engine overhaul

BadBeetle

TDI
03' Beetle
I have a 03 TDI Beetle that is slowly getting louder and louder, slower and slower. It has 190k on it with the last real work done on it at about 80. Ive done some mods like bigger injectors, bigger turbo, remap, 3" exhaust. I own vag com and the bently disc but have never really used them or really know how. The clutch slips occasionally, so the mission is to change that, as well as anything else that should be done while this task is being performed. Im hoping for some TDI Club help with this project. Kinda a on line start to finish project with some performance mods in there as well. The tech articals are great but I would like to tackle this with a " if this were my car " kinda attitude. I would appreciate any help with this project.
Mike

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
saying your car is geting slower and louder doesn't really tell us what is happening. Do you have a check engine light on? Who did your remap? I assume you have 190k kms (not miles) which is nothing - that engine is only now being broken in.

BadBeetle

TDI
03' Beetle
Engine knock is getting loud. Not the usual diesel knock that we all love. Not a rod or bearings kinda knock, just the diesel knock is getting louder. So, I do want to change the clutch due to slipping, and to do the intake just because we can and something is making it slower. I had it remaped at a local tuner when I put in the egr plate ( is that what its called) and it threw a code. I asked about the program he was using and how to get one, and he introduced me to vag com. So I bought one and the bently disc but have never used it, aside from clearing a glow plug code. Oh! And the idler pully squeeks when cold. I would definatly want to change that, timing belt (?), things like that. But I am one of those guys that love to improve and looking at if from the angle of "you know, while its out we should put bigger pistons and propane injection" if you know what I mean.
Thanks for your time.
Mike

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
When you do the intake (I am assuming you mean clean it) check the intake valves. You should be able to see into the ports while the intake manifold is off to see if they need cleaning also.

TdiScottie

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
My recommendations:

Clean the intake.

Run some diesel purge.

Check the injection timing via vagcom. If it is highly advanced, the diesel clatter/knock will be louder.

All of this stuff can be found in the forums.

BadBeetle

TDI
03' Beetle
Ok, thats where I will start. Pulling the car into the shop this aft. Thanks for your intrest. I'm excited to learn how to use vagcom and use the mods I've done so far.