I'd still remove 173 and see if it magically starts working again.

Worst case...break out your voltmeter.

DieselDriver2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle GLS 5spd
Yeah, I removed the 173, it's out for good. I think it might be that another relay is bad, that's my guess, I might have to get a service manual to determine which relay powers the low/high beam and maybe that should work. Once I can locate the relay, it should be fairly simple to check to see if it's any good. Hate to take out the headlamp clusters to check the voltage coming out of there (and even to check the bulbs) as you know how painful it is to take them out.
You're logic is following mine. Check your owners manual, there should be a wiring diagram that explains the fuses. I don't know what changes occured from 98 to 06, but I'm sure many exist. I'd still remove 173 and see if it magically starts working again.
Worst case...break out your voltmeter.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
Ah so even tho the fenders are newer looking the same old headlamp assembly is under neath. Lovely. I was hoping they'd revised that :)

DieselDriver2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle GLS 5spd
Yup, what a knuckle buster that lamp design, so bad that I want to get rid of the Beetle and get me a Toyota... oops, sorry, see how frustrated I am :eek:

Okay, I lost my Owner's Manual during one of the move out of the 3 in like last 6 years!

I want to find out if anyone can tell me which fuse under the hood is for the headlamps? Better yet, anyone can share a picture?
Ah so even tho the fenders are newer looking the same old headlamp assembly is under neath. Lovely. I was hoping they'd revised that :)

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
You know I do have the bentley in my car but it's only up to like the 02 model year. I'll put it on my to-do list.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
hey ... ok fuses 18-21 18-19 are high beam R/l and 20-21 are low beam R/L 27 is DRLs...

the only relay i see listed is the one in position 8, #173 or 53. I can't see any others.

Not sure what to suggest my friend :(

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
Just a dumb question, but have you checked the bulbs to make sure, swapped out the switch or checked the e-brake switch ?

DieselDriver2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle GLS 5spd
Okay, found the issue. For some reason, both headlamp assemblies were ajar and was stickingo out for about 1/2" from the housing, I don't know why this happened but after I had pushed it back in, it works. I really don't like that design, maybe it's good on ME-109 as space is tight but really, on a car? This experience had me wordering.. why 'o why I got this car...

billdawg

TDI
2006 Beetle TDI
left drl, headlight out

I had a blown bulb replaced worked two days. checked all fuses, checked all bulbs all good. While the houseing was out noticed sheaving on wireing falling off (terrible quality) taped up and reinstalled still no left lights. Test lighted the receptacle 3 out the 5 showed power. Bought a whole new housing with wires bulbs and a beautifully clear lens. Still no left drl or headlights. Help!!! Tanks