fuel filler area Question

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 TouaregTDI, '15 JettaTDI
I have 2 fuel questions on my new to me '15. I apologize if this has already been answered but I don't see it.

-Can the overflow block below the filler neck be removed to allow fuel that spills out of the neck to drain out? On other TDIs, that area was not blocked and would drain over the tire but in looking and feeling under the wheel well, I don't see where it would drain?

-also can the fuel guard inside the filler neck be removed to allow a diesel pump nozzle with a spring to fit? If so, how do you remove the guard?

Thanks!!

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 TouaregTDI, '15 JettaTDI
Thanks. Straight out light tugging and a slight turning on outer edge of the inner bottom rim of the insert with needle nose plyers popped it 3/4 of the way out, and I just pulled the rest of the way out and surrounding insert plastic accommodated. Was concerned about the side clips but they didn't seem to have been snapped into anything.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
be careful about removing that...if you have a hpfp issue could void any warranty

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Looked at the YouTube clip but can't figure out what kind of tool was used.

Will try what csTDI suggests, but instead I'll use a long nose vice grip.

As for possible future hpfp issues, don't throw the removed part away.
Save it with the spare tire so it's with you anytime.

I bought one of those little plastic adapters from VW but they are a PIA when I fill up in Mexico since their Diesel pumps only have the large fill handle.

Dieseline

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 TDI - sold at 350k,2009 TDI -sold back to VW 9/29/17 225k, 2015 TDI SE
The tool used in the video is a cotter pin removal tool. Could also be a short radiator hose tool, as they are nearly identical. Good idea on storing it with the spare, you never know where you might be if there's a fault with the fuel delivery system.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
After trying several things I couldn't get the D A M N thing out.

I was in a Dollar store yesterday and they were selling a package of 2 paint can and bottle openers combination. About 3/16 metal rod. Bent the end to a 90deg angle and got the thing out in 1 minute.

Can still use the bottle opener but the can opener part is euchred.