MN Chat Thread

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
It won't start. It turns over just fine. No smoke. All of the lights are on that need to be on. Maybe I'll move this over to the no start forum.

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Well, I got it started. 1st it looked like there was excessive air in the clear fuel line at the pump so I cracked loose the fittings at the injectors and got some bubbles to come out. It still wouldn't start ough. I took the intake boot off that attaches to the race pipe and it started right up. I removed the in and out pipes on turbo compressor no FOD, no signs of damage. Definately oil in the intercooler. Compressor wheel seems to move freely. There was some smoke at start up and light haze while running with no intake tubes connected to the turbo. The turbo has been whining at start up for a long time. I did just change the oil and oil cooler seals and have lost about 3/4 of a quart of oil after only using the car for 2 very short trips. But could not see a leak any where. The good news is that think that turbo seals are bad and it's time for a new (upgraded) turbo.

Unfortunately I was not the person driving the car when it stopped running.

My wife said she stopped at a stop sign and the car died and then would not start. Could a bad turbo stop the car like that?

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I'm about 10mi north of the cities, where are you?

Air filter/snow screen plugged? A vacuum drawn on the compressor seal can easily draw oil out.

Pretty normal to have blue/white smoke on startup when cold, or especially after a hard start. You'll have fuel cooking off the pistons and possibly even half the exhaust.

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
snow screening good. I got the turbo out. Now that it is on the bench I've found that the shaft had a bit more play in it than I thought. Do you think .015-.020 of play is enough to stop or bind the wheel? LoL. I did see some slight score Marks on compressor side inlet. It could make some sense now that when I took pipe off at the intake manifold it started up.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
even with turbo locked it should start and idle

.020" radial is certainly getting there, and sure might be making for some oil getting past and interesting noises
engine should still start and run though
condensation in lower IC pipe frozen?

diag really isn't something that can be done over the internets

give you a thousand bucks for it ;P

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
even with turbo locked it should start and idle

.020" radial is certainly getting there, and sure might be making for some oil getting past and interesting noises
engine should still start and run though
condensation in lower IC pipe frozen?

diag really isn't something that can be done over the internets

give you a thousand bucks for it ;P
I've had a car not start due to a wheel which was stuck.

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Well, I may be dealing with a no fuel issue. Origionally When I would turn the engine over I would'nt hear a single pop almost like there was no fuel. Then When I got the car started it started like normal. Thinking back now, there wasn't A Lot of extra smoke.

I did see a large bubble in the clear tube at the IP. Before I got it started I cracked the injection lines at the injectors and turned over the engine several times. I did see some bubbles come out. I did until I saw no bubbles. It still didn't start though , until I pulled the intake pipe.

I,m going to get my injectors cleaned and checked and get some upgraded nozzles(pp520 to DLC1019). Also, going to replace my IP seals cause they've been slowly weeping fuel for a long time. I think I may replace the shut off valve.

Another interesting note: once I got it started I only let it idle I did not try to rev it up at all. We will see what happens when i get back together. I'm going do things one at time to see if one thing or the other was the issue. I don't want do a bunch of things and not know which one of them did or did not fix the issue. It's still possible it is none of them though.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
so your turbo's worn completely out and you get bigger nozzles?
I guess.
I've had a car not start due to a wheel which was stuck.
I guess I've forgotten how lean they run the cranking fuel maps on one of these as stock. Most other motors'll start and idle with some smoke.

Last edited:

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
If sensing your sarcasm, I think you’re right. Ive been waiting for a long time for my turbo to go because my wife won’t let me get a bigger one. So I can sneak in the vnt17. I’m going install the turbo do pump seals, shut valve and filter first. This could just be a clogged fuel filter because I haven’t changed in a long time. I’m going to get the fuel issue taken care of 1st then do as I’m telling my wife injector maintinace. The car done good I think. 240k on stock turbo and injectors. Pp520s and rc2 for about 140k. So after I sort the issues out I’ll be putting in nozzles, rc3,4? And 3 bar map.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I think pulling the intake hose was just a fluke. Your pump leaking fuel is a dead give away. Do the seals and replace the filter and go from there. FYI - when you crack the injectors, when the IP and injectors are bled will give a healthy spurt of fuel which should shoot up 6-12". Bubbles = air not out of the system.

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Thank for the tip geeked. yesterday I ordered the turbo, filter&tstat and pump seal kit with cut off valve. I'll get turbo installed and to after the pump next. Even if that fixes it I'll have to tell my wife it not quite done though, otherwise I won't be able to get the injectors remand with a nozzle upgrade and a new tune.

TDI
Mk2 ALH Swapped
The old nozzles are PP520's? If you're getting rid of them, let me know. I have an extra stock set if you need something to send in as well.

I do think that you have an air in fuel issue rather than a turbo one, but a 17 isn't a bad thing to upgrade to.

brokaw101

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Manual tran 234k
Does anyone know Greengeekers phone number or shop name? Currently stuck in a parking lot with an 02 Jetta TDI that won’t start

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Does anyone know Greengeekers phone number or shop name? Currently stuck in a parking lot with an 02 Jetta TDI that won’t start
Hopefully you got in contact with him (or got some other help). Any resolution, or do you need any other help?

If I had seen this sooner I might have tried to get in contact with him. I have his number but wouldn't want to just broadcast it since he is a busy guy with a family and a full time job.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Hopefully you got in contact with him (or got some other help). Any resolution, or do you need any other help?
If I had seen this sooner I might have tried to get in contact with him. I have his number but wouldn't want to just broadcast it since he is a busy guy with a family and a full time job.
I'm pretty sure I saw this Jetta on his driveway over the weekend :)

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
I've been eyeing up Canyons and Colorados (crew-cab) with the VM 2.8 Diesel for a while, I made the mistake of test driving one the other day. Now I really want one.

Don't worry JFettig I won't try to have you bail me out during a timing belt like the Liberty! :)

Am I crazy for considering this? my Jetta has been such a great car (owned since new) and we all know they aren't making anymore. Anyone wrench on one of these yet?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I've been eyeing up Canyons and Colorados (crew-cab) with the VM 2.8 Diesel for a while, I made the mistake of test driving one the other day. Now I really want one.

Don't worry JFettig I won't try to have you bail me out during a timing belt like the Liberty! :)

Am I crazy for considering this? my Jetta has been such a great car (owned since new) and we all know they aren't making anymore. Anyone wrench on one of these yet?
Don't worry, I don't live anywhere near you anymore ;)

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Thank you to those not broadcasting my number. I really appreciate it.

FWIW - customers of mine get my personal number and can contact me with questions. For those not yet customers you can do the same via PM or my email listed in my profile. :)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
somebody just snapped up a green auto wagon from under me a month or two ago

seller was kind of a boob, left his address in the ad, then would only reply to emails once a day with no direct answer to stuff like "when can we meet up? I've knocked on your door twice now." being replied to with only "Where'd you get my address?"
Had the thousand cash in hand, he sold it to someone that needed a few days to get the money together before I could actually get him to answer the door. :\

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
So, I replaced the IP seals and my beast won't start. Side note... The bad turbo has also been replaced. Ive bled this system a about 20 times. I'm still looking at a fueling issue. When I bleed the injector line the fuel comes out but it never sprays in a stream out of the injector. I removed an injector from the head to watched the spray pattern....... Fuel never sprays out the line. Only floods out. Do I have a bad pump? I think tomorrow I will check the rest of the
Injectors outside of the head to see if they spray. Is it normal for a injection pump
to last 225k?

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Do I have a bad pump? I think tomorrow I will check the rest of the injectors outside of the head to see if they spray. Is it normal for an injection pump to last 225k?
I don't think there is a "normal" life for an IP. Some fail early, while others like the one in my red Golf just seem to last forever. I bought a spare from a Club member in Columbia Heights about five years ago, thinking I would soon need it. But no, my original still works just fine, so I actually have a spare that I'm not using.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
when mine was opening the DVs but not the injectors it was that I'd installed the 3-flatted plunger endcap with a hammer and chisel, it didn't seal quite well enough to make enough pressure to actually open the injectors

carefully combobulated a copper washer in there and it worked again until I could get the new part in.

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Before I replaced the seals I did get the fuel to spray out of the lines. Currently no spray out of the injectors tip. If i let the pump head come out too far when replacing the seal and the shim dropped out of place would this make it so the pump would not build enough pressure to spray out of the injectors?

If the shim dropped out and I cranked the engine over a lot would this damage the pump?

Tomorrow after I shovel all this damn snow I'll open up the top of the pump and look to see if anything looks amiss.

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
486 are you saying the shim dropped out and you were able to get one back in while the pump was still on the car?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
486 are you saying the shim dropped out and you were able to get one back in while the pump was still on the car?
no, the end cap with three flats, not internal pump parts

If it did fall out it'd likely slide around in the spring cavity, not much for it to get hung up on on that side of the camplate, the advance mechanism port is on the other side of the camplate.

If you do see it in the bottom there it's pretty easy to get it back, just gotta pull the pump and take the head loose with it held vertical, stack the bits back in and then tighten the four bolts. T-belt tensioner can be done with a 90 degree nose snap ring pliers, and cam timing will be unchanged as you are using the same belt again, so no need to do anything but mark the belt and pulley at both the IP and camshaft.
You do have to retime the IP, but you can not hurt the engine adjusting that, just bump it forward and backward a tiny bit at a time until it stops setting codes if you only have a cheap code scanner. Easier with a vag-com, but not necessary.

ETA: you might be able to get it all schlepped back in there with the pump body on the car by using brake clean to get its pocket in the plunger dry-clean and using some sticky grease to hold it while trying to stick the plunger, head, and return springs all back in there, but that's a very fiddly job with very high chances of dropping parts where they'll never be found (between the accy bracket and block)

Last edited:

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
I got car started. I think I t was the QA. On Friday I tried to hammer mod it back to my marks but it wouldn't move. Today I loosened the four bolts a lot more and it moved easily. I did notice that it was way over to the passenger side of the car. I tapped it all the way over to the driver side and it started on the first try. I'm going to try some test drives once the streets are clear of all this snow. Good news is that I don't see any leaks from the pump.

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
I jacked up my car recently and had one of the rear springs fall out of its perch and when I set it down the rear spring snapped 2 of the coils off. Do any of you have a MK4 rear spring I could buy off you? Or know of a junk yard or similar that would be a good place to look? My suspension is stock but need a temporary fix.