anyone advise against a '15 GSW?

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
i asked this off-topic in another thread, so starting anew:

a bit off topic - any reason i shouldn't consider going for a '15 GSW with 10 or 20k on odometer? plenty available in low $20's, which would pocket us several thousand after A3 buyback... wondering if prices will be even more attractive come holidays

kevkor2002

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen, 2002 Honda S2000
I'm very happy with my GSW so far. I just hit 12K miles and counting. Time will tell of my wisdom to get the DSG over the manual I kinda wanted but oh well. I really like that too so far. Easily my fav automatic trans I've ever been forced into piloting. If you are happy with the VAGs you've owned previously I cant see why you would balk at the '15s. If you haven't been happy with previous VAGs then your signature is one of a masochist. ;)

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
ha, i am a bit of a masochist at heart, but our '10 was an absolute gem for 60k and 5 or so years. i actually like it more than the "nicer" A3 we're flipping. only issue at all was glitchy window controls, which i guess comes standard in most VW productions!

i wish the GSW had the same comfy sport seats as the MKVI, but if all else is pretty much the same, i'm sold. especially with the prospect of a stage 1 + DSG tune.

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
a bit off topic - any reason i shouldn't consider going for a '15 GSW with 10 or 20k on odometer? plenty available in low $20's, which would pocket us several thousand after A3 buyback
You should be able to find a new one for that price. List on a "S" is around $26,800, $5000 rebate and $500-1000 discount puts you in low 20's. And you can get 72 months financing at 0%.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
You should be able to find a new one for that price. List on a "S" is around $26,800, $5000 rebate and $500-1000 discount puts you in low 20's. And you can get 72 months financing at 0%.
really, do tell. or are you talking about gassers?

Angus1

TDI
'15 GSW TDI 6MT
I was able to buy a 15 tdi gsw s 7k on the odo, 6mt plus got them to throw in heated seats for 20k out the door. Keep looking the deals are out there.

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
really, do tell. or are you talking about gassers?
No TDIs. These are the ones VW couldn't sell due to the cheating fiasco. I know the dealer in Tallahassee, Florida still has at least 8 TDI GSWs and other dealers probably have them as well.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDIs. These are the ones VW couldn't sell due to the cheating fiasco. I know the dealer in Tallahassee, Florida still has at least 8 TDI GSWs and other dealers probably have them as well.
which dealer? Capital shows zero GSW TDI.

i'm seeing a handful of lightly used (which i'm leaning toward) around the states, but not many NOS.

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
which dealer? Capital shows zero GSW TDI.
Yes, Capital Euro Cars. It's best to call or email. They don't show up on the dealers websites because they are too old. But, if you do a little searching, you can find them.
i'm seeing a handful of lightly used (which i'm leaning toward) around the states, but not many NOS.
You are going to have to dig a little more to find the new 2015 TDIs but they are out there. I know someone looking for a car, so I was corresponding with my salesman yesterday. He told me they had 8 new TDI Sportwagens left in a variety of colors. All DSGs. If you are interested, PM me and I'll give you his contact info.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Also do the lease and pay if off after the first month, you'll pocket about 2300 more off the sticker.

VW should be offering 8500 off if you lease.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
VW had some odd rules about posting the fixed new cars on web sites managed by VW, which is true for some dealers. There are still a few new ones on cars.com. Manuals are really rare, however.

Funny, people complained about the rebate amount when VW released the unsold '15s. Now they're happily paying more for a previously titled car with miles on it.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks Bobby, that helps. found one a bit closer with preferred color combo.

so VWofA is offering $3500 off on lease in addition to $5k rebate? i'm game!

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
In looking at Car.com last evening, I was surprised at the number to stop sale cars are still available, virtually all DSG.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Funny, people complained about the rebate amount when VW released the unsold '15s. Now they're happily paying more for a previously titled car with miles on it.
Probably different people! My guess is that if a person passed on the new stop sale cars they probably think that the buy backs are too expensive too. I am really surprised at how expensive the buyback cars are being listed for.

My local dealer Seacoast VW has them priced at basically new car prices, with none of the VW incentive prices. Then again I seem to see the same cars listed day after day so it doesn't seem to me that they are actually moving them at those prices.

Personally I have analysis paralysis about the whole thing. My current thinking is to wait (and hope) that the fixed Gen 1 buyback cars will be more affordable given that they are older. Plus I'm really not in a hurry to get anything.

And I've read differing opinions on the JSW vs. GSW's. Some people feel very strongly that one or the other engine and platform is better. I think that I like the GSW lines slightly better, but its a toss-up. I really don't care for the look of the GSW interiors with that metal looking dash material which is used for the S and SE's (SEL's have black). The lack of readily available 6MT's in any configuration is also a turn-off. I loved our JSW 6MT and think that I'd be kicking myself if I settled for a DSG knowing that 6MT's are out there somewhere!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Drive the GSW then drive a JSW, GSW wins hands down on the refinements of the Mk7, even if you have to get a DSG

As for the drive line, its a toss up. Many of the gremlins of the Gen 1 are known, Gen 3 maybe still to new or have already been corrected in the design changes.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Drive the GSW then drive a JSW, GSW wins hands down on the refinements of the Mk7, even if you have to get a DSG

As for the drive line, its a toss up. Many of the gremlins of the Gen 1 are known, Gen 3 maybe still to new or have already been corrected in the design changes.
Great opinion. My GSW experience was limited to a 5 minute test drive before the stop sale compared to 5+ years with the JSW. That said, the JSW was a great car and plenty refined to me. Heck, I love my MK4 so I guess I am okay without to much refinement in my life, although I have come to love the bi-xenon headlights on the GTI.

Wolfpack987

TDI
2015 Golf Sportswagen S
I purchased a "brand new" (230 original miles) red GSW TDI S DSG back in early May and the car has performed quite well for me. It is my first Volkswagen and my first diesel. I have around 5500 miles on it at the moment (rotated the tires just last weekend).

Unfortunately, the car just isn't for me and is currently for sale. Not trying to flip for profit, just don't want to lose money. Hoping to find a home for this car that's a better fit than mine. Anyone interested please PM away.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
how weird - i was just looking for a member near Raleigh to check out a "new" GSW there, and Wolfpack shows up with 1st ever post... a little TOO weird, i'd say.
and wouldn't you know it - "the manager" suddenly reports it is being sold "as we speak."
cue Film Noir music:rolleyes:

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
I love mine and just at 39,xxx bought new in 2015. My sister in law bought a new 15 SE GSW 6MT in May and loves hers too. She has almost 10k on it already. She hasn't been back to the dealer for any problems so far. Mine has been back to the dealer twice: once to get the $500/$500 cards at the beginning of Dieselgate and another to get the fix. Knock on wood, no problems. Just have done the maintenance myself since day one and just now a new set of tires.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
What refinements are you talking about?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What refinements are you talking about?
I'm coming from a Mk5 jetta, the mk7 has the same refinement of the interior not much of the cheapening out of the mk6 jetta, fit and finish is just as good if not better. Visibility is hands down better too.

The sound deadening and highway noise is greatly reduced. The weight reduction adds up.

This may be dedicated to the alltrack but, the handling is on par if not better then my mk5 with a 24mm bar RSB, it just sits so level thru the corners and begs for more. The alltrack does have the swaybars of the golf r so that may not be the same with the TDI.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
I'm coming from a Mk5 jetta, the mk7 has the same refinement of the interior not much of the cheapening out of the mk6 jetta, fit and finish is just as good if not better. Visibility is hands down better too.

The sound deadening and highway noise is greatly reduced. The weight reduction adds up.

This may be dedicated to the alltrack but, the handling is on par if not better then my mk5 with a 24mm bar RSB, it just sits so level thru the corners and begs for more. The alltrack does have the swaybars of the golf r so that may not be the same with the TDI.
OK, compared to the Mark 5. I didn't see anything I liked better compared to my 2012 (Mark 6 golf-based, if I understand correctly) JSW, and a few things I liked worse (bottom access oil filter, fake metal dash, push-to-start button, absence of full-size spare). I was not able to drive the 2015 GSW on the highway, so I can't say anything about sound deadening.

[Jetta vs. Golf: My understanding is that the Mk6 (2009-2014) Jetta sedan is the cheapened US version, whereas the Mk6 (2009-2014) Jetta wagon, being Golf-based, did not undergo that transformation for the worse. So at least in the US one has to be careful which Jetta one is referring to, the wagon or the sedan, since they are very different. When I test drove a 2012 TDI Golf and the 2012 TDI JSW, I thought the JSW interior was nicer. So there might be some subtle differences between those two as well.]

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Look at cars.com. I see one GSW at Wallace Imports in Johnson City, TN and lots in the Atlanta area.

If you want it, go for it. I just couldn't pull the trigger as I didn't think the deals were good enough to go back to a car payment.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK, compared to the Mark 5. I didn't see anything I liked better compared to my 2012 (Mark 6 golf-based, if I understand correctly) JSW, and a few things I liked worse (bottom access oil filter, fake metal dash, push-to-start button, absence of full-size spare). I was not able to drive the 2015 GSW on the highway, so I can't say anything about sound deadening.

[Jetta vs. Golf: My understanding is that the Mk6 (2009-2014) Jetta sedan is the cheapened US version, whereas the Mk6 (2009-2014) Jetta wagon, being Golf-based, did not undergo that transformation for the worse. So at least in the US one has to be careful which Jetta one is referring to, the wagon or the sedan, since they are very different. When I test drove a 2012 TDI Golf and the 2012 TDI JSW, I thought the JSW interior was nicer. So there might be some subtle differences between those two as well.]
Remember the difference between the MK5 JSW/Sedan and MK6 JSW are mainly sheet metal only, fenders and front end. A 2010-14 Golf had way more changes than a JSW. At 2010 Sedan had the same running gear as a 2014 JSW. It was the Mk6 jetta sedan in 2011 that cheapened out including the running gear/platform.

IMO comparing MK6 Jetta Wagon and Mk7 GSW should be just like comparing a MK5 jetta Sedan and MK7 golf, but I've never owned a MK6 Jetta wagon, so I may just be crazy.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
Look at cars.com. I see one GSW at Wallace Imports in Johnson City, TN and lots in the Atlanta area.

If you want it, go for it. I just couldn't pull the trigger as I didn't think the deals were good enough to go back to a car payment.
found one w/ 6500miles, they'll do 20k out the door... lien reported in Aug '15 with 12miles on odometer sounds odd, though.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
found one w/ 6500miles, they'll do 20k out the door... lien reported in Aug '15 with 12miles on odometer sounds odd, though.
NOS GSWs

Is that a GSW S wagon for $20k OTD?
The above linked units should be $183xx with the $8500 lease discount, then add TTL.
For "new" ones...

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
nice, but looking only at blau/beige SE's (picky picky!)... kind of agree with someone who said they'd rather have one that's been lightly used than sitting for 2 years. makes sense to me - diesels wanna be driven, right?

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
pulled das trigger - 20k out the door for an SE with 6700miles. got him to throw in a tint job, now just need to decide if i'm flying to OH or having it shipped down here.
wife finally gets her sexy blue wagon. this bodes very well for me:D

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
I was able to buy a 15 tdi gsw s 7k on the odo, 6mt plus got them to throw in heated seats for 20k out the door. Keep looking the deals are out there.
Don't mean to de-rail, but do you know what the dealer did to be able to add heated seats? Wondering if it was just switches and coding or if wiring and/or new seats were involved.