Convert 5x100 to 5x112, change hubs

mtbr297

Vendor
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, Seat Leon FR PD 150 6 speed.
Is it possible to change a mk4 car to use mk5 5x112 wheels. I am interested in changing my hubs and brakes if necessary to fit some nice wheels I have. I don't really want to use some adaptors. Maybe parts from an audi?

v8 coupe

Veteran Member
TDI
09 rabbit 2.5L Gas
I've been thinking this same thing. As far as I can tell so far now this won't work, but I haven't had access to a MK5 setup yet.

Dieselgeek

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Get the ID of the bearing from a MK5 to see what the OD is on the MK5 hub. If it is 40mm (same as MK4) then you are golden as long as they didn't change any of the major dimensions or the spline pattern of the outer cv joint. If the OD of the MK5 hub stub is greater then 40mm you can still cut the hub stub tube down in a lathe to 40mm. I have done these mods on a VW 1.8T powered Focus I have.

For the rear hubs you might get a B5 Passat or MK5 stub to fit your axle beam.

Last edited:

mtbr297

Vendor
TDI
corrado tdi said:
Get the ID of the bearing from a MK5 to see what the OD is on the MK5 hub. If it is 40mm (same as MK4) then you are golden as long as they didn't change any of the major dimensions or the spline pattern of the outer cv joint. If the OD of the MK5 hub stub is greater then 40mm you can still cut the hub stub tube down in a lathe to 40mm. I have done these mods on a VW 1.8T powered Focus I have.

For the rear hubs you might get a B5 Passat or MK5 stub to fit your axle beam.
That is what I was thinking of, swaping out the hubs and rear spindle. I will need to find the measurements. Then I could keep my current brake set up until I wanted to upgrade them. Now I need to find some parts off a wrecked car.

v8 coupe

Veteran Member
TDI
09 rabbit 2.5L Gas
Well I'll need to get some parts ordered but I think I have it figured out. Brakes are the biggest issue as the stock rotors will not fit over 5-112 hubs. I tried Looking and nothing is really even close not even mk5 stuff.

For instance the front height of the rotor on a mk4 is ~34mm the mk5 is ~50mm so you'd have to make up ~16mm in the brakes. Personally I think the best setup is Audi A4 rotors which are 312mm and ~46mm deep so your only making up ~12mm still a ton. I'm going to look I think some of my older Audi stuff might fit to make for a nice bolt on BBK.

I'm a fan of 4-pot brakes personally I hate sliding calipers. I have TONS of older audi stuff so once I get the money and spare spindles my car will be 5-112 for mounting these:

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Have you considered machining mk4 rotors to fit the hole pattern on 5x112 hubs?

v8 coupe

Veteran Member
TDI
09 rabbit 2.5L Gas
corrado tdi said:
Yes that was my first idea. All the VW rotors I have will not fit over the 5-112 hubs the hat is physically not large enough. the rears will definitely need to be enlarged to a larger size to have any pad area.

Audi rotors will work shimming will be required. For instance I like the rear from a 91 Audi 200 for the rear. 269mm by 22mm vented and about perfect for use with the ttQ 225 carrier, or at least on paper.

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Sounds like finding a different set of similar wheels might be a better use of time unless you have a bunch or just want to redesign the braking system.

Not that you asked for it but in my lowly opinion the car would be nicer to drive with less unsprung weight. I've done many mods but always come back to lesser is better. My daily driver was killed with hail a few years ago and now I could care less about looks so the lighter 15" factory wheels make the car so much more pleasant to drive. I have some 17 inchers and the driving experience is so much worse with the extra 10 pounds per corner and low profile tires. I'm also not as young as I once was so my testosterone levels don't cry out for blingy stuff.

I have finally determined that time is precious. I don't squander it on obtaining flashy stuff. The ladies really don't care...really, they don't.

More info than you cared for, I know.

mtbr297

Vendor
TDI
I am begining to think if it is more than just some spindle swap I am going to go another route. Like Jim says time is precious for me as well. But I do like 17" flashy wheels. I want some the are vw or audi stock.

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Yeah Steve, kids change pretty much everything, right? :)

We love 'em though.

v8 coupe

Veteran Member
TDI
09 rabbit 2.5L Gas
corrado tdi said:
Sounds like finding a different set of similar wheels might be a better use of time unless you have a bunch or just want to redesign the braking system.

Not that you asked for it but in my lowly opinion the car would be nicer to drive with less unsprung weight. I've done many mods but always come back to lesser is better. My daily driver was killed with hail a few years ago and now I could care less about looks so the lighter 15" factory wheels make the car so much more pleasant to drive. I have some 17 inchers and the driving experience is so much worse with the extra 10 pounds per corner and low profile tires. I'm also not as young as I once was so my testosterone levels don't cry out for blingy stuff.

I have finally determined that time is precious. I don't squander it on obtaining flashy stuff. The ladies really don't care...really, they don't.

More info than you cared for, I know.
Those 17" wheels are both light and strong. They are OZ 3 pc. rims and good luck finding a matching set. I paid quite a bit for these. ~19lbs for the front and ~19.5lbs for the rear. I also have some very very light 16" wheels that would work for winter and a about 5 sets of BBS basket weaves. I have LOTS of Audi parts in my garage (like about 9 engines, a few dozen wheels, body parts, brakes, etc. etc.) so the more Audi stuff I can use on the Golf the better.

MK5 spindles would more then likely swap out I've already eye balled this, but the whole knuckle needs to go shocks, springs, etc. Good luck getting a decent handling car from that. You can't get use the whole MK5 system as the rear is totally different. Also the ABS sensors are not in the same places so using MK5 stuff requires the ABS sensors to be installed or deleted (ABS delete is a bad idea IMO). The biggest issue I see using MK5 spindles is the ABS and the fact that the MK5 are basically drop spindles so your going to drop the front regradless of sport springs or not. Now the MK5 suspension is also stiffer since they are slightly heavier so stiff lowered front with stock soft rear= fun in snow.

I do see your point Jim, but basically I'm either buying 2 more sets of wheels since I'm going to TT spindles/brakes (since i've already overheated these brakes over a dozen times, with aftermarket pads and SS lines) so I'd need at least 2 sets of 16" wheels so that's a grand or more for used wheels and tires. I have 16" snows, and 17" summers already not being used since I'm parting that white car and my only other Audi is sitting in my garage, with nothing but a shell (waiting for me to build the new subframes, then install the entire suspension, and drivetrain) so it won't need any wheels for another year or 2.

Last edited:

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
V8: Just curious, what do you mean by "overheating the brakes"? Do you mean warping the stock TDI rotors?

Have you looked at buiding your own Audi TDI?

v8 coupe

Veteran Member
TDI
09 rabbit 2.5L Gas
corrado tdi said:
V8: Just curious, what do you mean by "overheating the brakes"? Do you mean warping the stock TDI rotors?

Have you looked at buiding your own Audi TDI?
I haven't warped the rotors, but I have gotten the brakes hot enough that once I stopped moving they smoke (pads melting) and the fluid was very very hot.

Yes I have considered building a TDI Audi. I'd love to get an Audi Coupe Quattro (91 or 90) and install a 2.5L TDI from an 01 A6 with a DQT code 6-speed. I already have a DQT code 6-speed that is getting bolted to a built up 4.2L V8 for my current Coupe, that car will be ~350-400HP when I finish the intake and exhaust and the cams get reground. I work a s a machinist in a high performance engine(thou many cylinder head) rebuilt shop. My biggest issue is cost at the moment with college and a current money pit project require many many custom pieces (becase I'm annal about quality) it's just not in the cards at the moment. I did consider building my golf into 4-motion, but it's just a little to expensive. a chip and 6-speed with some handling should be fine for the mean time.

gizmocska

TDI
2003 Passat AFN 1.9 tdi For Sale...
How about just drilling different holes in both the rotor and hub and thread the hubs?would it be to hard to do?

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
The difference between 5x100 and 5x112 is so small that the holes would overlap and the bolts would never cinch right.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
why not rotate the rotors 36 degrees and the hubs 36 degrees and make 5x112 hubs with 5x112 rotors to matchwith a few drill bits, a tap and a drill press? not enough meat outside the 5x112 pattern on the hubs?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Is the hub large enough to support the 5x112 pattern even if its offset by 36*?

I know I've heard of people drilling 4x108 on 4x100 hubs and even 5x108 on 5x100 hubs but I know that there was very little support on the edges of the hub.

At one point I began to ponder how to do this and I started thinking that it would probably be best to start with looking in VW/Audi/Seat's parts bins for a front hub that work with out axle's splines (brake rotors would also be something to look for)and then just drill the rear brake rotors on the mk3 and Rado. Mk4 and mk5s would have to also look for a rear part from the parts bins.

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
My personal opinion is that there would be too great a risk of cracking with 10 holes in such a small surface area.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
adapters, adapters, adapters...

The amount of time, effort, and cash to do a full spindle swap seems insane. Just get some good adapters and be done with it.

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
Adapters would be the most time efficient and cheap route to go, easy to find relatively cheap to acquire and can be found new or used. Also if they ever break or malfunction it wont take you long to switch back to stock or replace.
There are a lot of vw guys running anything from Audi, Ferrari, Porsche and Bentley adapters. Some times we tend to over complicate things keep it simple.
As far as the poke or rub issue roll the fenders most body shops can do this and it will still be cheaper than building a one off.

carrarmat

TDI
MKIV 25 YEARS
I have machined a new rotors with 5x112 holes pattern,I need only the last information for complete my swap,the dimension of spline,i know only that is 36 teeth

eparker202

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Beetle Convertible 6MT TDI
someone near me is selling portos with 500 miles on them for 750 bucks (OEM tires included), i want a good conversion now! stupid adapters, boo