View Single Post
Old June 20th, 2018, 07:40   #101
93celicaconv
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbright View Post
Yes, the heater core was replaced just after having the 'fix' done in September. I have the receipt with all the parts numbers etc. ($1112.79) VW Customer Care gave me the runaround when I tried to get them to cover the cost, left the decision up to dealership, which refused, even though there was growing suspicion here (the TDI Club) that the fix stressed the heater core. I doubt this dealership, the largest in the state, faked the repair. I bought the car from them and have used them for all services since and have a good relationship with them. So this is the second heater core to fail, not even a year since installation. Funny thing is I complained several times to them this past winter about how inadequate the heat was. They checked the system and said it was working fine (it was not). I'm wondering how long this new hc will last. Also, there was no hesitation to pay for this one under warranty. I will be going in this afternoon and I'll find out more.
FWIW, somewhere in this forum there was a VW Service Bulletin on these 2010-2014 2.0L TDI models with heater core plugging, and the point of the service bulletin was to clear spell out the process associated with flushing the entire cooling system with the old heater core remove and before the new one being installed, to ensure all other aspects of the cooling system had the residual assembly flux (used to join aluminum cores to tanks) and corrosion debris (aluminum oxide caused by the flux decaying the coolant corrosion inhibitors much quicker than the normal 2-3 year coolant change duty cycle) to avoid the potential of a repeat heater core plugging issue and another heater core replacement.

I say this because it may be possible the dealership did change your heater core, but didn't follow the VW service bulletin, so your system still had debris in it the quickly clogged your new core. Not saying this is certainly what happened, but I can see this possibility fitting your situation.
93celicaconv is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06390 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 16.33 Kb. compressed to 14.85 Kb. by saving 1.47 Kb. (9.01%)]