There is sand and salt on Tulsa roads this morning :eek:

TV reporting many crashes :mad:

Both cars are in the garage until roads clear. :p

.... no fender benders, no salt sand corrosion for us. :D

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
There is sand and salt on Tulsa roads this morning :eek: .... no fender benders, no salt sand corrosion for us. :D
No salt/sand/corrosion for us either. It's 75° out on 12/24 ;), I just mounted the Thule Rapid Crossroad feet I scored off CL yesterday to the Thule Aeroblade 47s I picked up for $25, then cored the feet with the locks off my old Thule square bar crossroad feet. Now, we'll see if I like the Aeroblades as much on the MkIV wagon as I do on my wife's MkV.

SoKYTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 4-door
Just diagnosed a worn bell crank relay socket. Ordered a new 1st Gear Getter from DieselGeek, hope to get it & put it in by the weekend! It's a crappy time of year to be working with plastic bits...

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
On the Golf: Replaced the rear coil springs, both were broken. On the following test drive one of the rear wheel bearings started to groan, on to the third set already, in 230k km...

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm curious how both of your rear springs broke? Very unusual!
Even more strange is that it passed inspection just a few weeks ago. One spring was broken almost in the middle, the other just about half a coil at the lower end.
Either the one that broke in the middle went first, putting the other spring under a different load than usual so that also snapped, or maybe that spring already was broken but not seen at the inspection.
Both looked fresh in the break though.

I had no idea about the other spring being broken until I removed it.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Not only is unusual for rear broken springs, but also very unusual to be replacing rear wheel bearing 3 times, even is he's using spacers.
Bajan
No spacers. First wheel bearing changed at 130k km and now again at 230k km, pretty normal for a mkV... The springs were the original ones.

Last edited:

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Maybe in Sweden. i'm still on original rear bearings and springs. 247k miles.
247k on original bearings is very good. Maybe some last longer than others, but it does seem like a bad design. Lot's of threads about bad mkV bearings on the 'net.
Like this:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=301053&highlight=wheel+bearing

Maybe it's more common in europe , like worn camshafts are a NA thing?

Broken springs are probably caused by corrosion, we use a lot of salt on the roads over here. Mk4's suffered from that also.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
247k on original bearings is very good. Maybe some last longer than others, but it does seem like a bad design. Lot's of threads about bad mkV bearings on the 'net.
Like this:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=301053&highlight=wheel+bearing
Maybe it's more common in europe , like worn camshafts are a NA thing?
Broken springs are probably caused by corrosion, we use a lot of salt on the roads over here. Mk4's suffered from that also.
You're right it's probably all the salt used. My cams still good too :) I must be lucky.

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
I just had a broken front spring. I had a set of SRS springs. Seeing as I did not want to pony up for a completely new set of those springs (of which I really loved the handling) I opted for the lift kit springs. When I removed the other front spring I found the end of the bottom of that spring was broken. Well after about 5 days of driving the new springs... I really love em. Also, it will help with towing and kids getting bigger. It's funny switching from a dropped wagon to a lifted wagon. It feels like CUV now.

The SRS springs lasted about 100k miles with the lake sized pot holes and salted roads in my area.

Last edited:

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
I re swap Ecu's, replacing my rc4+ for what I thought was dead asv-rc5+ . Also I had 2 bad Bosch glow plugs, so I decided to replace all 4 with Beru units which I've always had better cold starts with anyways. I'm surprised the Bosch only lasted 2-1/2 years smh.

Bajan

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Florida is the plan, so we're trading months of sub-zero weather and frozen pipes for the possibility of the occasional hurricane and the guarantee of bugs that are big and populous sufficient to carry you away and eat you elsewhere. Gotta sell the house first, and gotta do some painting and other repairs before that will fly.

Sigh...

PH

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Florida is the plan, so we're trading months of sub-zero weather and frozen pipes for the possibility of the occasional hurricane and the guarantee of bugs that are big and populous sufficient to carry you away and eat you elsewhere. Gotta sell the house first, and gotta do some painting and other repairs before that will fly.

Sigh...

PH
That is what we're doing here except we are going to Prescott, AZ. The plan is to sell this house, rent while looking, then after buying do any renovations before moving in. We were going to paint after removing the wallpaper but decided to leave it white and let the new owners paint their preference.

Gotta figure how to get 3 cars to AZ AND which one will be parked outside! It'll probably stay the Jetta.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That is what we're doing here except we are going to Prescott, AZ. The plan is to sell this house, rent while looking, then after buying do any renovations before moving in. We were going to paint after removing the wallpaper but decided to leave it white and let the new owners paint their preference.

Gotta figure how to get 3 cars to AZ AND which one will be parked outside! It'll probably stay the Jetta.
Ha! If I were going back to AZ, that is probably where I'd end up. Unfortunately for me, the wife insists on proximity to the ocean. Prescott gives you tolerable summer temps (why the first capital was there) and in winter, an occasional dusting of snow is about all you'll have to put up with. Unless there is a 3 foot blizzard in Flagstaff that bleeds south that is...

And we have the same how-to-move-3-cars problem!

Cheers,

PH

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Ha! ... snip...

Car transport-haulers?

... cost = approx $1.25 per mile

... 45-50 years ago rent a u-haul bumper hitch ~~ $15-20 (?)

... In my 1966 Chevy SS (327) I hauled my BILs VW across 3 states at 65-70 MPH

... HIS VW HAD A BLOWN ENGINE:mad:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ha! If I were going back to AZ, that is probably where I'd end up. Unfortunately for me, the wife insists on proximity to the ocean. Prescott gives you tolerable summer temps (why the first capital was there) and in winter, an occasional dusting of snow is about all you'll have to put up with. Unless there is a 3 foot blizzard in Flagstaff that bleeds south that is...

Cheers,

PH
That is why I chose it - out of the triple digit heat (had enough of it here in Oroville) and out of the snow area.

As for the cars, it would work if I could fly from Prescott to Oroville rather than drive to Phoenix, fly to Sacramento, drive to Oroville so I could get the third car. At least you also have the Auto-train option back east.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I really think my cheapest option is fly one way and drive the other. I can do one in a weekend that way. Any shipping option I have seen is more than the car is worth.

PH

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Went out and started my car tonight after work, went back inside to let it warm up. Came out ~30 min later, car was cold.

Scangauge was up at ~165F, ice cold air coming out of the floor vents. Left my hand down at the vent and revved the engine to ~1500 RPM and suddenly lots of heat. Brought it back down to idle and the heat didn't go away or cool off even after ~60 seconds with the fan on 3, if anything it kept getting warmer (and scangauge lost 5+ degrees).

Everything else is relatively normal. Had this happen at least one other time this winter. Other times it warms up just fine (as fine as can be expected for a TDI :)).

Coolant level is fine, just under mid way on coolant reservoir ball.

Thoughts?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Went out and started my car tonight after work, went back inside to let it warm up. Came out ~30 min later, car was cold.

Scangauge was up at ~165F, ice cold air coming out of the floor vents. Left my hand down at the vent and revved the engine to ~1500 RPM and suddenly lots of heat. Brought it back down to idle and the heat didn't go away or cool off even after ~60 seconds with the fan on 3, if anything it kept getting warmer (and scangauge lost 5+ degrees).

Everything else is relatively normal. Had this happen at least one other time this winter. Other times it warms up just fine (as fine as can be expected for a TDI :)).

Thoughts?
Collapsed hose on heater core? Reving the engine increased the coolant pressure temporarily opening the hose could account for the sudden heat.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI

Thoughts?
You warm your car up for half an hour? Talk about waste and not good for the car. Get a webasto