Leaking Sunroof :[

Picaroon

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL DSG
Well we had a rainy weekend and Sunday morning I hopped in the TDI to grab some coffee and noticed my passenger side head liner was wet.

Its at the dealer now. They said it already had the recall patch job done previously and the the drain tubes were clogged and they were checking to see if my extended warranty was going to cover the repair and a new headliner. Well after a two hour wait I got a text from the dealer that it would be covered.:D

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
congrats on the warranty work, i heard head liners are back ordered due to rash off leaks on '17 and '18 GSWs.

smittyatl

TDI
GSW
Dropped mine off a week ago for warranty repair.

Had leaks down both D-pillars.

Haven't heard anything back from them yet.

Make sure to do a test drive with someone from the service department on bumpy roads to verify no rattles or squeaks from the headliner re-installation.

Picaroon

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL DSG
Did u see what it cost without warranty?
I found the headliner on-line for 550 and the A-pilar is another 150 or so.. both had staines. They said they were clearing and modifying the drain tubes.

Considering I paid less then $1500 for a 48mo/100,000mi extended warranty, just this repair is paying for itself. I'll find out what the total cost would be and post up.

[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:

smittyatl

TDI
GSW
Going on 2 weeks at the dealer.

Last word was they are replacing:

1. Rear drain lines
2. Headliner
3. Power sunscreen
4. Subwoofer from flood damage.

I must say the 2019 Jetta SEL loaner is a giant leap forward from the previous Jetta.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....

1. Rear drain lines
2. Headliner
3. Power sunscreen

I must say the 2019 Jetta SEL loaner is a giant leap forward from the previous Jetta.
I would verify with them that they snipped off the check valves on the ends of all 4 drain tubes. If not, have it done or do it yourself. All the new parts are it risk unless that's done.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Pics of locations of these valves?
The rears are in the far corners of the quarter panels behind the wheel wells. The left is exposed, the right is under a removable panel.

The fronts are in the wiper well (cowl) in the upper corners just below the A-pillars. They are accessible by removing the wipers (puller may be required), cowl cover, a small shroud on the right side and the wiper linkage on the left.

I took a bunch of pics when I did it with the intention of doing a write-up but never got around to it.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Keep in mind those things aren't so much "valves" as little hinged rubber flaps that cover the end of the drain tube. I guess they exist so you don't get grit spit up into them to clog the tubes (?), but then the slightest gunk in the tube clogs up the end from above now instead.

Picaroon

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL DSG
Still leaking!! Going back to the dealer on Tuesday. Hopefully they get it right this time!! ***

Last edited:

Picaroon

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL DSG

1. Rear drain lines
2. Headliner
3. Power sunscreen

Hopefully they get it!.. keep me posted on how they do.

smittyatl

TDI
GSW
Hopefully they get it!.. keep me posted on how they do.
They changed it all plus the hatch carpet. Took a couple weeks. No charge under warranty.

Oh, and if no one ever noticed; the headliner is a different color than the pillars. It is a darker/browner color. Complained when I went to pickup but took a look around the lot and all cars had the same.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I just gotta pull the wiper arm and get under the cowls, I pulled the rears out over the summer one had prob 2-3" of water standing in it when i knock it loose and pulled it off.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just gotta pull the wiper arm and get under the cowls, I pulled the rears out over the summer one had prob 2-3" of water standing in it when i knock it loose and pulled it off.
If those wipers have never been off, you may need a puller. Arm power wouldn't do it. I tried my battery terminal puller which shattered from the pressure. Resorted to one of my gear pullers.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Fooled em this time. No sunroof!
My biggest gripe with the sunroof is not the leakage, as long as having eliminated the exit valves continues to keep the headliner dry. Somehow the headliner stains were only evident during the initial leak, not after it had dried (and no mildew smell). I lucked out.

My objection to the sunroof is the perforated sun shade. Its a shame that a solid, thicker fabric couldn't have been used. At some point I'd like to remedy this.

Picaroon

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL DSG
Got the news on Wednesday and the service rep thinks the only option is to replace the sunroof frame and headliner.. total cost $3500 ��(Covered again by my extended warranty) Wont be done till Tuesday - Wednesday

The one thing i want to know is how the hell a dealership can do $1500 in work and say "We Got It!" and the next rain its sill leaks! I take it back and they want $3500 more to try and fix it again...lol ***!! How does that work??

Picaroon

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL DSG
My biggest gripe with the sunroof is not the leakage, as long as having eliminated the exit valves continues to keep the headliner dry. Somehow the headliner stains were only evident during the initial leak, not after it had dried (and no mildew smell). I lucked out.
My objection to the sunroof is the perforated sun shade. Its a shame that a solid, thicker fabric couldn't have been used. At some point I'd like to remedy this.
Limo tint on the sunroof.. Thats next on the list

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got the news on Wednesday and the service rep thinks the only option is to replace the sunroof frame and headliner.. total cost $3500 ��(Covered again by my extended warranty) Wont be done till Tuesday - Wednesday

The one thing i want to know is how the hell a dealership can do $1500 in work and say "We Got It!" and the next rain its sill leaks! I take it back and they want $3500 more to try and fix it again...lol ***!! How does that work??
Did you verify that they snipped off the 4 hose valves last time or will this time?

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL

I couldnt agree more. I paid you once to fix it. You keep working on it till its fixed. Not my fault you didnt fix it right the first time. My local CarX is that way. Saw them put 6 free hours into refixing till it was fixed. No cost to me. Not sure how we ever got to where we pay them whether they fix it or not. It shouldnt be that way dealer or independent shop.