single mass flywheel conversion?

Dustinicus

TDI
none yet
I read a lot about people switching to the single mass, but havent been able to pin down the clutch. could I use the DMF pressure plate on the SMF? Or does this require the use of an entirely different clutch and pressure plate?
I ask because the conversion I am doing allows me to use the stock flywheel and pressure plate, but I have been reading that the SMF is a far superior unit, and the center appears to have clearance so i am not limited by the clutch I can use.
Thank you
Dustin

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
What transmission are you using?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
“None yet” should be ok with any clutch or combination.

It would be good to know what car and year you are talking about.

Dustinicus

TDI
none yet
The engine is from an 06 jetta BRM with a 5 speed. I got the engine for a 4wd project. It's going into a 96 dodge neon, on a shortened 91 f150 frame, with an 80's jeep t176 transmission. I took the 5 speed apart, saved the bellhousing section and cut the differential part off of it, and I'm working on making a spacer/adapter between the transmission and bellhousing (it needs a spacer for proper input shaft engagement)

So the clutch needs to be 10 spline but the diameter has to be closer to 8.5" to fit the flywheel and pressure plate.

I was wondering if I could use the pressure plate I have with the dual mass flywheel, or would I need a different one with a single mass flywheel.
I hope that helped to clear things up a bit.
Dustin

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
The engine is from an 06 jetta BRM with a 5 speed. I got the engine for a 4wd project. It's going into a 96 dodge neon, on a shortened 91 f150 frame, with an 80's jeep t176 transmission. I took the 5 speed apart, saved the bellhousing section and cut the differential part off of it, and I'm working on making a spacer/adapter between the transmission and bellhousing (it needs a spacer for proper input shaft engagement)

So the clutch needs to be 10 spline but the diameter has to be closer to 8.5" to fit the flywheel and pressure plate.

I was wondering if I could use the pressure plate I have with the dual mass flywheel, or would I need a different one with a single mass flywheel.
I hope that helped to clear things up a bit.
Dustin

You are in relatively uncharted territory, good luck

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
In my conversion project, I went in the opposite direction. I decided that the DMF would be better for the transmission (02 ALH engine in an 84 Vanagon). The DMF is smooth and quiet as well as provides a good shift.

I agree that you are in uncharted territory.

I sold my only SMF, otherwise I'd do some comparison for you.

Dustinicus

TDI
none yet
I kind of figured I would be relatively alone in this, but I appreciate your input either way
Dustin

EDIT: I jsut wanted to add that part of the reason for my question is because I read that the SMF is 228mm. If that is the friction surface, and searches for a stock replacement are correct, then I could in fact use a 9" clutch disk, and that would greatly increase the clutches I have available to me.
thanks again

Last edited: