View Single Post
Old November 6th, 2019, 08:20   #3
Franko6

BTW: In you PM to me, you mentioned a bent tensioner stud. I am not so sure that was the cause of the timing belt disaster, but the end result. Usually, the stud bends because something else went very wrong. Also, as a rule, we don't necessarily replace tensioner stud or idler studs unless indicated by damage. If the tensioner roller was not hooked into it's detent properly, that could have caused the damage, but more than likely, something was not tightened properly or a poor quality part was installed and the belt jumped to cause the tensioner stud to bend.

When you are in disassembly phase, pay attention and I bet you find the real reason the disaster happened. Did you provide all the installation parts? Or did your mechanic? There is where the big 'UhOh!' could be...

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."--Benjamin Franklin

We custom manufacture all our guides from Manganese Bronze, for better heat transfer and wear characteristics. We also use a 'chisel' face on the valve guide, toward the valve head to keep carbon from driving up into the valve guide. It's the little incremental things like that, which make the cylinder heads we produce just a little bit better. But that is just one of many small improvements we employ.

Let me know in PM what you find out. I'm always interested in results.
417-232-4634
Franko6tdi@gmail.com

'02 80k grey leather, 99.5 R.I.P 153k
'85A2 NA 375k, '91 A3 290k Always Silver, Always a Jetta
Franko6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06920 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 15.68 Kb. compressed to 14.17 Kb. by saving 1.51 Kb. (9.64%)]