Bought an bod code reader having trouble resetting the faulty air bag light

Beardog1906

TDI
Gt tdi sport
Bought an obd code reader having trouble resetting the faulty air bag light

Hi guys.as the title suggests I'm having trouble resetting the airbag code with the reader I bought.any advise please.

Last edited:

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Generic Chinese OBD-II turd? Generic OBD-II won't talk to anything but the ECU, so not unexpected . . . (and the cheezy ones have other problems as well.) Find someone with VCDS, should be a non issue . . .

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Your title says it all. It is an OBD reader which only reads emission codes when your trouble is with the airbags which are not emissions related.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
You could buy Torque Pro and a Bluetooth dongle for your phone and fix the problem that way. I have both VCDS and Torque Pro and have not found an error Torque Pro would not reset.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Dorque won't talk to anything other than the ECU/powertrain . . . It's just another flavor of generic OBD-II, with *ZERO* VAG capabilities, sorry . . . . VCDS is *the* ticket for these cars . . . .

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I guess that settles it, Torque Pro is much more limited than I thought; I apologize for that. I will say if you are going to own a VAG car, unless you are very close to a TDIClub member that owns one, you should save up if necessary to buy VCDS; one trip to the dealer to get codes checked or fixed is more than 1/2 the cost of the basic VCDS.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Does your reader set a DTC (code) and what is the number? Even with VCDS, if a fault is still active, it might clear and then come right back immediately. What year is your car? On some of the earlier cars there is a warning not to scan the airbags because scanning can brick the airbag controller.

Last edited:

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
Does your reader set a DTC (code) and what is the number? Even with VCDS, if a fault is still active, it might clear and then come right back immediately. What year is your car? On some of the earlier cars there is a warning not to scan the airbags because scanning can brick the airbag controller.

The issue was, if one of those buggy airbag modules is called out to for scanning a few times in a row without getting a proper connection, a glitch in the airbag module would cause said module to brick. It didn't matter what kind of scan tool was used.

However, this hasn't been an issue for Ross-Tech customers since 2004. We made a change in how our software interacts with airbag modules and if things aren't going smoothly right off the bat, VCDS stops trying to scan the airbag module before the glitch could get triggered. As best I know, no Ross-Tech customers had the issue after version 404 (April 2004) and we are now on version 17.8.0 (August 2017).

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/vw_issues.html

Regards.

jimgolf

TDI
Golf Mk4 PD130 ASZ '52
However, this hasn't been an issue for Ross-Tech customers since 2004. We made a change in how our software interacts with airbag modules and if things aren't going smoothly right off the bat, VCDS stops trying to scan the airbag module before the glitch could get triggered. As best I know, no Ross-Tech customers had the issue after version 404 (April 2004) and we are now on version 17.8.0 (August 2017).

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/vw_issues.html
hi Jef, could you say if this fix is also in VCDS-Lite 1.2 ?

Thanks.