ISO special tool for fuel injection pump in Los Angeles. '03 MK4 TDI

jesiah

TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Hey all! FIrst time posting here, but been driving VW diesels for many years now!

I'm in search of the " special tool ", proprietary socket to remove the do not tamper bolt on the fuel injection pump of my 2003 MK4 ALH Jetta TDI. It's part # 0986612605 aka 7mm triangle socket aka ?

Any chance there's someone in the LA area that has one to loan or sell?

I'm visiting my parents outside LA, in Fullerton / Anaheim, so without myvusual resources, and therefore don't think I can grind a 7mm hex to fit... and need to leave by this weekend to get back to work (Portland). Haven't found a place online that can overnight the tool.
The shop that has the seals (RPM) didn't know about getting the special tool besides ordering online.

[The pump is leaking, and before dropping $1.5-2.5k for a mechanic to put in a new/rebuilt one, this seems like a very doable $20 fix (+ Vagcom), according to some great resources I've found in this forum!... if I can find this dang socket.]

Thanks for any help!

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
Cut a slot in the bolt and use a flat screwdriver. Make sure to mark the lower section (QA) relative to the pump body very well otherwise you'll have a terrible time getting the car running again. If it's just the top seal that's leaking you don't need VCDS.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I've got a modded 6 point you're welcome to but I'm in Sunland. Maybe 45 minutes away with no traffic.

Another option is to bang a cheapo 12 point onto the bolt then replace with a standard socket head.

jesiah

TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
I've got a modded 6 point you're welcome to but I'm in Sunland. Maybe 45 minutes away with no traffic.

Another option is to bang a cheapo 12 point onto the bolt then replace with a standard socket head.
That's seems doable for me, later today. I'll PM you.
Thanks!

jesiah

TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon

jesiah

TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
UPDATE:

Success!
Thanks to KLXD for the tool and the various people who've posted how-tos on doing this job.

Took a full day to slowly follow the instructions, pissed off my parent's landlord, but after priming the pump in the morning, it started up and ran smooth. Then drove 1,100 miles from LA to Portland without a hitch (literally). VAG-COM shows the IQ is staying steady at 3.0-3.2 after my initial adjustments.

SO.. if anyone in the Portland area wants to try and save a couple thousand bucks, hit me up! I can either loan you the bit, or I'd be happy to do the seal job, for a better price than any local mechanic (if you can even find one that will do it).

Thanks again, everyone for your input, offers, and help.