Amsoil In this Thread only

Which AMSOIL?

• Total voters

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Frank M said:
There is an Amsoil salesman that once said "because he lives in Texas, he uses a thick oil"

Based on that, the SAE30 would be the right Amsoil choice.
Chris Thorton---I forget his username here--- doesn't drive a PD also-- so your argument is moot

...and yes... go with AFL (Euro 5w-40). While they lack certification from VAG.... Amsoil recommends it and will stand behind their product

Last edited:

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
The man said he wanted to use amsoil read the first post -
VW list or not he wanted to use amsoil cert from VAG irrelevant

SuburbanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle TDI, and two Jetta TDI
cjmorrell said:
I will check into the certificate/indorsement from Volkswagen.
Sorry cjmorrell, we're not permitted to discuss Volkswagen 505.01 approval here in regards to Amsoil.

Fred's member wjdell is correct regarding the Party Line:

The man said he wanted to use amsoil read the first post -
VW list or not he wanted to use amsoil cert from VAG irrelevant
Good luck figuring it all out and again, sorry about not being able to discuss this product freely.

Last edited:

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
dhdenney said:
I would disregard this comment. 5w40 is formulated for the PD so use it. The SAE 30 is a HD oil and your PD is not a heavy duty engine.
20IndigoBlue02 said:
Chris Thorton---I forget his username here--- doesn't drive a PD also-- so your argument is moot

...and yes... go with AFL (Euro 5w-40). While they lack certification from VAG.... Amsoil recommends it and will stand behind their product
It doesn't matter that he has a PD.
He asked what to use and gave us choices.

Evidently he either doesn't care about the 505.01 or has found some that has the Cert in a 30w.

He clearly stated that he doesn't want to be told not to use Amsoil, so he has selected all his options.

Last edited:

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dhdenney said:
I switched from Castrol TXT to the Amsoil at 15K miles. I'm now up to almost 21K on Amsoil. No noticeable improvement in MPG. I did achieve my first 700+ mile per tank with Amsoil but I also drove the speed limit to help get that. With oil change as the only mod, I say no it won't net you any more MPG.
Proving that 40 is 40 and they are the same as far as drag. Acually on long trips I would expect the blend to give you better milage. Might be hard to measure. Since the car is further towards its proclaimed break in point of what 50k it should have been a tad better and it was not. Maybe Amsoil is thicker even when hot. That would be good and what I would expect.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I misunderstood him to I thought he owned a PD and other equpiment and wanted to use one oil - which AFL or 10W30/30 and I thought he would be better off using the 5W40 in all. As Lombardini said 5W40 was a good oil. they also showed a VW spec.

Skymedic

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I can understand a synthetic being appropriate for a hot running turbo car. I think the injection pump comes into play as well. But when it comes to oil for regual engines I dont see that it matters too much. I have a '93 4runner V-6 with 205k miles on it. It has had everything from M-1, Castrol and now Pennzoil form JLube. The thing runs like a tank with little to no consumption and no smoking. Maybe that year of motor was super bulletproof or I am just lucky, but it seems oil is oil, unless running turbo's.

PS- I will run Amsoil in my TDI after 10k and will never take it to JLube...lol.

Do most of you guys buy whatever you want to use and take it to the dealer for the rest of the service and have them use that? Will they credit the service since they dont use their stuff?

Last edited:

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have never used a dealer accept for a few adjustments on new cars over the last 33 years. I know besides reciepts we better keep miticulous records and even oil batch numbers. I have decided to just keep everything. They have written and they even called to today to make my first change appointment.

cjmorrell

AMSOIL 5W-40 European Engine Formula meets the VW specs and that is what AMSOIL lists on the bottle and spec sheet. VW can't go throguh all engine oils on the market and endorse them , especially when they prefer to sell their own branded oil as they make a lot of profit.

Cliff
Twin-City-Synthetics.com

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
cjmorrell said:
AMSOIL 5W-40 European Engine Formula meets the VW specs and that is what AMSOIL lists on the bottle and spec sheet. VW can't go throguh all engine oils on the market and endorse them , especially when they prefer to sell their own branded oil as they make a lot of profit.

Cliff
Twin-City-Synthetics.com
Cliff, you stated in your previous post your next step would be to check on Amsoils VW certification.
Is this what you found out?

If so, I would like to buy the VW branded oil however I have never seen any from VW.

Like you state, for VW there is "a lot of profit " selling oil.
I would imagine even more profit is made when there is no overhead such as hiring salespeople, advertising, paying for Certifications etc. :confused:

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Frank M said:
Cliff, you stated in your previous post your next step would be to check on Amsoils VW certification.
Is this what you found out?

If so, I would like to buy the VW branded oil however I have never seen any from VW.

Like you state, for VW there is "a lot of profit " selling oil.
I would imagine even more profit is made when there is no overhead such as hiring salespeople, advertising, paying for Certifications etc. :confused:

Thats true Frank and in the computer business we found it better, much better. We did not sell as many computers but we did not care.

By eliminating all those wasteful cost
We used SuperMicro and other top boards and our comptetition used chinese no name.
We used well made power supplys and our comp used the 5 usd chinese. If you do not believe there is a difference but a meter on them and test. I have hundreds
We used tier one memory and our comp used 2, if you are lucky 3 or 4 more likely. Would you rather have a Siemans Toshiba or a Dell a Volkwagen or a Kia
They used a buttermilk case and we used one that you could hold and it would not bend and distort.

The clear winners were our customers.

He can not prove its good enough, true, and for that matter no one can prove its not. I the end if you used a product that was branded for 505.01 in North America, by a reputable company. It would not be up to the customer to prove the oil was good enough, but for for VW to prove it was not. Then we would have the test :)

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
wjdell said:
Thats true Frank and in the computer business we found it better, much better. We did not sell as many computers but we did not care.

He can not prove its good enough, true, and for that matter no one can prove its not. I the end if you used a product that was branded for 505.01 in North America, by a reputable company. It would not be up to the customer to prove the oil was good enough, but for for VW to prove it was not. Then we would have the test :)
I and many others prefer to pay for a quality product.
That is why we have brand names doing most of the business in any sector.

tdi06

TDI
06' Jetta tdi 5 spd
Frank M said:
I and many others prefer to pay for a quality product.
That is why we have brand names doing most of the business in any sector.

I prefer a qualty product too, thats why I use Amsoil. Good stuff!;)

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
tdi06 said:
I prefer a qualty product too, thats why I use Amsoil. Good stuff!;)
It may well be, however it is not a major brand doing business in its sector. Its just a brand without credibility from VW.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
jombl said:
Sorry cjmorrell, we're not permitted to discuss Volkswagen 505.01 approval here in regards to Amsoil.

Fred's member wjdell is correct regarding the Party Line:

Good luck figuring it all out and again, sorry about not being able to discuss this product freely.

I don't know where you came up with this. There is an open thread here that goes into painful detail on Amsoil and VW's 505.01 spec.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=137104

Your statements are outright distortion. What is not allowed in Amsoil threads is giving you free rein to troll, abuse, flame, attack, post FUD tactics, etc, what you usually do.

There is no shame in not participating in an Amsoil thread if your goal is to not contribute positively.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Frank M said:
It may well be, however it is not a major brand doing business in its sector. Its just a brand without credibility from VW.

Neither is SuperMicro - but you do not believe for a minute the a 400 Dell has a SuperMicro board

On the other hand some of their top end multi processor servers are SuperMicro boards - They do not say - Dell asian dodo
Dell SuperMicro - on the front

don't get me wrong I like you Frank we just have a difference in opinon. I think Shell is a better company than Mobil Shell labs are second to none. I use all Mobil Shell Amsoil

Last edited:

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
wjdell said:
Neither is SuperMicro - but you do not believe for a minute the a 400 Dell has a SuperMicro board

On the other hand some of their top end multi processor servers are SuperMicro boards - They do not say - Dell asian dodo
Dell SuperMicro - on the front

don't get me wrong I like you Frank we just have a difference in opinon. I think Shell is a better company than Mobil Shell labs are second to none. I use all Mobil Shell Amsoil
I have been around the service business for along time. Have had people sell me parts that were made by "so and so" the same name that everyone recognizes and uses.

I got burned just a few times until I realized that "so and so" has to dump their rejects somewhere. They had a higher failure rate and some didn't work at all right out of the box.
I don't buy anything that means something to me unless it is a brand name that is well known for quality. PERIOD

Its called reducing the odds of getting junk.
Not to say that everything is perfect, just if something goes haywire they will also stand behind it.

Rejects are a waste of time for any manufacturer or service person.
Pay the price, get the best quality product and charge accordingly. Customers deserve to get what they pay for, not rejects.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Frank, just so you know there is Volkswagen/Audi branded 505.01 synthetic 5w40 oil. It comes in a white bottle, similar labeling as the PS fluid, etc. I had gotten it from the dealer a couple times. Squarish liter bottle, not Castrol TXT (although it may have been inside). There have also been a couple different designed Castrol bottles.

Been a long while since I got that VW-branded oil. Actually, the first time I saw it was when a customer brought his own oil from the dealer on his '04 Jetta to me for an oil change. It was also the same bottle that was given to me at the dealer when I bought our Passat. Ever since then though it has been Castrol TXT.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Frank M said:
I have been around the service business for along time. Have had people sell me parts that were made by "so and so" the same name that everyone recognizes and uses.

I got burned just a few times until I realized that "so and so" has to dump their rejects somewhere. They had a higher failure rate and some didn't work at all right out of the box.
I don't buy anything that means something to me unless it is a brand name that is well known for quality. PERIOD

Its called reducing the odds of getting junk.
Not to say that everything is perfect, just if something goes haywire they will also stand behind it.

Rejects are a waste of time for any manufacturer or service person.
Pay the price, get the best quality product and charge accordingly. Customers deserve to get what they pay for, not rejects.
Come on Frank - Amsoil does not package rejects - The discusson I thought was based on adverizing and channels. I have a Toshiba laptop and my server is a old Intel PRX 440 dual cpu's to me a Intel board is about as low as I will go. I built this one in 98 and its ticking. :)

I am sure that Amsoil as Mobil move their substandard stuff to channels were it can be used appropiately for other uses. Maybe it becomes chain saw bar oil I do not know. This thread was started by a gentleman who wanted a opinion about which "Amsoi"l product he should use 10W30/30 or 5W40 in his PD. Your advice should have been

I personally would not use any Amsoil product in my PD, as they have failed to submit their products to the proper channels for testing and thus approval by VW. But if you were to insist to use Amsoil, the AFL would be the product that Amsoil intended and reformulated for PD use.

:):)

I was a PR man - :):)

Rustynuts

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta 2.0ltr Sport TDI
oilhammer said:
Frank, just so you know there is Volkswagen/Audi branded 505.01 synthetic 5w40 oil. It comes in a white bottle, similar labeling as the PS fluid, etc. I had gotten it from the dealer a couple times. Squarish liter bottle, not Castrol TXT (although it may have been inside). There have also been a couple different designed Castrol bottles.
The UK dealerships stock a range of oils called "Quantum" on the shelf to sell to customers. It's the same Castrol stuff they use in the service dept, just rebranded and marketed as their own oil. The stuff they use in the service dept is Castrol, but not in bottles. It comes in drums and is marked Castrol.

l1o9s7t6

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, sedan 2002 blue
Oil threads always seem to bring out the best in people.

The 5w-40 would be your best choice.

AndyH

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'97 Passat Wagon 410K RIP
wjdell said:
Come on Frank - Amsoil does not package rejects... <snips>
I am sure that Amsoil as Mobil move their substandard stuff to channels were it can be used appropiately for other uses.
WJ,

AMSOIL doesn't package rejects, it doesn't use recycled drums or bottles, they don't make 'private label' products, and they have a multi-level (fitting, isn't it?!) 100% quality control program. The QC program includes chemical analysis of raw materials before they're unloaded (whether truck or rail), another test as the materials go into blending, blended product is tested, and each batch is tested as it goes to bottling. Waste oil ('blow out') from hoses in between bottling runs is used to fire the oil furnaces in the blending/bottling plant. The lot numbers on containers can be traced back to bottling run, bottling and blending crew, and source raw materials.

jombl, Incorrect. Discussion is allowed. Sniping is not.

Twitch,

AFL is the only product in AMSOIL's lineup that is built for, and recommended for, PD TDIs. No other product from the company is recommended, and only this product will be covered by AMSOIL's warranty for this application.

Have a great weekend!
Andy

edit underlined.

Last edited:

brann524

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta tdi, 5 speed
Just took my pd in last friday and had the dealer install afl. Thanks for all of you who have given me the courage to do it. This was my 5m oil change and I plan to probably use it for the life of car unless the engine explodes.

dynoman

Amsoil

Hi there, I am new to the forum, I just purchased a 2006 Jetta and was wondering if I could use the Amsoil 3000 for oil changes????

tdi06

TDI
06' Jetta tdi 5 spd
Amsoil recomends their Euro Formula 5W-40 AFL oil for the newer VW's requiring a 505.01 spec oil. There are a bunch of threads in regard to this question if you wish to search for them.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Well your manual says to use oil meeting VW 505.01 rating.

You can buy it at your dealer (usually reasonable price!!) or online at

several of the vendors mentioned in the forums.

Amsoil is a bit of a hot button with a lot of members here. If you have

a spare lifetime or two, read the many and long threads pertaining to the

question you just asked.

Use whatever you like of course, but if the dealer finds out you used

anything other than 505.01 he will likely try (and succeed, so I hear) to

weasel on your warranty. 505.01 is not a brand but rather a specification

put out by VW. So there are several brands you can buy. The easiest is

the one you get at your VW dealer, usually Castrol.

There is a list floating around here somewhere of the approved (by VW)

oils you can supposedly use.

Why not let your dealer do the 5000 and 10000 mile service while

you use that time to decide what other oil to use?

Welcome to the club!

Guys, I tried to give an honest and neutral answer, how did I do?

Tap-dancin Bill

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Amsoil would not rec their 3000 if you wrote them but the AFL. Amsoil is confident they have reformulated a very good 505.01 oil but never submitted it to VAG for approval. Some will say in America you can run run this oil and not void your warrenty. I am not up to hassle with VW so I am looking for the oil I want that also is approved by VW. My salesman said that Amsoil is a very good product and the dealership I spoke with siad it was fine also. We will not know till a Amsoil AFL user has a failure and deals with VWOA. I think in a court of law in America if Amsoil says it meets 505.01 spec and you had a failure. It would not be up to you or Amsoil to prove the oil was good but up to VW to prove it is not good.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The issue with Amsoil (in general) is that Amsoil themselves say that it meets or exceeds whatever standard you are talking about (505.01 in this case), but they have not gone through with the actual approval process to INDEPENDENTLY CERTIFY that it meets that standard.

VW publishes a list of oils that VW has approved against the 505.01 standard. There is no Amsoil oil to be found on that list.

That is different from saying the stuff is no good. But what it means is that IF something lubrication-related goes wrong, VW is not going to support warranty coverage on the grounds that you did not use oil that was officially approved to the 505.01 standard. Which means, you are going to have a battle on your hands.

There's the info the way I see it. Now it's your choice.