In a pickle

Slugbugblue

TDI
2001 VW New Beetle TDI
I just bought a 2001 VW new beetle on sunday (mother's day). It's registered till tomorrow the 14th. I have begun a transfer title and insured the car, today I went to get it smogged and it didn't pass because OBD bulb check with service fault codes P0722 & P1557. My smog guy told me I should take it back to the seller because it shouldn't have been sold like it is and to have seller fix it or get my money back if not take him to court. I called the seller (from Craigslist) and he told me due to covid19 he's not working and used the money to pays bills but had a mechanic friend that might fix it for cheap. Is it worth the hassle going through the seller or do these OBDII problems easy and cheap enough to repair to pass smog and get registered.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
One code is overboost: this could have a variety of causes most of them minor. The P0722 googles as a code with a transmission speed sensor. Not sure if that's correct, but if it is, again, not a huge deal.

If you don't want to continue to chase these issues (and the burned out light), then take it to Matt at Auto Haus II in San Anselmo. Better to make a bit of an effort and get it fixed right the first time.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
So the bulb, does the CEL not come on when you turn it on, before starting?You might ask him if he removed it.

But you're likely better off just fixing it, you may need VCDS to reset codes after repair (they could even be old codes). Doesn't sound like a lot.