Fan Control Module location in 09'?

ikezilla

TDI
2009 TDI Sportwagen
Before I go tearing into the car, can anyone tell me where I will find the module to check it out and possibly replace it?

Chad@EuroTec

Vendor
TDI
2010 Jetta TDi, 6sp manual
Before I go tearing into the car, can anyone tell me where I will find the module to check it out and possibly replace it?
The module is not replaceable separately from the fan. No way to test either, except using VCDS. You can check the small fan by disconnecting and applying 12v/ground directly to the terminals.

ikezilla

TDI
2009 TDI Sportwagen
is it not one control unit that effects both fans? After some research a little while back, and one code that had been thrown, I ordered the FCM because it was cheap and I hoped it might do the trick. There were no noticeable issues other than the fan code (not sure what it was exactly). Now, the AC stopped working, and I want to replace this part before I do anything else.

ikezilla

TDI
2009 TDI Sportwagen
and if my AC isn't working, will that effect the radiator temps for a 2 hour drive I have to make before I can get to it all?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
HVAC fan or coolant fan? I'm confused...
Apparently. He wasn't talking about the fans, he was talking about the controller that controls both which is integral to the larger fan.

Digitally controlled stuff on these cars works differently then the old analog controlled components the older cars have.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
and if my AC isn't working, will that effect the radiator temps for a 2 hour drive I have to make before I can get to it all?
If the fans are not working correctly, as long as you don't get stuck in stop and go traffic, engine cooling should be OK. At 25+ MPH, the fans don't even come on for engine cooling. Just be prepared to pull over and shut the engine off if you are moving at a snails pace for very long.

jmontal03

TDI
2009 TDI JSW
my 09 only seems to have one functional fan-small passenger side fan. I've read and perf. a test- ign. on A.C. on engine not running no fans. start engine small fan runs after a short delay big fan nothing. Does that prove the large fan dead?

BITRBO

TDI
'09 JSW DSG
^IDK, but I wish I could at least get the small one to run on my car... Neither of them work when connected to the car, but work just fine when connected to a separate 12v D.C. supply. :confused:

And as far as the OP's concerns about overheating... I've been driving my JSW for almost 2 weeks now w/o working rad fans, through stop & go traffic, in this ball-soup called south Florida, and the temp gauge has never even flinched past 190* Unless you're going through the mountains or towing something substantial, you should be just fine at normal highway speeds.

jwp175

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 & 2010 Jetta
Bump on this older thread ....

I am having similar issues with my 2010 Jetta TDI. I removed the fan assembly and tested the fans by directly hooking 12volts, and NOTHING.

I Replaced the entire fan assembly with a new one that DID work when attaching 12v directly. However, that did not resolve the Fan 1 control module short to ground code. And my ac compressor still will not engage. Now, I am throwing a diesel filter code. The codes just keep mounting.

I thought the fan control module was a separate unit under the battery tray, or is that just on the mk4's and older?

Any help would be appreciated ...

Jwp