VW Buyback program is a nightmare

Screenial

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
When I called the number on the website I had the strangest experience. The convo went like this:
VW Rep: (answers call) Yeah?
Me: Um, is this VW?
VW Rep: Yeah
Me: I got an email that says I need my previous registration, I don't have that, and I went to the DMV and they said they wouldn't have a copy of my previous years registration. They can send me a record history of my car. Is that good enough?
VW Rep: (silence)
Me: hello?
VW Rep: yeah, hold on
(wait long period in silence...... then another person comes on the line)
VW Rep: Yes?
Me: (repeats everything I said to the other rep)
VW Rep: You need to send last years 2015 registration
Me: Once again, I don't have that. No one keeps expired registrations.
VW Rep: You need to get it from the place you get your car stickers from.
Me: Yes, that's the DMV, and like I said, I spent an hour there today, and they said they cannot print out expired registrations. Is proof that I paid it enough to satisfy VW?
(silence)
Me: Hello?
VW Rep: You need to send your previous registration from 2015. They need proof you owned the vehicle then.
Me: (wondering if someone is playing a joke on me) Really? I bought the car new in 2008.I still have the bill of sale.
VW Rep: You need to send your previous registration from 2015.
Me:Is a paid receipt for my 2015 registration enough?
VW Rep: (pause)Yes
Me: Can I scan this and email it like the other documents?
VW Rep: Yes
Me : Okay, I guess that's all I have to ask.
VW Rep: Ok, goodbye

I couldn't believe how unprofessional and odd the whole conversation went, I'm not convinced anyone VW hired to answer questions has a clue what they are doing.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
You do not have to sell the car back to them. Most people are because the dollar amount offered is very good.

Keep the car and let VW figure out their own issues and fines.

VW has to repurchase most of the cars ( a certain percentage ) otherwise they get fined a larger and additional penalty amount by the government.

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
When I called the number on the website I had the strangest experience. The convo went like this:
VW Rep: (answers call) Yeah?
Me: Um, is this VW?
VW Rep: Yeah
Me: I got an email that says I need my previous registration, I don't have that, and I went to the DMV and they said they wouldn't have a copy of my previous years registration. They can send me a record history of my car. Is that good enough?
VW Rep: (silence)
Me: hello?
VW Rep: yeah, hold on
(wait long period in silence...... then another person comes on the line)
VW Rep: Yes?
Me: (repeats everything I said to the other rep)
VW Rep: You need to send last years 2015 registration
Me: Once again, I don't have that. No one keeps expired registrations.
VW Rep: You need to get it from the place you get your car stickers from.
Me: Yes, that's the DMV, and like I said, I spent an hour there today, and they said they cannot print out expired registrations. Is proof that I paid it enough to satisfy VW?
(silence)
Me: Hello?
VW Rep: You need to send your previous registration from 2015. They need proof you owned the vehicle then.
Me: (wondering if someone is playing a joke on me) Really? I bought the car new in 2008.I still have the bill of sale.
VW Rep: You need to send your previous registration from 2015.
Me:Is a paid receipt for my 2015 registration enough?
VW Rep: (pause)Yes
Me: Can I scan this and email it like the other documents?
VW Rep: Yes
Me : Okay, I guess that's all I have to ask.
VW Rep: Ok, goodbye

I couldn't believe how unprofessional and odd the whole conversation went, I'm not convinced anyone VW hired to answer questions has a clue what they are doing.

What about the TITLE. That shows ownership and when you sell the car, the title goes to the buyer, who gets one on the date they make the purchase. Did you take the car in for any services? They should have records of that. :cool:

Seikoguy

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen - Gone!
I was amazed. I received my Chase information as noted above at 8:26 the day after the buyback at the dealer. I found the payment in my non-Chase account the NEXT DAY just 16 hours later. So I am totally through the process and had no issues at all.
Same with me. I had zero issues with the buyback process. Turned my car in on a Tuesday afternoon - spent about 10 minutes at the VW dealership. Got the email from Chase two days later (Thursday), and the funds were in my Chase account the next day (Friday). Super easy. I would imagine that the majority of VW TDI owners will have easy transactions, especially if all their paperwork was in order.

bruce51d

TDI
2012 jetta
I work in the middle east and my mom has a power of attorney. Shes been taking care of it for me. I just don't like how i'll have to take it 100 miles to the dealership and have someone follow me though. Hell of a lot better than keepin it though.

CNYTDi

TDI
2013 Passat TDi SEL
I'm still waiting to hear back from VW as according to the claim portal, "They are reviewing my documents to see if I qualify". Orig faxed items were in mid Nov--2 weeks later get a e-mail from VW "We cannot make out your face on DL". WTH does that have to do w/ things as all other info match reg that was on same fax page? Re-send DL 2x and at above statement from VW--that was early Dec. Meantime, car has bad water leak, but dealer has loaned us a '14 Jetta cuz our TDi is non driveable due to leak.

If someone calls the VW class council number which I assume is a lawyer number, who ends up paying them? What can they do that I'm not to get things moving?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
What about the TITLE. That shows ownership and when you sell the car, the title goes to the buyer, who gets one on the date they make the purchase. Did you take the car in for any services? They should have records of that. :cool:
You have to send both title or loan info and registration. I usually have several years worth of registrations in my glove box. Same with insurance cards. It's more of a black hole than usable storage.

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
I'm still waiting to hear back from VW as according to the claim portal, "They are reviewing my documents to see if I qualify". Orig faxed items were in mid Nov--2 weeks later get a e-mail from VW "We cannot make out your face on DL". WTH does that have to do w/ things as all other info match reg that was on same fax page? Re-send DL 2x and at above statement from VW--that was early Dec. Meantime, car has bad water leak, but dealer has loaned us a '14 Jetta cuz our TDi is non driveable due to leak.

If someone calls the VW class council number which I assume is a lawyer number, who ends up paying them? What can they do that I'm not to get things moving?
I hope you don't have too far to drive to get to your dealer, if you don't want to fix the water leak (assuming it could be driven a short distance if you kept it topped up along the way). When I was getting the final paperwork ready to go in for our turn in date, I noticed there was a stipulation that it had to be driven to the dealer under its own power. We kept it in the garage with space heaters running the night before, to make sure we wouldn't have another intercooler freeze-up non-start.

I believe VW has to pay all the lawyer fees, but I don't know if they can help move things along. Can't hurt to try.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I noticed there was a stipulation that it had to be driven to the dealer under its own power.
There is no such requirement. It has to be able to drive under its own power, but there is no requirement on how it arrives at the dealer. My dealer took my wrecked JSW delivered on a flatbed tow truck without issue, and others have reported similar results.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
And there's no specification for how long it has to be able to drive under its own power.

Most have reported that they may move it out of a parking spot and then into the spot, or across the parking lot, or something of that sort ... not an endurance test.

If there's a coolant leak and it's an easy fix, fix it.

If the coolant leak is in a non-essential component (e.g. heater core), bypass the leaky part with a suitable hose.

If it's going to be expensive to repair (e.g. water pump), have the car towed to the dealer. It'll run long enough with low coolant for what is needed here.

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
I wasn't saying it needed to be fixed first, just that it had to be driven. And here is a quote from the buyback checklist they sent us: "2.0-Liter TDI Vehicle whose VIN Matches the VIN Associated with Your Claim. Remember that the vehicle must be driven under its own 2.0-liter engine power in order to complete the Buyback." That seems pretty straight forward. So maybe some dealers were not making people meet that. I didn't want to try to find out if my dealer would try to back out of the deal if I had to have it towed.
It is not something I was aware of until getting ready to finish up the deal, so I thought I would warn others.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
Again, "driven under its own power". Nothing about how it gets to the lot, just that it can drive under its own power.

armedferret

TDI
2013 Jetta 6MT, 2013 Golf DSG (wife's)
They've been "reviewing documentation" since 7 November. All the halfway-educated morons on the chat and phone (unintelligible half-english using phrases like "that's mines" and "as a estimated.") will say is "you should be getting a offer letter in 2-6 weeks maybe." they've been saying this since right around thanksgiving, give or take a couple days this side of it.

Deployment and PCS windows are coming up soon, so by my luck I'll be halfway around the world when it happens (and no, i don't trust ANYONE I know with POA to do it). or i'll have to haul the car halfway across the country for a PCS and end up having to start over from the beginning because i'll be using a different dealership.

good thing there's a court order in place and they have to *gasp* pay MONEY to the government for screwing US over on the wait!

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
end up having to start over from the beginning because i'll be using a different dealership.
No changes will be needed to turn in to a different dealership than was originally expected. When you do get your offer letter, return it, and are allowed to schedule a turn-in appointment, you can pick any dealer you want at that time.

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I have never ever dealt with a system as horrible as this buyback program. This has made me so angry at VW that I have sworn never ever to buy another VW in my lifetime. I literally feel like hiring one of these attorneys that has sent me mail and let them loose on VW to sue them directly. The way VW treats their buyback customers is atrocious, it's just a faceless machine. Meanwhile we have a car that the State of California won't allow us to drive because we can't get it registered, and we're making payments to our bank on the car.
I wasn't upset until I couldn't register my car... then I contacted one of those attorneys that sent me something in the mail.

Mine just threw an adblue heater code. Buyback scheduled for March!

bye bye Passat - you are SO close to the perfect car

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
I had ZERO issues or problems with the turn in process of my 2015 Passat.

Early Nov - Initial paperwork submitted
Late Nov - Paperwork Verified awaiting offer
Early Dec - Offer Received, sent back the same day.
Day after - Portal opens portion to make appoint (selected earliest date 22DEC)
20 Dec - Rep let us drop off our car a few days early due to a military PCS
10 Jan - VW Auto Credit loan paid off (could have been sooner but that was when I checked)

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
I wasn't upset until I couldn't register my car... then I contacted one of those attorneys that sent me something in the mail.

Mine just threw an adblue heater code. Buyback scheduled for March!

bye bye Passat - you are SO close to the perfect car
2012 Passats ADblue heater is covered under extended warranty. Funny thing is mine threw codes for the heater and tank sensor and VWoA told me to **** off when requesting them cover the repairs. I was happy and sad to see that car go.

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I was happy and sad to see that car go.
yeah, it's super bitter-sweet for me.

I doubt i'll find another car that I'm so happy with in all avenues.

I need to drive the Mazda 6 as that's probably going to be the closest

Last edited:

itgrowsind

TDI
Jetta Tdi 2010
my 2013 tdi got a CEL on cluster for adblue needed and something about the passenger airbag. It still runs fine just these CEL lights are on will they be trying to deduct from my offer just to know what to do if they give me a hard time.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
No, they don't adjust the buyback for condition, unless you've deliberately stripped major parts from the car. I had my totaled car towed in, and they bought it back for the full amount.

sugisan

TDI
N/A
For people who opted to receive a check instead of through EFT:
I went in yesterday to return the car, but they told me they can't give me the check because I went over the estimated miles. Now, I have to reschedule the appointment, which is another month and a half away. I knew driving the car more than 1000 miles a month would reduce my buyback, but didn't know they would have to void the check. Was this in the disclaimer?
Also, they recommended me to change to EFT to avoid this situation again, but to change to EFT, they have to put in a request which takes 7-10 days, which they may or may not approve. To avoid any complications in the system later, I'm staying with the check and not drive the car. It's okay for me since I already bought a replacement car, but for people who only own one car, this is really inconvenient.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
I believe - in going the check (vice EFT) route - if you are 'over' there is a problem.

But - IIRC - if your mileage is 'under" - you get the check PLUS ANOTHER WILL BE MAILED WHICH REFLECTS THE MILEAGE DIFFERENTIAL.

How do that sound?

ez (waiting until 2018 - and perhaps my mileage will be 'under'..........)

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
It sounds like what is in the settlement. It does NOT sound like how VW is handling the mileage discrepancies. From reading all these - if you're taking the buyback - take the EFT. You won't have to "reschedule" because the amount they have on your check is incorrect.

YMMV.

BTW - I just got my email from Chase last night for my Gen 3 Fix Stage1 - yes it's an EFT. I'm getting more than I originally thought. I expect the money in my credit union checking account sometime between tomorrow and Tuesday.

IA DPE

TDI
2009 Jetta (sold back 08/18); 2014 Q5 (totaled 12/19😥); 2013 Dodge Cummins
I just checked available dates for an appointment, and there aren't any in the Charlotte NC area until the last half of March at several dealerships.

I don't get my work schedule for March until Feb 20th, by which time no March dates will be available. :mad:

This debacle is the gift that keeps on giving.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Were you given a choice somewhere along the way?
I don't remember seeing one. I would have done the EFT anyway. Put in my credit union information last night - I'm expecting the money to be there by tuesday night / wednesday morning. No rush - I'm just going to paydown a credit card with it. (and maybe new tires for the Golf - down to 1/8 inch tread).

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................

Hola Senor 'Pasta,

Your California registration denial info is very pertinent.

I understand - by accepting some sort of settlement penalty funds - that California is NOT denying TDI registrations.

I'd sure appreciate your follow-up experience here.....pending my April '17
registration renewal.

all the best,

ez