A3 TDI 2012 - First milage

BQuebec

TDI
Audi A3 TDI Progressiv 2012
Hello,

I have just taken possession of my all new Audi A3 TDI 2012 Progressiv (canadian edition) with six-speed DSG transmission S-Tronic (twin clutch).

Motor : I-4 DOHC 2.0 16V Clean Diesel Engine with TDI Direct Injection Common Rail.

Although the car is new (350 km or 217 miles), I find that fuel consumption is high. On average, mostly on highway, I am currently at 7.5 l/100 km (or 31.36 mpg). While I drive at 130 km / h (80MPH), but my drive style is soft (break-in period, I never exceed 3000 rpm for the first 1000 miles (1600km).

Do I have to worry, or is it normal? How much consumption will drop after the break-in period?

Thank you for your help.

B Quebec

F8L

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Prius Three w/Solar Roof
If you slow down your mpg will go up substantially. Wind drag goes up by the cube of speed so driving faster than 60mph can really kill mpg and it gets worse the faster you go.

I realize this is not a Prius site but the graph is similar to what you would expect from any car. Look at how the mpg drops as speed rises. I've observed the exact same numbers in my car.

Last edited:

F8L

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry I meant square of speed. Cubed is power I believe.

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
Technically aero drag is cubed, but because MPG is based on miles travelled, and you travel longer as your speed goes up, that's why it's squared in practical terms when you are looking at MPG.

A good illustration is "The MPG impact of aero drag is double at 85mph than 60"

Last edited:

JettaTDiPA

Veteran Member
TDI
Owned 2011 JSW DSG for 16mo.
Hello,

I have just taken possession of my all new Audi A3 TDI 2012 Progressiv (canadian edition) with six-speed DSG transmission S-Tronic (twin clutch).

Motor : I-4 DOHC 2.0 16V Clean Diesel Engine with TDI Direct Injection Common Rail.

Although the car is new (350 km or 217 miles), I find that fuel consumption is high. On average, mostly on highway, I am currently at 7.5 l/100 km (or 31.36 mpg). While I drive at 130 km / h (80MPH), but my drive style is soft (break-in period, I never exceed 3000 rpm for the first 1000 miles (1600km).

Do I have to worry, or is it normal? How much consumption will drop after the break-in period?

Thank you for your help.

B Quebec
I have 2011 TDI my first three tanks were very low (23-29mpg)- after that it started climbing and still is - with 3700 miles I am approaching 36-39mps (mixed driving) I would say don't worry.
How do you like the A3? I am seriously thinking about buying one in the next few weeks.

cardinarky

Veteran Member
TDI
NB 99 White
I have driven a 99NB TDI for 10 years now. The graph showing the % MPG drop between 60 and 70 MPH is pretty accurate.
For my 2010 JSW TDI I would say I do a little better because of the overall vehicle shape. What really KILLS my JSW is the air conditioner. It drops fuel economy about 20%-25% in the summer in Arkansas. Where I am now achieving in excess of 40MPG, in the summer I was in the 30mpg to 32mpg region.

c2turbo91

TDI
2002 jetta tdi
I have a 2012 passat tdi. I am worried about my mileage as well. All highway I am getting at most 525 miles to my larger 18.5 gallon tank. It is NOT what I thought it would be. I have 2200 miles on mine. I hope it picks up or I will be getting rid of it lol

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
Run it in first, before you worry about the mileage.

F8L

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a 2012 passat tdi. I am worried about my mileage as well. All highway I am getting at most 525 miles to my larger 18.5 gallon tank. It is NOT what I thought it would be. I have 2200 miles on mine. I hope it picks up or I will be getting rid of it lol
Are you driving fast, under boost a lot, and using the AC at high demand? That could account for your "poor" mileage. That usually seems to be the case with my hybrid owner friends, well except the boost part. lol If I were to drive aggressively at 80-85mph my MPG drops way down from 52-55mpg to 42mpg (300+ mile trips). I know this is not apples to apples but the speed and aggressive penalties apply just the same. :)

I'd say just hang in there and practice different routes and driving techniques.

F8L

Veteran Member
TDI
Technically aero drag is cubed, but because MPG is based on miles travelled, and you travel longer as your speed goes up, that's why it's squared in practical terms when you are looking at MPG.

A good illustration is "The MPG impact of aero drag is double at 85mph than 60"
Thanks, Mike!

palewhitemale

TDI
A3
my 2012 a3 TDI jumped by a little over 5mpg on the highway immediately following my 5k service.

I just did NYC > St Louis and back, and averaged 41 instead of the <35 that I was getting before.

-bill

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I definitely agree with the speed factor. I find that reducing highway speed raises mpg dramatically. Even when I went from my 2010 sedan to my 2012 Passat the effect has been the same.

Vin63

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3
It appears that your mileage is right in line with what my mileage for my 2011 was when it was new. As I put more miles on my engine, my fuel mileage has steadily increased. You can track it here: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/vin63/a3

As the others mentioned, if you slow down a bit, you'll see better fuel economy. I seem to get the best MPG right around 65 mph on the freeway.