MN Chat Thread

astrolumen

TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5-speed Stock
It was a pleasure doing business with you! I'll miss the car, but I know it's in good hands.

I bought the car from Bjorn, nicest guy you'll ever meet. Thanks for the easy transaction!
I'm excited to get insurance on it now and start driving.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Mills Fleet Farm raised their price for Mobil Delvac 1 ESP gallons, from $23.99 to $24.39 a gallon. But it's still a great price, and a $12/gallon rebate makes it a super deal.

The FF I went to had both the old and new Delvac -- API CJ-4 and CK-4. But they only had four gallon jugs of the CK-4, so I grabbed those plus one of the older CJ-4. I don't know what the supply situation is at the other FF stores.

Rebate offer ends May 31 2017

https://mobildelvac.com/en/promotion/mobil-delvac-promotions/save-up-to-60-dollars-with-mobil-delvac

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
How much oil do you go through?
I drive a lot, and lately a lot more. It used to be about 4000 miles a month, but now it's going to be over 5000. So using a normal 10k-mile OCI and normal topping-up between oil changes ..... it has to be at least eight or ten gallons a year. Right now I have eight in stock.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Oh, I do about double that... in a year. :p

Now I remember you have a courier job. Certainly savings to be had with the tdi. Another local guy has 5XXk miles on his ranger doing courier work and managing rental properties, probably getting 20-25 MPG with a 4cyl/5spd/2wd... Funny to think about around a hundred thousand dollars going into his gas tank.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh, I do about double that... in a year. :p

Now I remember you have a courier job. Certainly savings to be had with the tdi. Another local guy has 5XXk miles on his ranger doing courier work and managing rental properties, probably getting 20-25 MPG with a 4cyl/5spd/2wd... Funny to think about around a hundred thousand dollars going into his gas tank.
Hard to believe that a Ford Ranger pickup could last so long. My Golf's average fuel cost since new has been about 7.3 cents a mile. Even with gasoline being at least 10% cheaper than diesel on average, your friend must have paid 12 cents/mile. That difference is money in my pocket, several thousand dollars a year.

Namakan

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 2011 JSW (gone), 2004 Jetta (gone)
Looking for Jarama 15" wheels

Does anyone have a nice set of Jarama's laying around they want to get rid of?

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Hey MN people I have a Grey Leather seat set for a MK4 Golf. Bought it on Ebay and I have spent so much money on my car I will sell it to you just make me a reasonable offer.

I live in North Mpls so text 3202671807 and come look at it or chrisidzerda@gmail.com either way I will send you my address. I am putting it here instead of the classifieds as it is heavy. Of course I have a pickup truck and if we reach a price agreement I can put it all in the truck and deliver it

Namakan

Veteran Member
TDI

marasm

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Auto
Hey, guys. I was wondering what options I had for a roof rack. I am looking for something inexpensive(ish), low profile, and preferably removable. I'd like to be able to use it for a canoe and/or a kayak, and probably a bike or two. I'd like to buy used off craigslist. Ideas?

I drive all the way to and from Fridley everyday, so I see TDIs fairly often. I see a black one between New Richmond and Stillwater most mornings. This afternoon in Mounds View some dude pulled up behind me in a gasser and started revving. It's fun to spot the TDIs.

ottoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon ALH
Hey, guys. I was wondering what options I had for a roof rack. I am looking for something inexpensive(ish), low profile, and preferably removable. I'd like to be able to use it for a canoe and/or a kayak, and probably a bike or two. I'd like to buy used off craigslist. Ideas?
I drive all the way to and from Fridley everyday, so I see TDIs fairly often. I see a black one between New Richmond and Stillwater most mornings. This afternoon in Mounds View some dude pulled up behind me in a gasser and started revving. It's fun to spot the TDIs.
Do you drive a sedan or wagon? On my '03 Jetta Wagon, my SUPER low cost option is to lash 2x4's perpendicular across the roof load bars. They extend about a foot wider than the car with 1" eye bolts screwed into the middle and each end. I am able to fit 2 canoes on top of them, secured with rope.
I don't have an image of my car, but it looks similar to this:

Namakan

Veteran Member
TDI

Here are a couple I was considering but found another solution.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/pts/6102781621.html

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/spo/6101227899.html

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I love my yakima and thule racks. Find a good cheap one on craigslist, double check the width.

If you get yakima Q-clips, you can get the right Q adapters from ebay. So if you find a rack that doesn't specifically mount to your car, you can get the right adapters usually.

marasm

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Auto
Thanks, guys. I have the sedan, not the wagon.

This afternoon I picked up a Yakima roof rack. 48 inch bars and the Q towers. $120. It didn't come with the clips, so I will need some Q103 clips and the pads. Is this all I will need to get going?

Last edited:

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 2012 Passat SE 6 spd MT
Would anyone help a brother out and swap wheels with me if you are doing the buyback? 225 45 R17, 2013 Jetta sport wagon.

Here's the story. I bought a Jetta Sportswagon cheap and intended to sell it back to Volkswagen. It has almost new tires on but they are like tractor tires, ice and snow tires super aggressive tread and really loud on the road. I have a 2012 Passat that I planned on keeping. But I recently found out the clutch is damaged, and it doesn't make sense for me to hold onto the Passat. So I will be keeping the Jetta Sportswagon and giving the Passat back to Volkswagen. But the tires are driving me crazy on the Jetta Sportswagon. If anyone has a set of good all season tires for my Jetta, from a car you plan to give back to Volkswagen, let me know. I'll come right to your house and swap my wheels for yours. If you need a few bucks to make it work I am all ears.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

AronS

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Sedan Premium 6 Speed Manual
I'm looking for a mechanic in Northern Minnesota. Anyone from Duluth have any experience with Autobahn Service or Foreign affairs and/or have a preference? Or, if you have a recommendation closer to Grand Rapids/Hibbing, that's even better. Thank you.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Cambridge is only 2 hours and 30 minutes from Hibbing. Nick aka Greengeeker is a very professional TDI guru. Schedule way in advance for Major work.

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I've heard of a VW shop in Hill City (south of grand rapids), but haven't had any luck getting them to answer their phone. Was trying to have them do some work on my brother's vw a while back. Maybe look them up and try?

I think the place is called Hill City VW or something along those lines.

AronS

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Sedan Premium 6 Speed Manual
I've heard of a VW shop in Hill City (south of grand rapids), but haven't had any luck getting them to answer their phone. Was trying to have them do some work on my brother's vw a while back. Maybe look them up and try?

I think the place is called Hill City VW or something along those lines.
I've heard of them too, but I don't know if its legitimate. I've driven through Hill City multiple times and never seen them. Unless someone on here posts something about it, I'll probably try one of the two places in Duluth that I mentioned. I was just curious if anyone used them.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've heard of them too, but I don't know if its legitimate. I've driven through Hill City multiple times and never seen them. Unless someone on here posts something about it, I'll probably try one of the two places in Duluth that I mentioned. I was just curious if anyone used them.
Who you go to depends on what kind of work you need done. Almost any competent mechanic can do brake work, suspension work, the charging and starting systems, etc. You only need a TDI expert for stuff that is TDI-specific: the injection system, turbo issues, and timing belt changes. And if you want an upgraded engine tune, of course.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Hey all, I am in the Onamia/Brainerd/Baxter area for a few days and will be driving back to KC when my business is complete on Friday, so if you see a white BMW 335d rolling through it might be me :)