The 1998 B5 Passat TDI (one of 2 stateside?)

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT Prem / (RIP) '98 Jetta 5MT [280k+mi]
Beautiful car! I wish I knew 1/4 as much as you about these. Keep updating!

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Finally got a couple more rolls of friction tape from Home Depot. The tape they have(3m) seems quite a bit different than other 3m friction tape I've seen - more like the normal tape that is from the factory but not as strong as the other stuff I've seen.

Finished wrapping and installed the new relay plate. I used the stock MK4 109 relay and relay base, no sense in changing it up

ECU installed

Cover installed

That is the first time since I have owned the car I actually bolted the cover down! Next time I go in there is to remove the old boost gauge, wire up my lift pump properly(I have a wire in the harness) then tidy up the other boost gauge lines and install a cover that doesn't have a hole in it.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta

Got the trans bolted to the engine and went to test to make sure everything releases properly and I found that I either have a blockage in the master cylinder line to the brake reservoir or I have a bad clutch master cylinder. It wouldn't extend, clutch pedal hit the floor with little pressure then it wouldn't bleed, even if I pulled vacuum on the pressure line while pumping. Fluid that did come out looked pretty dark. I'll investigate more in the morning.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
vacuum won't help them bleed much.. you need about 10psi through the master cylinder reservoir (make sure the fluid is full).. I had a heck of a time with my brother's S4 (same basic setup). Did the hydraulic system work normally before?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Yeah everything worked before. My reservior broke last time I tried to pressure bleed, spit brake fluid all over my windshield.

I just got a oil can, I'm going to try and reverse bleed it.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the reservoir broke from too much pressure, or it was getting weak anyway haha... I've never had luck reverse bleeding anything. Maybe get the rear of the car level or slightly above the front..

If it worked fine before, your master cylinder is good..

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I spent way more time on this than I care to admit. Took the master cylinder out, it would not feed anything from the reservoir side into the master regardless the pressure. I proceeded to disassemble and found that it needed to open further to bleed... so for the sake of experimentation I modified it and got it all bled out. I'm picking up a new master cylinder to swap in because the pedal now has some dead space - I haven't buttoned it up yet so I don't even know if it will disengage.

ELM

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Beetle 5 speed swap
I just did a auto to 5 speed swap in my 2002 Beetle :D and had a hard time bleeding the clutch. I started with my hand vacuum pump and pumped it down to -5 and cracked the bleeder on the clutch slave cylinder and got bubbles but no fluid.:confused: Ended up that I wasn't opening up the bleeder enough I had to open it up one full turn to bleed it and get air and fluid out of the system. I'm used to just having to crack open a bleeder screw to let air out. I learn something new every time I work on this VW. :D

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
MPLSTDI came to the rescue, picked me up(only a couple miles between him, I and the car), brought me to my house where I had a set of 3 good lines(one with a hole) and brought me back to the car and its good to go now.

I kinda want to get a couple more lines just to have on hand, its pretty bad luck to have one line develop a pinhole leak and another completely break off.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
I have seen that on trucks but never on a VW, that line must have gotten damaged at some point to weaken it. I always when I take the lines off wrap them in clean cloth to protect them then into a clean zip lock bag until they are reinstalled..... Those lines are very tough so it takes some kind of injury or abrasion to it to make it fail.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I imagine that can happen if the lines aren't loosened when the timing is adjusted since those you have to rotate the pump, more-so if the timing had to be adjusted far in either direction..

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I imagine that can happen if the lines aren't loosened when the timing is adjusted since those you have to rotate the pump, more-so if the timing had to be adjusted far in either direction..
His is an ALH style pump where the sprocket is rotated to adjust timing.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I suppose its possible it was stressed from the previous owner as this was a line I got used.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Actually, it's not just ALH style, it is an ALH 11 mm pump - same P/N, even - IIRC.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
Calculated RPM and torque

234whp, 373ft-lbs

Wasn't even hitting target boost, should be able to make 400ft-lbs :D
Almost smoke free

AHH with stock 11mm IP
PD Lift pump
Rosten H-beam rods
ASZ 18.5:1 PD pistons
R520 nozzles set to 230/340 bar
Stage 2 Colt cam
Ported head
GTB2056VL on a ported 1.6 TD manifold with adapter plate
2.5" exhaust, 2 resonators
SBC Stage 2 endurance clutch
Upgraded head bolts and main bolts
EVOMS FMIC
Custom boost piping
Custom intake.
4bar map

That should be everything.
that's a very nice power curve and something i'm going to shoot for. it must drive great on the road, what is your MPG like with this?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
EMP gauge line kept popping off and gauge was getting full of soot so it was a good time to clean it and clean everything up.

And for the hater(s), I installed my 5x.013 injectors and started tuning that in preparation for lots more air! Its roughly 50% more fuel than R520's!

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Installed a wideband gauge today because knowledge is power!
Hooked it up to my data logger and logged a bunch of stuff.

I don't think IAT is calibrated correctly yet. I just pulled a bunch of numbers from VCDS

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I've been driving my JSW a lot. Blew #3 injector line and replaced it, running big injectors, clutch is slipping, turbo control sucks(reacts way too fast), new turbo setup will go in when I have time.
New clutch will come when it comes, its slightly detuned(360ft-lbs or so) to keep it from slipping. I probably won't spend much time on this car this winter.