Power Steering System

JohnWilder

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5 spd manual
I just want to vent about VW. I've a 2003 Jetta TDI. I've heard a noise in the engine that seemed to coordinate with steering. It was noticeable at idle and then disappeared at speed. I assumed it was a quirk with the power steering system. Well, it got louder. That prompted a serious investigation. I discovered the PS fluid level was low, below the min mark. I topped it up and it is dead quiet. Everything is fine. I see no indication of any leaks anywhere.
Now my gripe. The owner's manual does not address the PS system at all other than to say not to hold the steering wheel over on the stops. It does not show where the reservoir is located. It does not spec the fluid. Nothing!!! This is a system that needs to be checked now and then and VW will not says a word about it. Inexcusable!
My vent. Thank you.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Well... You've vented. VW has disclaimed. The owner's manual is all but useless. And you still drive a VW. Either we're not too smart as a group or VW makes a good enough car for us to ignore those small irritations.;)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The owners manuals leave a lot to be desired.

glassman

TDI
1996 b4 tdi wagon, 1997 glx/tdi wagon
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but what you should tell him is where the power steering reservoir is. (I don't know either--where is it, please?)

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I don't see the problem. I'm pretty sure the PS system's type of fluid is shown in the owners manual as well as how to check it.
I find it hard to believe that the owners manual does not tell you how to check the PS reservoir. You need to read the manual some more. Of course, VW owners manuals can be kinda lame, so anything is possible.

I find it unbelievable that someone would not check the level in their PS reservoir at least at every oil change. The Min and Max levels are very clearly marked on the side of the reservoir. Not VW's fault if you don't have a clue when taking on the responsibility of doing your own maintenance.

Something that kills me about folks recommending people can do their own maintenance because it's just so easy. Well with some folks, they have no business under the hood.

For those that don't know, PS level is checked with the engine idling and should indicate a level between MIN and MAX. If the level is low, you top off to the MAX mark with the correctly specified fluid.

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
If the level is low, you top off to the MAX mark with the correctly specified fluid.
For those who didn't receive an owner's manual, the correctly specified fluid is generally Pentosin CHF 11S or Pentosin CHF 202.
http://www.idparts.com/power-steering-fluid-pentosin-chf-202-p-1160.html

Contrary to some threads that say that you can only find this special fluid at your MB/VW/Audi dealer, roughly 25% of my local Advance Auto Parts store locations stock CHF 11S (behind the counter, must ask for it). It must be made from the juice of ground up $10 bills, because it's green and expensive...

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW
For those that don't know, PS level is checked with the engine idling and should indicate a level between MIN and MAX. If the level is low, you top off to the MAX mark with the correctly specified fluid.
Does it not matter whether or not the engine/fluid is hot or cold? I was thinking it did

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

JohnWilder

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5 spd manual
I've topped up the PS to full after about a year. I've no idea where the fluid goes. I cannot find a damp place anywhere yet it disappears over time. Beats me.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Good point. some dipsticks do have a hot or cold indication on the level indication. If your car does not have a hot or cold range, I would assume that the MAX mark would apply when the engine is at operating temperature.

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW
I've topped up the PS to full after about a year. I've no idea where the fluid goes. I cannot find a damp place anywhere yet it disappears over time. Beats me.
Sounds like the leak is on the low pressure side somewhere. If it was the high pressure, it would squirt everywhere and be easily noticeable

I haven't had to deal with any PS issues (knock on wood) so I don't really have any good suggestions on where to start looking. I would clean every hose and every connection. Then see where it gets damp.

The PS system is a closed system so it shouldn't ever need fluid added, much like the brake system. Notice I said shouldn't....

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW
Good point. some dipsticks do have a hot or cold indication on the level indication. If your car does not have a hot or cold range, I would assume that the MAX mark would apply when the engine is at operating temperature.
That's what I was thinking too. I can't remember off of the top of my head if mine(05 BEW) says hot or cold on it

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
That's what I was thinking too. I can't remember off of the top of my head if mine(05 BEW) says hot or cold on it
IIRC if my MK3 or MK4 had a hot or cold range. My recollection is they didn't. So ya, if the level never goes above MAX when the engine is warm and never goes below MIN when the engine is cold, you are good. Same way with the coolant in the coolant reservoir.

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
The instructions in the Bentley manual for the MK4 state:

Cold: wheels straight ahead, engine off, fluid should be +/- 2mm of the MIN mark

Hot: wheels straight ahead, fluid should be between MIN and MAX

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
This rant reminds me of the owner's manual for an old BMW I had years ago. It was a European spec 1985 BMW 323i (E30) and the manual was excellent.

The manual was so comprehensive that it even suggested what to eat before a long drive, and various exercises to do during the recommended breaks from driving. Yogurt and granola is the recommended food for BMW drivers, by the way.

Man, that was one awesome car. It caused much confusion amongst North American BMW owners of similar vintage. It looked like like the same car, but it handled better, would out accelerate them, and stop quicker. Also got better fuel economy, had a smaller engine, and less power, but was faster. It had no emissions controls to speak of, and the car weighed 600 lbs less than the North American tank that it resembled. The lower weight accounted for its superior performance.