Weird oil leak on the back of alh engine

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Hey I am trying to diagnose an oil leak on the back of the engine, it is not the turbo, valve cover, and doesn't appear to be head gasket.

I cleaned it all up and wiped down to as clean as possible, no significant oil present, then started it up and let it present again.

The only place I can see it coming from is the engine mount on the pulley side of the engine.
it runs down the back side then down the block.

I cannot think of something that should leak here. There is no oil in the timing cover or on the belt as I can see.

I have recently used a engine mount bracket repair kit on it purchased from idparts.

Any ideas of what might leak??????

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Yeah the EGR is good and there is no oil in the timing belt cover so not the cam shaft.

I am looking a bit lower near the engine mount bracket...

turbotec

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2015 Audi Q7
How about the oil galley plug? There is 2 on the timing belt side. And one on the transmission side.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
The camshaft seal typically leaks BEHIND the plastic plate underneath the timing belt components. Frequently seen where you report a leak.....

turbotec

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2015 Audi Q7
Is this like a freeze plug?
I will be taking timing belt cover off to replace the cam seals so will be able to see everything.
Yes. Just like a freeze plug, but only about a 1/2 inch in diameter. This spot leaking is mostly unlikely, but the other guys listed all the other locations I would have suggested.....This is just one place I would also check!

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
sorry that was dieselgeek block repair kit...

I had my panzer plate on and hit a riser on the side of the road...
Saved the oil pan and broke the little ear the bracket holds on to...

so I am gonna change the cam shaft seals and likely clean turbo at the same time, with the engine down and forward I will have more room to work...

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I believe I remember some one else having leak from a broken ear mount. I am pretty sure they had to seal it with epoxy.

You might take a closer look and call DieselGeek to discuss this possibility.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Thanks I have looked it over a few times and have seen nothing...

One more thing to have a good look at when it is apart in the next couple weeks weather permitting.

For now I am planning on a intake and turbo cleaning along with cam shaft seal replacement.

really sucks I have had the timing belt off more than I ever expected!!