MK4 Jetta Retrofit Issues

Got Smoke?

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Ok I have had a set of retrofits in my car for almost a year now, and they work great on the low beam but I cannot get the high beams to work correctly. Switching from low beam to high beam my bulbs shut completely off.

Parts:
Acme H1 projectors
Morimoto bulbs and ballast's
Morimoto relay harness

I asked on a retrofit forum on FB and was told to swap the blue and white wires in the 9004/9007 plug on the relay harness. Doing this doesn't change anything. Now if I swap the brown wire from one end of the plug to the other it doesn't matter what position the white and blue wires are in in the other slots I have high beams on the low setting. Then when I flip the stalk from low to high the shield retracts as if to go to low beam, but then the bulb cuts completely off.

We've tried the wires all different ways and cannot figure it out, has anyone had this same issue?

Zheking

TDI
02 Golf
I had an issue on my xterra with the high beam shutters open when it should of been low beams. I just had to swap some of the wiring around on the main plug going into the vehicle harness, as it was not correct and did not match up to the vehicle harness (IE ground was to ground, but high was to low, and low was to high, or something along those lines, it's been awhile)

Got Smoke?

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I had an issue on my xterra with the high beam shutters open when it should of been low beams. I just had to swap some of the wiring around on the main plug going into the vehicle harness, as it was not correct and did not match up to the vehicle harness (IE ground was to ground, but high was to low, and low was to high, or something along those lines, it's been awhile)
Unfortunately my problem is deeper than that evidently. That's why I described and provided pictures of the pin swapping that still hasn't solved the problem.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I did almost exactly this same swap (morimoto bulbs, ballasts, but with FX-R projectors - same idea, of course), and I used aftermarket housing that had separate high-beam bulb. With that, I did NOT use any kind of relay or relay harness.

I disabled the DRLs (bent down the TFL pin on the headlight switch), and then also did some wiring (can't remember exactly what; edit: Found the how-to on the Vortex) on the steering column so that the low beams would stay on when I flipped on the high beams.

Inside the headlight housing, I tapped the bi-xenon flap/shield wiring into the high-beam wiring. Result:
1. Simple - it just worked.
2. The light output with the high beams on and bixenons "open" - it was like daytime driving. :D

Last edited:

Got Smoke?

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I did almost exactly this same swap (morimoto bulbs, ballasts, but with FX-R projectors - same idea, of course), and I used aftermarket housing that had separate high-beam bulb. With that, I did NOT use any kind of relay or relay harness.

I disabled the DRLs (bent down the TFL pin on the headlight switch), and then also did some wiring (can't remember exactly what; edit: Found the how-to on the Vortex) on the steering column so that the low beams would stay on when I flipped on the high beams.

Inside the headlight housing, I tapped the bi-xenon flap/shield wiring into the high-beam wiring. Result:
1. Simple - it just worked.
2. The light output with the high beams on and bixenons "open" - it was like daytime driving. :D
Thank you this may be the route I have to take since that appears to be my main problem (power doesn't stay on to the bulb going from low to high beam)

Last edited:

Got Smoke?

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Well I feel like an idiot. I had forgotten or never realized these cars had 4 total head light fuses (L & R low beam and L & R high beam). One of the high beam fuses was blown which was causing the high beam circuit to not work correctly.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
If you finally found the problem, obscure and well camouflaged though it is, then you are NOT an idiot. Playing with Jetta headlights can be tricky when you switch lighting systems. If you have it working now, you are a success. Maybe you can write up a short synopsis of what you have, how you ended up with what is working, as well as the problems along the way.

I am sure I'll be seeing something like this soon enough.

Cheers,

PH