post fix DSG update failure - bricked cars with no solution from VW

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Sorry you're all going through this and hope you get some resolution soon. Your last statement reinforces the reason I'm waiting to do the fix until after our Thanksgiving trip.

Meg8

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
One more update. I got on the phone with the claims folks, and they said that this issue impacts cars with DSG, in various cars 2009, 2010, and some 2014 model years.

they also are elevating the request to change to buyback considering the time delay.
Sorry have been off the forum!

To corroborate with meerschm's updates: I too have been contacted by both Lief and another contracted firm out of Nashville. I was told a buyback via my customer care representative should be accommodated at this time, and it is recommended by the legal team, given that there still is no software fix available. No further timeline on a status of that fix. Of course, I can still choose to wait.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
my feedback is a bit different, the customer care team just sent e-mails, and indicate they cannot provide any info, and any change is in the hands of the emissions settlement folks.

the last message I got from them (vwexperience@vw.com) says:
[FONT=&quot]I know we have been in contact for quite a while and I greatly appreciate your patience. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]At this point, the next step in this process is to have you work with our Remediation Team. While we still do not have a tentative date for repair, they will be contacting you once a repair is available. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Rest assured, this is a top priority and I apologize for the delay. If you have any questions in the meantime, please contact 844-982-5246.

[/FONT]​
Previously they said:

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] Thank you for your reply and again I do apologize for the time you have been without your vehicle. I am sorry to hear that this has been affecting your ability to take your trips.
With regards to your question to switch to a buyback option, you would need to speak with a member of our TDI Remediation Team. They will be in the best position to speak with further about this transition. They can be reached by calling 844-98-CLAIM (844-982-5246).
[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When I call that number (which I have before), they say no buyback once the fix is started. They have no information on what the problem is, or status of the fix.

In fact, the person I talked to today said that the affected cars are late 2009 models with 2010 transmissions. (This is crapola, my car was built in august of 2008, and i told her so, leaving out the crapola part)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]That being said, the lawyer let me know that the plaintiff legal team is asking today if we can change to the buyback, given the delay.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There are actually some good deals on 2017 GSWs and Alltracks right now. not a diesel, but at least they have a roof rack.
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Meg8

TDI
just received a call from my dealership that my car is fixed and ready for pick-up. heading up there in 45 minutes.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
Buddy with a 15 DSG planned to keep it, but after doing some research and talking with the service folks, decided not to risk it and turned over the keys of his Tdi in favor of a TSi. Misses the torque, but it really didn't cost him much at all to make the swap.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
just received a call from my dealership that my car is fixed and ready for pick-up. heading up there in 45 minutes.

That is great news!

my service advisor was not sure, had not heard anything, but will check....

crossing fingers...

mpriolo

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan, DSG, CP3 HPFP
I can second that. Just got off the phone with my service rep and I am picking up my Jetta tomorrow!

Mike - hopefully you're up next.

Regards,

Marty

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Buddy with a 15 DSG planned to keep it, but after doing some research and talking with the service folks, decided not to risk it and turned over the keys of his Tdi in favor of a TSi. Misses the torque, but it really didn't cost him much at all to make the swap.
Not sure how this post is pertinent to the thread "Bricked Cars with no Solutions from VW", but I find it interesting. Not sure what model 2015 we are talking about, but if a Passat, those were very close to achieving the EPA/CARB emissions thresholds that the software tweaks were minor and most only noticed the DSG shifting sooner during acceleration - otherwise some shift improvements were noted with no effect of mileage efficiency. And the future hardware changes coming up are more capacity related without causing mileage efficiency impacts (at least not projected). What did your buddy's research tell him about 2015 DSG TDIs?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I can second that. Just got off the phone with my service rep and I am picking up my Jetta tomorrow!

Mike - hopefully you're up next.

Regards,

Marty

Thanks!

He is gone for the day, but I will get him on the phone after he gets back in at 7 AM

Meg8

TDI
Update: my car is back, safely nestled in its garage. It is louder, but everything seems fine! Time will tell . . .

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The local dealer just got notified this morning. With the amount of work they have already, including more walk-ins from the gov't workers off for Veterans Day holiday, it will be Monday or Tuesday before I can get my car back.

Meg8

TDI
Mike,

Bummer, I'm sorry to hear this.

On the bright side, you possibly get to say that they kept your car for a round 90 days/3 months! Yesterday concluded an 86-day wait for me.

mpriolo

TDI
Picked up my Jetta this morning and as others have reported the engine is a little louder, it is a little slower off the line, and it shifts at slightly highers rpms. Can't comment on the mpg's yet. Only other note is that the tires were severely flat spotted.

Service Rep mentioned that the software update wasn't the delay, it was getting approval from the EPA that took time.

Meaghan - glad you have your car back!

Mike - I am surprised they didn't bump you to the head of the line with how long you have been waiting. No excuses for the dealer. You have been more than patient!

Regards,

Marty

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Picked up my Jetta this morning and as others have reported the engine is a little louder, it is a little slower off the line, and it shifts at slightly highers rpms. Can't comment on the mpg's yet. Only other note is that the tires were severely flat spotted.

Service Rep mentioned that the software update wasn't the delay, it was getting approval from the EPA that took time.

Meaghan - glad you have your car back!

Mike - I am surprised they didn't bump you to the head of the line with how long you have been waiting. No excuses for the dealer. You have been more than patient!

Regards,

Marty
Marty,

you might want to take the car back in and tell them you want a new set of tires. it is entirely VW's fault the tires are flat-spotted.

i can wait another day to have them do it right, and check it all out.

Mike

mpriolo

TDI
Good thought. I'm going to run it for a bit and see if they get back to "round". They are better than when I left the dealership but not there yet. Also, I want to give it some time to see if any other issues come up (such as the heater core).

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mike,

Bummer, I'm sorry to hear this.

On the bright side, you possibly get to say that they kept your car for a round 90 days/3 months! Yesterday concluded an 86-day wait for me.
that is a dubious honor

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not so fast.

got the call this morning. two of four cars at the dealer where my car sits were able to take the updated fix.

my car, and one more, not so much.

***?

my patience is wearing thin.

Howie09tdi

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI(buyback gone) 2015 BEETLE TDI
just got off the phone with dealer told me software isn't available for my car yet either 09tdi 08/08 build date

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Good thought. I'm going to run it for a bit and see if they get back to "round". They are better than when I left the dealership but not there yet. Also, I want to give it some time to see if any other issues come up (such as the heater core).
What dealer are you dealing with?

newbury

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
Picked up my Jetta this morning <snip>

<snip>
Marty
So the following two posters need different EPA approval?

Not so fast.
got the call this morning. two of four cars at the dealer where my car sits were able to take the updated fix.
my car, and one more, not so much.
***?
my patience is wearing thin.
just got off the phone with dealer told me software isn't available for my car yet either 09tdi 08/08 build date
I'm still on the fence about taking mine in.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The problem is not approval, it is competency (or lack thereof) of VW to be able to program their own transmissions.

if they needed to prepare two (or 42) different versions of software to update the fleet of affected cars, it should have been well within their feeble understanding of their own products. they should have known a year ago when they were preparing responses that met the agreement they signed up to.

and I totally agree that if you have a 2009 with DSG, you should wait until this is resolved. (unless you can get assurances from the dealer that they will first try the DSG update, and if it does not work, return the car to existing software and give you the car back while they figure this out)

Meg8

TDI
I can't believe this! Mike, sorry to hear this. I was excited for you, thinking you'd be picking yours up today.

Did you get any sort of timeline or update from your dealer for your remaining cars, or have you heard anything further from the lawyers?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks, Meg.

the dealer does not know where to stand in line for tickets to the clue bus.

He thinks they (VW) are working hard on this.

(not the dealer service department fault.... they are at the end of the line and have to use the tools provided by VW)

I know the dealer is frustrated too. out loaners for too long, cars taking space in the service lot within pushing distance of the garage. angry customers....

I sent an e-mail to the lawyer, but have not heard back.

I was looking forward to picking up the car, stowing the car top tent where it belongs for the winter, and cleaning up the car for ski season.

Last edited:

mpriolo

TDI
Can't believe this is happening again. I thought last week we had this finally behind all of us. You would think that after it first happened, VW would have checked all the early builds for transmission variations before proceeding with the updated software. Guess not.

I only hope that they can quickly remedy the situation (either VW or the lawyers).

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
and I totally agree that if you have a 2009 with DSG, you should wait until this is resolved. (unless you can get assurances from the dealer that they will first try the DSG update, and if it does not work, return the car to existing software and give you the car back while they figure this out)

Either that or jump on it now and take the loaner car on a safari adventure al a Top Gear style!!!

While some people have been put out by not having their exact cars, they still have a ride that's free miles of wear and tear not being placed on their car

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
AutoServe in Tilton - I'm from the Concord area and have my choice between them and Quirk in Manchester. Tilton is an easier drive, though a bit further.
I did my loyalty rewards at AutoServe, not a bad dealership, I should have looked there vs buying at Quirk for the Alltrack and the '15 Passat, next time.