How much CCA does the 1.9 TDI engine require?

97Jedi111

TDI
1997 Jetta TDI
I am buying a new battery and I was wondering how many cold crankjng amps (CCA) should the battery have to effectively start the TDI? The one that is in the car has 650. I want just a little more than is required. Also I was told to buy an interstate battery. Any thoughts?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
CCA is less important than amp hrs. Load from the GPs etc make some high CCA batteries fall short. The OEM VW battery has actually been a pretty good buy at the dealership (just make certain they get you the TDI/not gasser battery). Not sure about the '97 in your sig, but the MkIV were a group 94 size/type. They are not stocked everywhere, so you may have to search a bit.
And in the search dept, this has been hashed over a ton, so give the search feature a try and you will get a bunch of reading and facts.

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
If you can find a dealer who has one reasonably priced (~$125), just get the battery from the dealer. It is a good unit; get one rated at 80 Ah. It displays european specs, so it won't list CA and CCA. So make sure you see the 80 Ah. If that number is lower, it will be either one for a NB (a little less - in the 70s) or a gasser. If they show you the gasser battery, just insist on one for a 2000-2003 Golf or Jetta TDI. Insist. If they act like you don't know what you are asking about or they claim not to have one, walk out and tell them they are a disservice to customers like you.

Then you'll be stuck in the world built for other cars, but not quite yours. The battery you have now will be OK in the summer, but it will be iffy in the winter. During a cold snap you may have severe difficulties running the glow plugs sufficiently and then cranking the engine fast enough to start. So get as many CCAs as you can - I'd go for more than 900 if at all possible.

Then do a search to see what case you need. IIRC (and that is suspect these days) a 94 will work, as should a 48, but the 48 will be too low in capacity most likely.

Good luck!

97Jedi111

TDI
1997 Jetta TDI
I apologize if this issue has been delt with before in another post. I am a newb...lol... But thanks for the info. I have actually never bought a battery from the dealer. Funny thing is I always buy OEM parts but never a battery :) $120 doesnt sound too bad. My battery right now has failed me once since I bought the car so I am gonna put it in another car of mine thats a gasser before I kill it completely.

Rual817

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI ALH
Many mfg use simular #'s, I believe 94R is as large as posible. Here is what I have on my '00 Jetta TDI; EverStart Maxx 94R, 910a/765cca. Temps got down to 8f this past winter in NTexas, and I had no prob with cranking.

(add)
Did some searching and your car is asking for a style 41. Everstart is a Maxx 41-4 (?/?cca) and Interstate Mega-Tron 41 (815/650)

Last edited:

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Many mfg use simular #'s, I believe 94R is as large as posible. Here is what I have on my '00 Jetta TDI; EverStart Maxx 94R, 910a/765cca. Temps got down to 8f this past winter in NTexas, and I had no prob with cranking.

(add)
Did some searching and your car is asking for a style 41. Everstart is a Maxx 41-4 (?/?cca) and Interstate Mega-Tron 41 (815/650)
8*F?? That's a nice seasonal fall day around here....;)

But, yes the NeverStart group 94 (which I have in the winter driver '01 Jetta) is a decent buy with a three year replacement warranty. They did go up in price a fair amount last year, they were $75 prior to then. The nearest dealer is 85 miles for me, so alternatives sometimes have to do.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I've been using the Wa*mart 94 for about three years. I'm thinking it was "weak" right out the gate......still seems weak. A really cold winter would take it under. Anyway, prior to the 94 battery, due to circumstances beyond my control, I made an emergency purchase ........regular Everstart Gasser battery. It did extremely well for about three years. It now resides in my Vanagon!

So, depending on your geographic location, you could probably get away with something less than EO specifications!

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
...Did some searching and your car is asking for a style 41. Everstart is a Maxx 41-4 (?/?cca) and Interstate Mega-Tron 41 (815/650)
I don't think this is right. I believe the early tdi had group 48.
You may be able to get a 94R in the A3 Jetta.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I have a 94R in my old 1984 MK1 with the 1.6 diesel engine.........tight fit, but does work.

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
The 4 MK 3s I have use a group 41. I haven't had any trouble starting because of battery capacity, so this battery is up to the job. I think the group 48 is for the NB.

The following dimensions are from Exide:

Group 41 11 3/16L 6 7/8 W 6 7/8 H

Group 94R 12 7/16 L 6 15/16 W 7 1/2 H

Group 48 11 L 6 3/4 W 7 7/16 H

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
And the 2015's are also using the Group 48 / H6. If you can't find the 94R, the Group 48 will work fine.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
800+ CCA's in my Sears AGM, 94R battery. Still has the 80 amp hour, but the added CCA's make a very significant difference from the OEM Varta which was very weak in sub freezing temperatures.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Newbs can't win. They're either told to search or if they search they get a comment about an old thread.