CEL, Flashing Glow Plug Light and Limp Mode

DontGoGently

TDI
2010 GOLF
Hi Guys,

Long time lurker but first time poster from Australia here.

I recently purchased my little brother (a TDI Fanatic) a 2010 VW TDI 2.0 Turbo Diesel with about 160,000 miles on the clock.

Everything was fine but 48 hours after purchasing the car has gone into Limp Mode with the Check Engine Light and flashing Glow Plug Light appearing on the dashboard.

I purchased the car 3 days ago and it was running smoothly and just had the ABS replaced and a full servicing done (paperwork provided). Has my little brother done something wrong? He said he barely drove the car and it just went Limp all of a sudden.

I’m in Australia so not sure if the reasons would be different to you guys in North America.

Because the car isn’t under warranty anymore and I’m nowhere near a VW Dealership I will most likely take it to my local mechanic on the weekend.

Apologies in advance if I’ve posted this in the wrong location.

Kind Regards,
Milan.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Your car is telling you that it has an owie... and it even knows where the owie is... you just need to get the car scanned with a VW-specific scanner so that it can tell you exactly where.

Otherwise it's all just an internet guess... there are 50+ things it could be. :)

DontGoGently

TDI
2010 GOLF
Hey Vince,

Thanks for the reply my man.

I’m hoping it isn’t anything too severe as I’m low on funds atm.

Any reason as to what triggered it?

It’s weird because the car drives as normal it just doesn’t accelerate quickly.

Do you think if he keeps driving it there will be further damage?

AppreciTe your response I’ll post back with an update in a few days.

Regards,
Milan

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You really should think about purchasing a VCDS tool. You aren't anywhere near a VW dealership and you won't know what the car is complaining of without one. That relegates you to just guessing and replacing parts in the hopes you get it fixed. this can be costly and waste lots of time doing things that aren't needed and can be expensive. Make sure the mechanic you choose is familiar with these cars in particular.

https://www.ross-tech.com/index.html

Australian Distributors are:

Harding Performance
1 / 56 CAMBRIDGE ST
COORPAROO, QLD 4151
Australia
Int'l: +61 7 3394 1200
Local: 1300 730 949
Fax: +61 7 3847 4394
https://hp.net.au/home/

Mount AutoEquip Pty Ltd
U13, 122-126 Old Pittwater Road
Brookvale NSW 2100
Australia
Tel +61 2 9905 8055
Fax +61 2 9905 8022
https://www.autoequipment.com.au/

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
@DontGoGently

When I was on the test drive to purchase my car this exact same thing happened. When I returned I showed the dealership. They had just completed the emissions fix.

What it seemed is the computer could not read boost levels and instead of allowing the car to possibly overboost, the computer kicks the code, opens up the wastegate (so no boost) and protects the engine.

I think with mine they told me there was some hose that had come disconnected or kinked during the emissions fix. They had it corrected in minutes and I still bought the car. Haven't seen the issue since.

If someone was doing maintenance on the car, my guess is they knocked something loose and didn't realize it.

Spend some time under the car inspecting all of your vacuum/boost lines and electrical connections. The computer can't read something that has come disconnected. remember to remove the negative battery cable to reset the computer when you are inspecting. that way when you find it, fix it, reconnect the battery and go test.

Good luck.