Motor shake after TB change

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
06 VW Jetta BRM 5SPD ,2005 Passat TDI Wagon( SOLD ), 05 Mk4 Golf BEW , 04 MK4 Golf BEW , MPG Who cares It's a Diesel
06 BRM with 186,000 . Changed TB with kit from Diesel geek , timed spot on , have done several of them in the past ( ALH, BEW , BHW ) so it’s not my first shot at it .
Torsión value was at -2.0 so I set 0.0° KW BRM cover show. -0.5 so I left it at zero As the hero

My so drive the car for good 70 mile , he noticed it shakes after the eng reach operating temp of 84°c or so , shakes more noticeable at idle

Yesterday I made a 550 mile trip doing 70-80 mph and so far every thing is working like a clock work no different except the shake at idle , more noticeable at lower speed , eng perform as well if not better than before , stable when cold with no shakes . When it’s warm it has that shake you can feel it inside the cabin at the stop light .

Don’t you think if I caused the motor mount to tear it will do it all the time

I Know if my crank to cam timing it will do it all the time not just when it’s warm ?

I set my tensioner arrow to fall between the designed mark even after hand rotation it remained the same , however after I started the car I noticed the tensioner has gotten slightly tighter so is the belt but I didn’t check it after the long trip as I have 550mile trip back home ..!

Could it be my fuel filter which I just replaced 5k miles ago

I know if the timing is off it will be off. Any thoughts

Last edited:

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
I wouldn't think it's a fuel filter problem. I have seen them clog, but that results in fuel starvation at higher RPM.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
What do the smooth idle compensation numbers show? I forget which Group it is, but I think it is in the first 10 or so. A healthy engine will have +/- 1.00 or less, preferably less, on each cylinder.

Also is the alternator pulley clutch working properly?

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
It's engine module/ block 4, 13 and 15 we pay attention to.

04 is torsion value
13 is idle balance compensation
15 is liter per hour fuel usage in the third window.

The Question about Torsion Value is a thread that explains how the three blocks are used

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Other thoughts...

I won't soon forget the customer that came from a dealership who wanted to replace all of his injectors because of a mis-fire. That should show up in VCDS error codes. I pulled the valve cover and pushed the wire connector for #3 injector back in... problem solved...

However, cam wear and torsion value timing are critical. A BHW engine we initially set at 0.0 for the torsion value lost 4 mpg. When the customer complained, we set it back to the original setting of .5 and the lost mileage came right back. That means to me, torsion value is critical and we spend some time getting the torsion, idle balance and fuel usage numbers to jive.

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
06 VW Jetta BRM 5SPD ,2005 Passat TDI Wagon( SOLD ), 05 Mk4 Golf BEW , 04 MK4 Golf BEW , MPG Who cares It's a Diesel
TDI started on a dime today , idled smooth and eng solid with no shakes, drove it for 10 minute , eng reached its normal operating temp and it started to shake at idle .
The little odd thing that I feel that the eng shake some times gets more amplified and some times it kinda smooth out but it remain there .?:confused:

I am out of town for business and don’t have my Vag , we I have noticed yesterday at one point the eng smoothed it self out but went back to shake
My plan is
1- lessen the tensioner to drop it a hair down right on the lower threshold
2- back the torsión to -.5
I am in the Atlanta area until end of the week before I head back home , if any one from the club in the are with VAG that we could get together to chat and check the idle balance that would be appreciated

Last edited:

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
It's engine module/ block 4, 13 and 15 we pay attention to.

04 is torsion value
13 is idle balance compensation
15 is liter per hour fuel usage in the third window.

The Question about Torsion Value is a thread that explains how the three blocks are used
Whats is the correlation between all 3 , knowing the Torsión value what the others reveal ?

I tested the Alt pulley , tensioner , new Alt belt

Sauaciden

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 8L 1.9TDI
Don't know if this will help but did you check alternator pulley? My car used to shake slightly at idle when warm and it was due to seized alternator clutch pulley

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Just thought I'd mention that you posted this in the Mk4 forum, whereas the BRM is in the Mk5 cars; you might get more answers if you can get this moved by a moderator to the Mk5 forum (?)

Last edited:

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
I double checked the Alt Clutched Pulley this morning ,it checked ok so is the serpentine belt tensioner ,however the Alt pulley little noisy than I like .

Made a quick check and I backed the TB tensioner 10th of a thousand but that didn’t make much difference . One thing I noticed that made a difference during my testing was while the car is running and using an adjustable wrench I backed of the Belt tension to double check the Alt and no change but As soon the belt engage the motor picks up about 100 RPM enough to smooth it but that is unusual for my BRM rpm to be running 100 more than usual and off course I don’t have Vag with me , my tools are limited to adjustable wrench and flat head screw driver :D

It will be very Interesting to see the #’s when I get home ,

Last edited:

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
Problem cleared and improved after I used all the fuel and filled new full tank

Could have been the violent shake of the fuel filter canister and flipping it during TB change process . It might caused some settled sediment to move up stream to get injector clogged which is High Probability .

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
If you suspect sediment got into your injectors? That's not good. Flipping the filter should not send any thing other than fuel. That's how a filter works. Outside is dirt. Inside is clean.

Louie710

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta sedan 2002 Jetta wagon
Just thought I'd mention that you posted this in the Mk4 forum, whereas the BRM is in the Mk5 cars; you might get more answers if you can get this moved by a moderator to the Mk5 forum (?)
Funny that it took someone that long to mention this. I know if it would have been a newbie that had made that mistake he wouldn't be receiving the same polite and helpful comments this gentleman has :D

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
Well how about an admin move the thread to the proper Category . But for what it is worth I have increased the torsion in value to +1 , timing is spot on, tensioner set 100%. I also ran Lipro Motlley diesel purge cleaner in a jug directly to the injector , it now idle & brr like a kitten . I will monitor the idle