View Single Post
Old February 8th, 2015, 09:05   #7
Tots

TDI(s): 2002 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 45

I wish i had a simple problem that could be fixed with bleeding the system.

Reading this forum has been enormously helpful in fixing my car. It has gotten me through rebuilding the engine after catastrophic timing belt failure and converting it to a manual. I have read many threads on power steering problems involving air in the system. All of those problems were solved by replacing the pump or the low pressure hose. Or more commonly adding fluid to the system. I have done all of these things, I have even bought a second power steering pump just in case.

There are still three components that could be the source; the return line, the rack or the high pressure line. I don't want to replace all of them.

I have been using my mityvac to remove the air and assist in bleeding the system. It is attached to the return line where it connects to the reservoir. The hose that connects to the pump has been plugged. In doing this i hoped that applying vacuum to the system would allow me to hear where the air is entering the system. Air is indeed entering the system, but i could not quite pinpoint it. So i applied pressure to the system too see bubbles or a fluid leak. Nothing i could pressurize the system as much as mityvac would let me.

So the system would not hold vacuum at all but it would hold pressure.

Any thoughts?
Tots is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.07830 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 15.15 Kb. compressed to 13.72 Kb. by saving 1.43 Kb. (9.43%)]