RocketTDI

TDI
2009 JSW, DSG, Reflex Silver, Anthrocitr
New VW Tiguan: First Details

New VW Tiguan: First Details

• Trial Phase completed with a last hard test
• Tiguan comes with a completely new generation radio and navigation system
• The first SUV worldwide with Park Assist
• Offroad Mode activates an armada of assistance systems at the touch of a switch Chassis layout enables high reserves of agility and safety

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cf...ry/gcf/volkswagen/new-vw-tiguan-first-details

Volkswagen will complete the development phase of the new Tiguan with a final extreme test in Namibia. During the final acceptance drive on the African continent, the electronic components and chassis of the new SUV are the primary focus of testing. Considering the electronics, a technical highlight on board the Tiguan is of special interest for the testers: the completely new generation radio and navigation system. This was developed in close cooperation with the most important local Volkswagen operations in Europe, Asia and America. Worldwide development collaboration made it possible for a wider than ever pool of specialized know-how, and also the requirements of all markets, to influence the devices. The top system of the new line, with the designation RNS 510, has a 30 GB hard disk and is controlled with a touch screen. A rear-view camera enables a view behind in this case.

Completely new electronic systems also simplify offroad driving in the Tiguan. The particularly agile and dynamic SUV uses an innovative network of assistance systems with the name of “Offroad Mode”. Just on touch of a switch activates a whole armada of safety features, supporting the driver in a multitude of situation

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
darrelld said:
Me either, but...

It's pretty common for them to camouflage new models during the testing process. Lets hope that is the case here. In these photos, the headlights look like they are painted body color along the outlines but they still appear to have about the same shape as the concept car. Looks like the grill is also covered and of course, no "VW" logos on the body or even on the steering wheel. It looked like a Hyundai to me in those photos.

WDM

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Mk IV Wagon/2005/Reflex Silver
I'm sorry but that is one butt ugly vehicle. Looks like some designer took too much acid and tried to one-up a Santa Fe or Rav4. Nice features and the interior looks really nice but I wouldn't actually pay for one.

cheeba

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Audi TT 225
Ahhhh! They turned it into a Hyundai! Even the badges hint as much. Interesting how so few and subtle changes can turn a vehicle from pretty decent-looking to boringly generic.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

pdxgrease

Veteran Member
TDI
none
i was so disappointed when i saw those testing pictures. But now comparing and contrasting between concept and mule... everything seems to be there. They just create different lines through masking like the lights, different valence, grill - but if you study each thing the concept is sitting there underneath the veneer. I'm beginning to have a glimmer of hope that it might come around and look close to the concept.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
I heard it was comming the second quater of 08.... no word of the tdi though...

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
scrubber said:
Great comparison pics Scrubber , I really hope that the production model will look more like the concept and those 2 pics show that the front end will be like the Orange one.

It sucks to be enticed by a concept vehicle only to get a totally watered down version when it comes time for production.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Look mom, they made a Hyundai!

Any of these designs would have looked a thousand times better, especially the green one. :D But noooo... they had to make it look like a Korean piece of junk. Totally weak

Last edited:

lbhskier37

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet (2008 soon)
Thats the test vehicle, so they masked it up to look like a Hyundai so they don't get too many gawkers and curiuos folk.

Vipervnm

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 1
I'm guessing a lot of people here have never seen a disguised testing vehicle before. The character lines look damn close to the concept. I like that the ground clearance has been improved.

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
Yes, the vehicle is masked to look like a Hyundai. Very common for factory prototypes in public places. all the manufacturers do this, don't worry, it won't look at all like a hyundai when it arrives at your local dealer.

I'm just disapointed to see puny little brakes on it. The first mod I would do is figure out how to fit the HUGE Porsche brakes from the Touareg onto this car.

I'm intrigured by what this "Offroad button" does. The touareg is incredibly capable off road due to it's serious heavy duty 4WD system. I wonder what they did here...

They better offer the "Track and Field" model with the TDI engine. If the TDI Tiguan is only available in FWD, there's little reason to choose it over a Rabbit IMO.

Last edited:

V

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Lupin_the_3rd said:
I'm just disapointed to see puny little brakes on it. The first mod I would do is figure out how to fit the HUGE Porsche brakes from the Touareg onto this car.
Why do you want huge brakes? The Tiguan is miles lighter than the Touareg. Huge brakes aren't needed and they will only increase the unsprung weight.

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
V said:
Why do you want huge brakes? The Tiguan is miles lighter than the Touareg. Huge brakes aren't needed and they will only increase the unsprung weight.
1. Because they're badass. :cool:
2. I'll need them when I add a chip, injectors, and VNT20. :D
3. Ever towed a trailer weighing a couple thousand pounds? Down a steep mountain pass? You can never have brakes that are "too big". ;)

Edit: Worrying about unsprung weight on an SUV is like worrying about cargo capacity on a Lamborghini.

Last edited:

thespian666

TDI
1976 Mercedes 300d (no longer)
Great...another cool diesel for all kinds of $$$.

You know a TDI version is gonna be like $30K with options. Stripped down, maybe $25K.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
Lupin_the_3rd said:
1. Because they're badass. :cool:
2. I'll need them when I add a chip, injectors, and VNT20. :D
3. Ever towed a trailer weighing a couple thousand pounds? Down a steep mountain pass? You can never have brakes that are "too big". ;)

If you upgrade those components then you can upgrade the brakes with after market products also.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
Lupin_the_3rd said:
They better offer the "Track and Field" model with the TDI engine. If the TDI Tiguan is only available in FWD, there's little reason to choose it over a Rabbit IMO.
I agree 100%, although it looks as if there is a little more room in the cargo area.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
thespian666 said:
Great...another cool diesel for all kinds of $$$.

You know a TDI version is gonna be like $30K with options. Stripped down, maybe $25K.
My sentiments exactly. Maybe someday we'll get a Lupo over here...you know, a diesel under $20k...a diesel more of us can afford new :rolleyes:

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
greengeeker said:
My sentiments exactly. Maybe someday we'll get a Lupo over here...you know, a diesel under $20k...a diesel more of us can afford new :rolleyes:
Hard to find ANY decent car under $20k these days. Heck, a 4-door Rabbit with a sunroof is over $18k.

A Tiguan w/ 2.0 TDI and 4WD for $25k would be great!

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
One might argue that if the vehicles that are not nearly as nice as a Tiguan are 25-30k, why should the better vehicle be lesser? Or even vehicles in the same class? It sure would be cool if we could buy Dom for 5 dollars, but then nobody would want it would they?

TDIx4

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI, 1999 Jetta TDI 5 speed, 2006 2500HD Duramax Compund Turbo!!
Cant wait for it to come out! I dont care how much it costs, that is a nice vehicle. 2.0 TDI with 4WD dosent sound bad at all.

JerryV

TDI
2001 Jetta
Could anybody speculate what kind of towing capacity a TDI 4WD Tiguan will have. I would love to 3500#(half the Toureg), but very unlikley.

TDIx4

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI, 1999 Jetta TDI 5 speed, 2006 2500HD Duramax Compund Turbo!!
Could possibly be around 3500, becuase the towing capacity of a dodge sprinter(standard light duty) has a towing capacity of 7500.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
JerryV said:
Could anybody speculate what kind of towing capacity a TDI 4WD Tiguan will have. I would love to 3500#(half the Toureg), but very unlikley.
What's the towing capacity of a Passat? How about a gas 3.2-liter Passat with 4-Motion?