Trade '02 Subaru Outback for Jetta Wagon TDI?

kookmyers

Trade \'02 Subaru Outback for Jetta Wagon TDI?

Hello All. Would it be unreasonable to want to trade an 02 outback wagon (16k miles) for a jetta wagon TDI manual? anyone interested. i am looking for an 02 or 03 in perfect condition. i realize $ would have to be involved...

jkeller

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Tornado Red

I traded in my old Legacy for a TDI Wagon about a year ago. I won't comment on the wisdom of trading in an almost new car, but as far as going from a Subaru to a TDI:

1) The TDI is smaller inside - not much, but noticable.
2) I really miss the AWD in the winter, my car sucks in the snow compared to my old Subie
3) The clearance in much, much lower. I have to go real slow over the slightest bump in/out of driveways, etc.
4) Chances are it won't be as reliable. I haven't had any problems with manufacturer's defects (yet?) but in general Japanese cars are more reliable.

On the plus side, the mpg is great and it is actually fun to drive. I drove my Dad's Outback the other day and it "felt" really cheap.

- John

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons

I agree. We have a 2002 and a 2004 Outback Wagon and are considering a TDI Jetta Wagon. We will be keeping the 2004 Outback and selling the 2002 Outback (20k).

The Outback- is totally awesome in the snow, mileage is OK (20-23)and it is firm and comfortable and can pull a 3 rail motorcycle trailer. The Outback is a bit roomier as compared to the Jetta Wagon and probably more reliable in the long-term. It is also a cheaper car to buy, especially right now with all of the Subaru incentives.

Jetta TDI Wagon--Smaller, no ability to really tow.
A real blast to drive! It is a driver's car. Handles well, better brakes and suspension, tons or torque. Awesome fuel mileage.

You can not have it all in a car, that is why we have decided to have one of each.