Rough Idle

TDI
2000 Jetta
Car seems to idle rough sometimes. Especially when I am at a stop sign or stop light and depressing the brake. I let off the the brake and the idle seems to smooth out a little. Any suggestions or ideas of what's going on?
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
VW TDIs if you have some throttle and apply the brake the ECU backs off the fueling, but I doubt that you have both brake pedal and throttle at a stop with the manual. That's why I asked.
May be an injector issue. How many miles on the current nozzles and bodies if they're not original? Perhaps if you find someone near you that has VCDS they can log the injector balance at idle for you.

DougInFL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta 5-speed (Greasecar), 2002 Jetta TDI wagon auto, 2003 F350 7.3 CC LWB (soon to be Greasetruck)
Mine was running rough at idle the last few days. Been here in northern GA (very cold days) ....Looking forward to Florida in days to come.

The idle on mine smooths out when I get to a steady 1,000 rpm.

I'm thinking it's just a sensor that's not used to the cold weather. Also, my GP light is now flashing. Brake lights are working properly and so is the cruise control.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Is it when you are slowing down and depressing the brake or when you are actually stopped? If it is when you are slowing down, do some research on here about Slow Down Shudder or SDS.

TDI
2000 Jetta
thanks for all of your input. I ended up taking off the intake and egr and cleaned them. also replaced vacuum hoses. everything behaving well now. thanks for you input. invaluable.