A4 radiator fan removal and replacement

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
okay, this is my first tutorial, so bear with me.

This is to replace or repair a radiator fan that is not working. it is easy to test this. put the key in the ignition and turn it to the on position, the car itself does not have to be running. push the A/c button and turn the blower fan on 1. now open the hood and both the fans should be spinning in unison. read more about the subject and possible causes here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=242699&highlight=radiator+fan

and here is the fan repair PDF: http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/517/Fan_Repair.pdf

the car this is being performed on is a 2002 golf tdi. the process is defintitely the same for all ALH golfs and jettas, and might also apply to the PD jetta/golf and all NBs, im not sure about those.

the process is pretty much the same. the passenger side fan comes out the bottom and the drivers side can slide out the top. this tutorial demonstrates the drivers side fan being removed.

tools:
T-27 Torx
10mm socket
ratchet and various extensions

First, put the car up on jack stand and remove the engine cover and belly pan. dont forget to unhook the vacuum line from the engine cover before pulling it if you own a jetta or golf! now remove the battery cover. it may also be wise to remove the battery if you have big hands. my small hands plus a bit of patience and i was able to get the the torx by the battery.

belly pan off, engine cover waiting for removal

heres a picture of the things your trying to get to.

go underneath. bring your T-27 Torx you will see one of the torx bolts and the plug for the fan.

you may have to pull the fan wire out of the housing to see and get to the bottom torx.

heres what kind of plug it is. it comes off if you pull hard enough, but i suggest doing it the right way.

undo the top 2 torx and the fans ready to come out.

heres the path out. you may need to bend and push some hoses out of the way, but it will come out.

now the fan only comes into 2 pieces. undoing the 3 10mm nuts on the back of the housing allows it to come off for removal/ installation of your new fan, or just to fix the old one.

reinstallation is the same thing backwards. the 3 pronged housing IS directional in how it fits over the motor. theres a notch where the wires go through. start to finish for this was 30 minutes. it was my 3rd time.

be careful when supporting the car. if you break anything its not my fault. use common sense and dont force anything

Last edited:

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
here are some macros of the motor housing and the backing plate and how the tabs are bent. the pictures in the fan repair PDF are kinda blurry.

and heres the notch that the housing has to be orientated to to fit around the motor propery.

thermographer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 2004 Wheat/Beige with Automatic Tiptronic, ESP
I replaced the drivers side fan today on my PD and it's pretty much the same.

I would add that the plug was easier to get to from underneath the car. Remove the skid plate for the bottom torx and fan plug. (May be PD specific).

My $40 investment on ramps has paid for themselves many times over.

Great write up, thanks for posting.

poor1

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4
Changing a Radiator Mk4 TDI European

Should anyone want to just remove the radiator here is an old post of mine dating back to 2007.

Looks like the radiator on a Mk c4 Golf TDI is an expendable item. Mine is 8 years old and has only done 50000 miles. Seepages on both side of radiator indicated only staining by red coolant at the edges of the radiator. No noticeable drop in level in the coolant reservoir.

Changing a radiator is quite straight forward, but quite a lengthy process, principally because the front bumper need to be removed to gain access to the four Torx headed screws which hold the four rubber radiator mountings in place.
The bumper must be removed but the headlamps can remain in place. Removing the battery gives good access for the business side of the radiator itself.
Remove the fan and mounting in situ.
Don’t even bother starting without jacking the front of the car up sufficiently to raise the front wheel off the ground. It mades life much easier by removing the engine under shield at the start. This is also fastened with Torx headed self tapper.
Removing and replacing the bumper is easy enough for one person to handle. There are four Torx self tappers on the inside edge of the front wing and five special setscrews, (including two underneath each headlight unit)which can be only be accessed by removing the two grills on either side.
The hose outlets which are retained by stainless steel clips can be stubborn to remove from the radiator. Light taps with a delicate hammer will easily remove them once the stainless steel clips have been sprung into their resting position.
The bonnet release catch can be awkward to spread open without the chance of breaking it. The most controlled method of spreading it is a pair of outside circlip pliers.
The top and bottom rubber mountings are different. It is important to note that whilst the two lower radiator rubber mountings are not handed the top two, can only be fitted with the “notch” at the top. This is quite obvious if they are inserted in the mounting on the car before attaching them to the radiator.
Essential tools
Appropriate sized Torx drivers and hose clip spreaders and a 30mm deep socket of ring spanner to remove the temperate sensor.
Other parts which must be renewed as a matter of course are the two O rings inside the top and bottom hose outlets.
The only other matter is replacing the coolant. The most important thing is to put the coolant in very slowly otherwise you will create air locks. The TDI capacity is 6 litres and VW recommend at leady 40% of their own anti additive. The problem with the TDI is getting the coolant in and getting rid of the air locks. Ensure that the heater is fully on, fill the reservoir and try removing some air by squeezing the large hoses. It is quite obvious when these hoses become full of coolant because of the added resistance when squeezing them. Removing the overflow pipe and blowing hard down the pipe helps in the initial stages. When a reasonable quantity has been put into the system drive the vehicle for a mile, instead of letting it tick over and then top up. This accelerates the process of getting up to normal operating temperature. Keep an eye on the level for a few days and top up if necessary.
Hope it might be of assistance to someone.

As regards ramps suggested in the post immediately preceeding this one I find that two pieces of wood about two inches thick with a leading edge and about eigth inches wide are extremely useful for gaining quick access to the underneath for removing the undershield and draining the sump.

Last edited:

sschwein

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM - 345,000km
I have looked for information on how to replace the A5 (2006 TDI BRM) Radiator fans (I am told the large fan needs replacing). Is there a thread on how to do this change?

Idahokevin

TDI
2003 JETTA (Tiguan and Rabbit gas)
big thank you

After a very warm trip to the auto parts store, only to find that I "should" buy both fans and wait a week for them to arrive. I succesfully repaired my fan in a few hours. Biggest challenge of the project was unplugging the darn thing.
Many thanks
Kevin

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
1. Put car on ramps or stands, remove belly pan. Plugs are right under the driver-side fan toward the fenderwell.

2. Get under the car, remove passenger side (rear-most) plug from the clip it is in. If that's the one you want depress lock and unplug. You're done. If not...

3. Remove driver-side (front-most) plug from clip IT is in.

4. Depress lock, unplug.

Note that there isn't much slack in the wire and the plugs interfere with the ones coming out of the FCM so you have to be a bit creative maneuvering them out of the clip, but it's not particularly difficult.

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
A word of warning to others, I recently found that my driver's side fan had died and given that my blower fan died last year figured it would make sense to replace the smaller fan as well. Given this, I bought a complete set from Advance Auto with limited lifetime warranty that included the radiator shroud with the fans installed.

I started the job with the expectation I would be able to remove the shroud, which is only attached with 4 T27 bolts, and replace this as a unit. With difficulty I managed to get them out and disconnect the fan cables, only to find that there appears to be no way to get the shroud out or in with the engine and radiator in the car! I managed to get the bolts back into the shroud and then removed and replaced the fans individually.

So let this be a warning to others who think they might be able to replace both fans as a unit.

I should also note that you should be careful working around the lower radiator hose. It appears that I was not careful enough and now I am waiting for a replacment to arrive at the local dealer. This hose is original equipment, so after 14 years and almost 300k miles it did not appreciate being bothered and started leaking in the middle where I was playing with the fans.

Dave

cgates30

TDI
2002 Jetta, 2000 NB
I got home tonight to notice the smell of burning rubber and a little smoke coming from under the hood. Turns out the small fan motor was burning. Spun the big fan and noticed it doesn't turn smoothly, so it probably needs to be replaced too. Glad you mentioned the shroud kit isn't the right way to go.

A word of warning to others, I recently found that my driver's side fan had died and given that my blower fan died last year figured it would make sense to replace the smaller fan as well. Given this, I bought a complete set from Advance Auto with limited lifetime warranty that included the radiator shroud with the fans installed.

I started the job with the expectation I would be able to remove the shroud, which is only attached with 4 T27 bolts, and replace this as a unit. With difficulty I managed to get them out and disconnect the fan cables, only to find that there appears to be no way to get the shroud out or in with the engine and radiator in the car! I managed to get the bolts back into the shroud and then removed and replaced the fans individually.

So let this be a warning to others who think they might be able to replace both fans as a unit.

I should also note that you should be careful working around the lower radiator hose. It appears that I was not careful enough and now I am waiting for a replacment to arrive at the local dealer. This hose is original equipment, so after 14 years and almost 300k miles it did not appreciate being bothered and started leaking in the middle where I was playing with the fans.

Dave

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
I got home tonight to notice the smell of burning rubber and a little smoke coming from under the hood. Turns out the small fan motor was burning. Spun the big fan and noticed it doesn't turn smoothly, so it probably needs to be replaced too. Glad you mentioned the shroud kit isn't the right way to go.
It might still make sense to buy it, just don't plan to install it as a unit. In my case it was on sale, so I got both fans with a limited lifetime warranty and have a new shroud that perhaps I can sell to someone who could use it.

Dave

LeBude

TDI
2003 TDI 5MT JW GLS Blu/Gry (270K; SOLD 2020); 2004 TDI Golf GL 5MT Black (270K; SOLD 2019); 2013 JSW TDI SE 6 MT (SOLD 107k; 2020); 2015 TDI Golf GLS 6 MT; 2014 TDI JSW 6MT Blue 68K
Just changed the large fan in an 03 Wagon. thanks for the post.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
(snip) a complete set from Advance Auto with limited lifetime warranty that included the radiator shroud with the fans installed.
What did they charge you, Dave? (I recently did my fans but it would be good to know.)

cjz

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Replaced the driver's side fan in my Jetta.
Thanks for the well documented instructions.

danny miller

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 ALH
BTW, took apart my failed driver's side ALH fan just to see what was wrong.

The brush holders. They're plastic, and they melted completely. The fan didn't turn freely because the brushes were jammed at odd angles. Fortunately it somehow didn't have continuity at all anymore, so it didn't behave as an electrical short and blow the fuse or controller.

The new ones are supposed to have fixed this problem. Don't get a junkyard one, it may have the same defect. As if you could- I went through our junkyard, not one still had this fan.

Stiesel

TDI
None for now
I followed the directions as written and the only reason a twenty to thirty minute job took an hour and a half is because I did not understand how to disconnect/unplug the fan. Not uncommon for me to misunderstand some of the simpler things.

BTW, I did replace this last summer. I say some really stupid things when I don't wait before posting, so I have refrained from posting anything since selling my Golf on here a while back. (Should have kept that one, but have a nice wagon right now.)

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
I went to replace the fan on mine a couple of years ago but stripped the bottom Torx. I'm guessing I need to drill the head off, but then... what also would need to be replaced? Assuming whatever the bottom screw goes into needs replacing too. [Since the head stripped I'm not sure if grabbing whatever is left with vice grips will yield a nice clean removal of screw.]

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1

Dave

Greetings, passenger side fan has gone wonky, major vibrations when starting or stopping, so I bought the whole assemby on the rationale that both fans are the same age.

Does this warning above apply to the New Beetle? I am beginning to think so since if anything it is more cramped looking in there than in another model...(concerned look, lol)

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Yes that very specifically applies to the new beetle.

Just replace both fans, be careful not to scrape off the balancing weights (clips) from the fan blades.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
So, not really do-able all from the topside?

I've got to replace the small fan due to the some plastic missing from the outer blade ring: it really shakes pretty hard as a result (almost feels like a failing DMF)!

Any value in keeping any of the old parts given that the motor is still functioning?

I was kind of thinking that I could expedite the removal by cutting the wire harness; but, the end plugs in under the large fan (which really requires access from below)? I've got a Panzer plate and it's kind of a pain to remove and reinstall; plus, I don't like to put the car up unless it's necessary.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
It has been done from the topside. Your fans will come out the topside. Take the large one first if doing both.

But the wire connections in the lower left corner, and the bottom torx30 screw(s) are hard to reach from the top. Those wire connections can be a bear to get loose, and from the bottom you can reach them with both hands, from the top, just one hand and awkwardly.

Even using jacks and jackstands, I would rather do it with access from the bottom and from the top. Take the easiest to access bolt out last, so it holds the fan in place for you.

Take care that the wires are properly routed, or the fan blade will rub against them. I would keep the wire pigtails off the fans at least, as troubleshooting connectors, and parts sources. Unless your fans are bolted on (most are epoxied) on your new and old units, the motors are generally not much use.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Take care that the wires are properly routed, or the fan blade will rub against them. I would keep the wire pigtails off the fans at least, as troubleshooting connectors, and parts sources. Unless your fans are bolted on (most are epoxied) on your new and old units, the motors are generally not much use.
Dan, great advice (as well as the rest, which I snipped). On my car the "experts" clearly didn't heed your wisdom and as a result I discovered that the wires had gotten nicked by the fan blade! (I taped up the wires and replaced the shredded section of wire loom). Discovered by way of the sound, and the smell!:eek:

I'd already heard that I can't swap motors in their entirety. I was thinking that maybe brushes or such?

Salvaging wires and connectors, yeah, I've got tons of such from just about everything (old coffee makers etc.)!:D