New TB and IP, P1562 causing mostly no start and running really rough

lucassayers7

TDI
MK6 TDI Golf (recall) MK1 Rabbit TD from NA(sold) MK1 Scirocco TDI (Building)1990 Corrado TDI(Daily)
Hello All, I had a leaky Injection pump with 250k on it, 1998 Jetta AHU tdi motor in my Corrado. Finally got around to doing the Timing belt and putting a new bosch IP in it with just 5k on it. after getting the timing spot on, she started once and run rough, leveled out and died after a minute. re-did the timing a few times and now sometimes can get her started but the idle runs weird with sometimes moving slightly up or down. but when revved won't go high at all(above 1400rpm or so) and would go up slow and sound awful and bounce around that rpm. I finally got a code off it P1562, looked into and i am surprised on what to do next i had primed everything multiple times but i cant tell if there is zero air bubbles or the pump isnt pulling any fuel even when not hook up to alt fuel source.

At a loss at what do, thinking i should order VCDS from Ross-tech and set the QA in the new pump? Do i need to? Or swap the QA from the old to the new? check other things? Just guessing from everything i've been reading i know i have to set the IQ but cant do that until i can get her to stay running. Thanks in advanced.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
You need vcds. Not sure how your doing it otherwise.
Check and recheck your ip wiring on both harnesses and the wire loom. Especially the white wire on the big plug. Also the 3rd injector harness needs a perfect connection.check it as well.
You can hammer mod it a bit to see if it improves.

lucassayers7

TDI
MK6 TDI Golf (recall) MK1 Rabbit TD from NA(sold) MK1 Scirocco TDI (Building)1990 Corrado TDI(Daily)
Ordering vdcs right now. I guess I'm wondering if there is a procedure to run after installing a new pump, alot of different information I've been reading not quite sure what to follow.

Sounds like setting the QA first and seeing if she runs to then be able to adjust IQ. The QA should be close to 5 to level out everything and atleast between 2 to 9 mg.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Ordering vdcs right now. I guess I'm wondering if there is a procedure to run after installing a new pump, alot of different information I've been reading not quite sure what to follow.
Sounds like setting the QA first and seeing if she runs to then be able to adjust IQ. The QA should be close to 5 to level out everything and atleast between 2 to 9 mg.
Glad you're ordering VCDS, it's a big benefit, but you might have been able to find a used one in the FS section here that has unlimited use. The newer ones are VIN limited unfortunately.

As for your problem I'm guessing the IP is at fault. While it's not uncommon to have perfect timing done after belt change because you're using the same IP, when you swap to new IP it creates a whole new set of potential problems.

Verify that fuel is flowing without air to the IP before proceeding further, and renew fuel filter if there's a question about age.

Do you know if the pump builder ever setup the IP after rebuild? Did you have to do the hammer mod when you installed it so the IQ was resonably close?

In all honestly it shouldn't be doing this if it was a fresh rebuild done right. At least IMO.

Steve

lucassayers7

TDI
I have very limited information on the new IP. I don't know where the IQ is set at the moment, not getting the P1562 today guessing it was stored one of the times i messed around with the pump adjustments (physically rotating).

I was told it is a brand new not rebuilt but fresh from bosch and it certainly looks that way and was used for 5,000 miles before switched to something bigger i'm guessing. The guy i bought it from doesn't know anything else about it cause he bought it from a friend.

*Main Question now is: would a bad set IQ and QA cause my problems? would be great to hear that is the issue instead of having to get it rebuilt or a new one.

As for Air and filter, the filter is one week old. The old one was rusted(somehow?) bad and leaking extreme air in the two in and outlets. Left me stranded in a snow storm recently. But i bleed everything with extreme caution after the IP install and practicality no bubbles. before this i had gotten every bubble out after the filter change, so i know everything is sealed tight at this point.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Does the new IP pn match the old pn?

Otherwise, start with the hammer mod.

-Todd

lucassayers7

TDI
What do you mean by injection pump pn?

Also got VCDS ended up getting a new cable, got the numbers settled on the graph slightly in the advanced area in about 4-5 mg/str IQ ( is it normally for it to go way up when revving about 25 mq/str?)

The issue i now see is really odd. When i rev the car i can sometimes rev past 1500 to 18 or 19 but there is an extreme amount of popping and smoke (full throttle). When i looked at the pump there is no fuel being pulled into it at the normal rate its almost a stand still. so i ran it of a bottle to be sure of no restriction for 10 minutes and zero fuel came down the return line no matter what and it pulled very little diesel out of the water bottle, very strange.

Going to pull the pump and throw the old leaky one back on to see if its the new pump for sure or something else broke. Not sure what i should do with it, it looks very nice but who rebuilds them still?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Part number. When I was shopping for an IP, I was told you can go up in pn, but not down.

-Todd